Welcome Guest!
 NJ Randonneurs
RE: tough tires  P. S. K.
 Nov 02, 2006 13:17 PST

Until this past year I've always ridden Continentals,
but now I'm riding
28c Avocet Cross II K tires—"Wire Bead / Low Profile
Inverted Tread / Protective Composite Shield"—and am
very satisfied.

--- Ben Tufford <bikn-@optonline.net> wrote:

 I am a long time user of Continental GP 4-season
tires. They offer a
good combination of their more race oriented models
with added flat
protection. The added flat protection is achieved by
adding additional
plies under the rubber instead of simply making the
rubber thicker. This
means they tend to wear more quickly then a
touring-specific tire.

I've done all my brevets and training on the size
25c 4-season tires.
They may disappoint those that are looking for an
ultra-durable tire. On
the other hand, they tend to offer a better handling
ride and improved
cornering.

I'm convinced of the superior flat protection. The
last pair I replaced
was worn down to threads but continued to provide
trouble-free miles of
riding.

A similar but more durable tire to consider is the
Continental
Gatorskin. It has a thicker rubber compound and
different tread pattern
but shares many of the characteristics from the
4-Season model.

Ben "Biknben" Tufford
bikn-@optonline.net

Leroy Varga wrote:

Continental's 4 Seasons and Specialized "armadilla"
bike tires both have
Kevlar-Aramid bands on road and side wall areas, and
are both "tough".
Armadillo's are slightly bulkier and heavier, so
speed seekers generally
go for the lighter tire. Tire diameter clearance:
trading a 28C
armadillo for a Panaracer 28C was tight in the main
frame fork, so I had
to get an available 23C armadillo (maybe a 25C could
have worked) to
give me rotation clearance.