Welcome Guest!
 Nervenet
Re: new Eno piece golden (program notes)  mijmu-@aol.com
 Jan 29, 2007 20:11 PST

from the 2007 SF Tape festival program notes

Golden uses Scriabin's 'mystic chord', which he himself called 'the synthetic Chord', which is also known as "The Promethean Chord" - containing the notes C,F#,Bb, E,A,D. The piece is arranged in such a way that consecutive notes fall onto the 16 different speakers, so any sequence of eight notes would occur, one note in each pair of speakers, moving around the room, with the ninth note falling back in the first speakers. Since the piece is in free time, with some notes hanging for long periods and others following each other quickly, the speed of movement is constantly varing. I hope this will give the impression of a slow rotation, a cloud of sound to get lost in.

-----Original Message-----
From: mijmu-@aol.com
To: nerv-@topica.com
Sent: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 11:02 AM
Subject: new Eno piece golden

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
                         Nervenet digest
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=    at the 3rd Annual tape music festival that ran for 3 nights here in San Francisco
I was one of the 187 lucky people who got to hear the world premier of "Golden" on Saturday night the 27th....   as far as i know it sold out..and the house held 187 people (but i get the feeling they let more people in judging by the number of people i saw sitting on the floor)     the program lasted for 2 hours (with a 10 minute intermission)......    the New Brian Eno piece (Golden) was left til Last.... to close the show. as an added bonus a new file of "Golden" was uploaded before the show making the Eno piece run for around 15 minutes (not 6 as mentioned in the program)    we all sat in the dark and the lights were dimmed on briefly between pieces.   it was awesome to hear the music played around the room with the multi speaker system they had set up.   musically I would compare Eno's Piece it to higher pitched "Neroli" that moved just a bit quicker. (i don't think a single note was below a middle C)......I had mental pictures of flakes falling into water and quickly melting away.    currently i'm at work but would be happy to type in the "short" program notes later.    - jim schafer-    Check out the new AOL. Most comprehensive set of free safety and security tools, free access to millions of high-quality videos from across the web, free AOL Mail and more.