Welcome Guest!
 Nervenet
Speaking in Downing Street, Mr Eno told The Independent: "We are saying that the  jb
 Sep 16, 2005 06:55 PDT

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/politics/article313057.ece

Arts world unites for plea to pull troops out of Iraq
By Ben Russell, Political Correspondent
Published: 16 September 2005

A coalition of artists, musicians and writers have joined anti-war
campaigners to make a collective appeal to Tony Blair to pull British
troops out of Iraq by the end of the year.

The diverse group, including the musician Brian Eno, the actor and film
director Mark Rylance and the guitar player John Williams, as well as
100 academics, MPs and activists, signed an open letter of protest
condemning the continued occupation of Iraq as "an unmitigated
disaster".

The letter, which was also signed by the film director Ken Loach, the
Body Shop founder Anita Roddick and the poet Benjamin Zephaniah, urged
Mr Blair to start moves to pull troops out of Iraq when the US-led
alliance's United Nations mandate expires at the end of December.

Mr Eno and the film star Julie Christie delivered the letter to Downing
Street yesterday, the day after a suicide bomber killed more than 150
in Baghdad's bloodiest day since the fall of Saddam. And in the past
week, three more British soldiers have been killed in Iraq, bringing to
95 the number of British service personnel killed in there since March
2003.

The text states: "The war and occupation of Iraq have been an
unmitigated disaster, both for the people of Iraq and Britain.
Countless innocent Iraqis have lost their lives and still more
innocents have been killed on our streets.

"British soldiers, many of whom do not want to serve in Iraq, have been
killed, wounded or maimed."

The letter argues that a pullout would stop Iraqi deaths at the hands
of British troops and make Britain's streets safer.

Speaking in Downing Street, Mr Eno told The Independent: "We are saying
that the war is a disaster and has failed in every way and is
continuing to fail. Personally I'm saying I do not want to be
associated with a bunch of red necks with big guns and small minds.

"People who were perhaps agnostic about the war have become much more
sceptical about it. I want to say to Mr Blair that he would not be that
badly off if he admitted he had made the wrong decision." Ms Christie
added: "What we are doing is encouraging the growth of terrorism,
despite Tony Blair's vociferous denials.

"People will not stop fighting against occupation," Asked what her
message was to Mr Blair, she said: "It's hard to talk to someone who
isn't listening."

The letter was drawn up by the Stop the War coalition. The group is
hoping for a huge turnout at a demonstration in London on 24 September,
on the eve of the Labour Party conference.

Labour left-wingers are planning to raise the war at the conference,
and are hoping for a significant demonstration to increase the pressure
on Mr Blair to act. Jeremy Corbyn, the MP for Islington North, said
campaigners were attempting to secure a debate on an emergency
resolution on Iraq at Labour's conference later this month.

He said: "The message of the eve of the Labour Party conference will
remind Tony Blair of the anger about the Iraq war. We want to ... build
support for the march on September 24."

Other signatories include Professor Richard Dawkins, the scientist,
Billy Bragg, Tony Woodley, the general secretary of the Transport and
General Workers' Union and the playwright Harold Pinter.

The letter to the Prime Minister

The war and occupation of Iraq have been an unmitigated disaster both
for the people of Iraq and Britain. Countless innocent Iraqis have lost
their lives and still more innocents have been killed on our streets.
British soldiers, many of whom do not want to serve in Iraq, have been
killed, wounded or maimed.

The United Nations' mandate for the occupation of Iraq expires this
December. We call on you to initiate the first steps to end this
carnage by announcing that British troops will be brought home by the
end of this year.

If you do this, you can stop the killing of any more Iraqis by British
troops. You can save the lives of our soldiers. You can make Britain's
streets safer. You can defend civil liberties rather than erode them.

[...]

"But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning
to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle,
shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a
place;' some swearing, some crying for a surgeon, some upon their wives
left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their
children rawly left. I am afeard there are few die well that die in a
battle; for how can they charitably dispose of any thing, when blood is
their argument?" - William Shakespeare, Henry V: Act 4