Welcome Guest!
 Poems
"The Invitation"  Jill Snyder
 Apr 19, 1999 13:33 PDT
Hi everyone,
Thanks Mimi for Maya Angelou's "Phenomenal Women"! I once heard her
recite it live, and just before she read the poem, she said, "By the
way, men are phenomenal too, but they have to write their OWN poem." :-)

Anyway, I'd like to share a poem that I recently read aloud at a
wedding.

Enjoy,
Jill

THE INVITATION    by Oriah Mountain Dreamer (a Native American)

It doesn't interest me what you do for a living.
I want to know what you ache for,
And if you dare to dream of meeting your heart's longing.
I want to know if you will risk looking like a fool for love,
For your dreams, and for the adventure of being alive.
It doesn't interest me what planets are squaring your moon,
I want to know if you have touched the center of your own sorrow,
I want to know if you can sit with pain, mine or your own,
Without moving to hide it or fade it or fix it.
I want to know if you can be with joy, mine or your own;
If you can dance with wildness and let the ecstasy fill you
To the tips of your fingers and toes.
It doesn't interest me if the story you are telling me is true
I want to know if you can disappoint another to be true to yourself;
I want to know if you can be faithful and therefore be trustworthy.
I want to know if you can see beauty
Even when it is not pretty every day,
And if you can source your life from God's presence.
I want to know if you can live with failure, yours and mine.
and still stand on the edge of a lake
And shout to the silver of the full moon, "Yes!"
It doesn't interest me who you are, how you came to be here.
I want to know if you will stand in the center of the fire with me,
And not shrink back.
It doesn't interest me where or what or with whom you have studied.
I want to know what sustains you from the inside
When all else falls away.
I want to know if you can be alone with yourself,
And if you truly like the company you keep in the empty moments.