Welcome Guest!
 NJ Randonneurs
Re: tough tires  Tom Rosenbauer
 Nov 02, 2006 13:48 PST

I've been riding 23mm Conti 4-Seasons as well with very good results.   I
like the design of the sidewall that withstands getting nicked by road
debris pretty well.

If I can somehow get past the first 100 miles on a new tire, I often will be
flat-free for next couple thousand miles.   I find I get around 3000 miles
out of a rear tire. When the rear tire is worn to nearly the threads, I'll
put a "semi-new" tire on the front and move the old front tire to the rear.
By "semi-new", I mean a tire I previously bought and let sit around for a
couple of months -- I find that a tire that has aged for a while is a bit
more durable.

Note that you always want the best rubber on the front wheel. If you don't
routinely rotate the front rubber on the front wheel and instead wait until
it is worn, you run the risk of a tire failure that will certainly ruin your
day.

I run my tires at 100 psi -- with a rider weight of 190+ lbs, I find this a
good compromise between rolling resistance and comfort while avoiding pinch
flats.

Regards,

-Tom Rosenbauer
Eastern PA RBA