Welcome Guest!
 Nervenet
77 Million CD  7izf5-@sneakemail.com
 Mar 27, 2006 03:43 PST

This list has been rather moribund lately so I thought I would post something about the 77 Million CD.

I had the good fortune to attend the 77 Million installation the day it opened last week. A short description may be found at enoweb, for those interested, so I won't repeat that here.

Of course, I purchased the limited edition CD that was released to commemorate the show. I was expecting it to be the kind of installation CD you might expect to find connected to an installation, such as the Compact Forest Proposal or earlier installation CDs.

However, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the 9 tracks (running about 42 min.) are more like a Curiosities CD in that they are individual songs and cover a range of different styles. A few tracks definitely fall into the 'The Drop' derived style. One of them sounds very much like a track I have heard somewhere before but I'm not sure where and I'm not compelled to try to track it down. Iím sure that those more familiar than I with Enoís output would identify its closely related song without problem.

The rest of the songs are harder to pin down. One track, Targa, reminds me of something that could be connected to Passengers. An interesting twist is that it has a female vocalist adding background textures (no lyrics). Only one track would I put in the 'ambient' category (Surf Birds).

The final track is more than 18 min. long and is definitely the most experimental and has the least conventional structure, sometimes devolving into electronic bleeps and blips with sparse washes of synths and/or synthesized/treated choral voices. It's quite unusual.

I also purchased the the 77 Million computer program which is being sold in advance of its release later in April. I installed it and played it for awhile to make sure it worked OK but I have been very busy and havenít had time to indulge myself at length. The images were not as vibrant as those I saw at the installation but that might be related to my monitor, as the monitors at the installation were quite large and high resolution, I imagine. In any case, it will make for some interesting background viewing. The audio is typical of that I have heard from installations of recent years. Both video and audio are generative, so that you will never (probably) hear or see the same thing twice, which is pretty cool in and of itself.

Mark A

Protect yourself from spam,
use http://sneakemail.com