Welcome Guest!
 Nervenet
John Cage refers to Brian Eno  Bernd Kretzschmar
 May 13, 2008 02:18 PDT

hi nervenetters,

I just discovered an 1985 interview with John Cage where he refers to Brian Eno (and his music):

``Montague: Do you have any interest in pop music?

Cage: No, but every now and then I'm obliged to be curious because someone says, for example, Brian Eno likes my work very much. So what do I think of his? I don't have a playing machine, so it's awkward to find out. Recently I've been making etchings in California, and most of the artists that go to the Crown Point Press like to have music played while they are working. So there is a sound system. Realizing that, I asked them if they had some Brian Eno I could hear, and they did. So I heard some. What I liked about it were the silences in it. What I didn't like about it was the fact that after each silence the same kind of thing happened that happened after the first silence-or before the first silence. He had too much of an idea plus the idea of silence, and I liked that idea.

Also the silence had a kind of unpredictable length.``

(the full interview can be found here:
http://www.ubuweb.com/papers/cage_montague_interview.html)

best regards, Bernd
--
249 Spiele für nur 1 Preis. Die GMX Spieleflatrate schon ab 9,90 Euro.
Neu: Asterix bei den Olympischen Spielen: http://flat.games.gmx.de