Welcome Guest!
 Nervenet
Re: Muslimgauze  Francis Dutton
 Feb 09, 2008 18:06 PST

Damn! ...another blank.

Anyway, I just want to lend my support to anyone plugging Muslimgauze
(aka Bryn Jones, 1961 - 1999). Whilst many of his recordings are hardly
what you'd call comfort food, there is enough there to entice even the
ambient-only Eno fan. You just have to search through what you can find,
and pick out what you like... that's what I did anyway. He's a major
talent, using live recordings of middle eastern instruments & voices
rearranged, with electronica added. His early "E. g. Oblique Graph"
stuff is less interesting to my ears... more an Eno-influenced also-ran.
But he really gets into his stride after he takes on the Muslimgauze
moniker.

His politics were somewhat uncompromising, but he is not without a sense
of humour... track titles such as "Ultra-Orthodox And No Cheating" and
"The Turkish Manipulator Of Limbs" attest to that.

I'm sure Mr. Eno would have been aware of his existence, and would
undoubtably have been a fan.

The "official" website is here:

http://www.muslimgauze.info/index.html

..and all the info you need is here:

http://www.muslimgauze.info/articles/wikipedia(article).html

...and here's a pic... note the studio tan:

http://www.nndb.com/people/680/000112344/bryn-jones.jpg

cheers-

Francis.