Welcome Guest!
 NJ Randonneurs
RE: tough tires  Lulu Weschler
 Oct 22, 2006 22:51 PDT

Agreed, as long as they handle well, and are not 'boxy' such that you feel
you have no traction on curves.
I am riding on as close to bullet-proof tires as possible here in Denmark,
as the pavement is wet all the time this time of year (and my bike has a
'foot-brake,' so I'd have to patch the tube with the wheel still on the
bike) but I don't have to concern myself with cornering here. I once used
an inexpensive set of tires in NJ and found myself scared all the time at
how poorly they seemed to grip on even the mildest cornering.
I hope others will offer thoughts on this, as I do not know the answer.
Take care all,
--Lulu Weschler

-----Original Message-----
From: Leroy Varga [mailto:leroy-@verizon.net]
Sent: Monday, October 23, 2006 3:31 AM
To: njrando-@topica.com
Subject: tough tires

Tire failure going down a hill is a bikers fear-I wish a speedy recovery for
Mary and Kelly.
I recently replaced a Panaracer T serv for messenger (Aramid belt) tire that
had a cut side wall "flat" with a Kevlar "Armadillo" Specialized Turbo tire.
I also have a Specialized All Condition "armadillo" for the other wheel--and
have had years of "flat free" riding. Do you just cross your fingers, or do
you depend on a super tire? Racing tires seem to be light weight rather
than "tough". Comment?