Welcome Guest!
 POLITICAL DIARY
PD #10: GROUNDS FOR IMPEACMENT: Bush Foreknowledge/Cover-up of 9-11  Joyce Lynn, Editor
 Jan 21, 2003 19:32 PST
POLITICAL DIARY
The Inside Source for News

Joyce Lynn, Editor
By email: politicaldiary3 at hotmail dot com
www.topica.com/lists/politicaldiary
For archived editions: Click on Read this List

POLITICAL DIARY, based on the truth-telling power of dreams, is
founded on the premise each of us has an Inside Source, which can reveal
the truth that will bring wholeness. Through commentary, news reporting,
tips, and other journalistic tools, POLITICAL DIARY informs about the
stories behind the news so the populace can make informed choices.

Issue #10
January 2003

In this Issue:

From the Editor’s Desk: Grounds for Impeachment: Foreknowledge/Cover-up
of 9-11

Beating the Drums for Justice: First Calls for Bush Impeachment for 9-11

Out of the Silence: More Calls and Questions

Excerpts from the Joint Congressional Inquiry of 9-11

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FROM THE EDITOR’S DESK:

A Panasonic cordless phone like the one in my room. Its antenna points
left toward a sea-foam green legal pad like the one I was using to take
notes about 9-11. Then, I heard the words, “You should have a television
show.” This is the dream I remembered waking up one morning last July.

Because the antenna pointed to the left, (the work side according to my
personal dream dictionary), I interpreted this as dream guidance to make
a legal case about the Bush administration’s involvement in 9-11 and
tell (the telephone) about it.

I wrote in my journal: This dream is about showing (the television)
people how to use their dream insights. Both of these efforts – the
legal case against G.W. Bush and his administration and using dream
guidance to affect social change – should encompass multi-media venues
(Panasonic – all sounds/modalities).

Over the next several months, I used this guidance. I drew on previous
issues of POLITICAL DIARY, especially PD #5: The Complicity Connection:
What Did the Bush administration Know and When Did it Know It? (December
2001) and PD #6: Misguided White Guy: George H.W. Bush is No Hot Tubber
(April 2002). What emerged was the legal argument presented in PD #8:
Law of Conspiracy, Conspiracy of Silence (September 2002).

That article asserts that the U.S. Justice Department charging John
Walker Lindh with conspiracy to commit murder could haunt the Bush
administration, whose top officials remained silent about warnings and
other issues before, during, and after the event of September 11. During
the prison uprising in Afghanistan, one CIA agent was killed. At least
3,000 more people died during the attack on the U.S.

In late November, I discussed a potential TV show with another 9-11
investigator. I favored a legal focus, he a broader tent, so we decided
to go our separate ways. After our meeting, I also had a dream that said
I was “an hour early” for the TV show.

At a community meeting on 9-11 held in San Francisco December 19, I
mentioned impeachment as a legal remedy for the Bush administration’s
foreknowledge and cover-up of 9-11. Another participant seconded the
idea calling for urgency – before the drumbeats of war drowned out other
news. The Bush administration has cleverly fabricated an attack on Iraq
so that the issue has dominated the news since the 2002 election
campaigns. As a result, news about 9-11, the failing economy, and Enron
and other corporate scandals are hardly mentioned in the media.

In PD # 9 (December 2002), the Editor’s Note says of Bush’s appointment
of former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger to head the Independent
Commission investigating 9-11: “After his resignation, Kissinger called
the attacks ‘totally unexpected’ and said they ‘came from a quarter no
one would have thought.’”

PD asks: “Was Kissinger hiding in a cave or is Bush so arrogant he
thinks we still don’t know?”

In the six months since the dream tip about the legal case, my focus
wandered. I wasted time working on another 9-11 project, crafting a
business plan, and writing redundant stories. Following dream guidance
has proven my nemesis ever since I remembered my first dream in 1984,
three years after I moved to the West Coast from the intellectual,
right-brained environment of Washington, D.C.

I know that dream guidance is always right and true. Sometimes it takes
a winding course to determine its meaning. I know the rewards and
results of listening to these nocturnal gifts. So, my promise for 2003
to PD readers, myself, and, of course, to the Source of dreams is to
share cultural-political dream guidance as quickly as possible in case
it might inspire you to find ways to benefit our world. I also promise
to focus with laser-like intensity on the political issues Inside Source
reveals. I urge you to adopt similar resolutions.

Future issues of POLITICAL DIARY will continue the 9-11 beat. Through
investigative, interpretive, and intuitive reporting, PD will cover the
Executive, Congress, and Judiciary, and political activists; future
issues of POLITICAL DIARY will continue reporting on the policies, the
players, and the actions.

Bush said on September 16, 2001, five days after the assault on the
U.S., “Never (in) anybody’s thought processes . . . about how to protect
America did we ever think that the evil doers would fly not one but four
commercial aircraft into precious U.S. targets…never.”

PD believes its investigations, archived at
www.topica.com/lists/politicaldiary, and those of other independent
researchers combined with findings from the Congressional investigation
point to “grounds for impeachment” against G.W. Bush for his
administration’s foreknowledge of 9-11 and cover-up of its
negligence/complicity in the event.

Dream on,

Joyce Lynn
Editor
POLITICAL DIARY

BEATING THE DRUMS FOR JUSTICE:
First Calls for Bush’s Impeachment for 9-11

By

Joyce Lynn

The “i” word in connection with 9-11 has come out of the closet as
activists and citizens call for the impeachment of G. W. Bush and other
administration officials for their foreknowledge and cover-up of the
terrorist attacks on the U.S.

A delegation of about 30 people on January 15 visited the office of Palo
Alto congresswoman Anna Eshoo (D-Ca) urging her to introduce articles of
impeachment against Bush for his “crimes of 9-11.”

“The administration is lying to the American people and trying to
cover-up the truth about 9-11,” said organizer Carol Brouillet, a member
of the Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom.

With local television cameras rolling, a staffer to Rep. Anna Eshoo
(D-Ca) said she would relay the groups’ concerns.

At a community meeting on 9-11 the following night, Brouillet urged
attendees to launch similar visits to their members of Congress.

Referring to the sign popular at peace marches, Brouillet asserted,
“Regime change begins at home.”

The march came a year after Brouillet led a delegation to Eshoo’s office
and to the San Francisco office of California Democratic senator Dianne
Feinstein demanding a Congressional investigation of 9-11.

At that time, the group raised questions about the business
relationships of the Bush and bin Ladin families through the Carlyle
Group, the failure of fighter jets to intercept the four hijacked planes
in violation of standard procedures, and U.S. oil interests in the
Caspian Sea Basin.

With pressure from 9-11 families and despite administration objections,
a joint House-Senate Committee was set up to investigate the
intelligence communities and 9-11. Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney
urged then Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle (D-S.D.) to limit the
inquiries.

Because of the administration’s failure to fully cooperate with the
Joint Committee and because the Committee’s scope was limited to the
intelligence communities, 9-11 families pushed for an independent
commission. Legislation established the commission late last year.

Possibly the first to sound the 9-11 impeachment siren were two veteran
Democratic strategists. In June 2002, Bob Fertik and David Lytel
launched The Buck Stops Here on their Democrats.com web site. Similar to
Homeland Security chief Tom Ridge’s color-coded system of terrorists’
alerts, Fertik and Lytel have compiled a devastating indictment of Bush,
Cheney, National Security Advisor Condoleezza Rice, and Defense
Secretary Donald Rumsfeld.

Their call for impeachment asserts Bush allowed the September 11
terrorist attacks to succeed by ignoring numerous warnings, failing to
take precautions against hijackings, and then lying about it afterwards.
As of January 16, the Buck’s electronic petition to impeach Bush had
4,774 “signatures.”

PD asked Fertik whether the site, home to progressive Democrats, had
garnered any Congressional support for impeachment.

“Look at what happened to Cynthia McKinney. Nobody wants to be next,”
he said. Challenging the administration on 9-11 “is a guaranteed ticket
to political hell.”

Last spring, McKinney, a Democratic congresswoman from Georgia, called
for an investigation of the events surrounding 9-11. McKinney said “the
American people deserve answers about what went wrong on September 11
and why.”

She accused the administration of warmongering in Afghanistan and
connected the role of oil and defense interests to U.S. policies.
Although her statement seems prophetic now, McKinney was ridiculed at
the time. Politicians of her own party on national television derided
her. She was defeated in her reelection bid last November.

Fertik called the “real juice” for investigating 9-11 the “People’s
Investigation and the 9-11 families who are pushing to have a
commission. They are unhappy with the rigged commission. They want the
truth.”

Despite the administration’s resistance to an independent commission to
look into 9-11, Bush finally agreed. However, he appointed Henry
Kissinger to head the commission. Kissinger, who has served in four
Republican administrations, has a controversial reputation and oil
interests in the Caspian Sea Basin.

Kissinger resigned and Bush appointed former New Jersey governor Thomas
Kean, who also has oil interests conflicts and financial ties to Osama
bin Ladin’s brother-in-law.

Disappointed with the administration’s response, an association of
citizens, researchers, and activists is assembling a 9-11 Truth Alliance
to conduct its own investigation of the many unanswered questions
surrounding 9-11. The Alliance is organizing a 9-11 Citizens Truth
Commission and planning a conference in New York City in the spring.

Fertik said there were a myriad of warnings about 9-11 “but whether Bush
was personally privy has not been established.”

That kind of information could be put on the table after hearings begin.
Watergate hearings revealed Richard Nixon was tape recording his Oval
office conversations and proof of the cover-up of illegal break-ins and
hush-fund payoffs.

The 9-11 Independent Commission, which has an 18-month legislative life,
will doubtfully release its findings before the 2004 presidential
election. “Yeah, that is part of their game plan,” Fertik said. “They
control the clock.” He said Karl Rove, Bush’s chief political
strategist, “is brilliant at this. If they want something, it has to
happen immediately, like the bombing of Iraq. Otherwise they will run
out the clock.”

“ 'Finality.' Remember that?" Fertik asked ruefully referring to the
Republican tactics during the 2000 election recount. The Republicans
argued the future of democracy depended on knowing who the next
president would be – rather than on counting the votes.

“They will run this out, too,” Fertik said.

Then, pausing, he offered: “Bob Graham is serious about running for
president. He’s furious at the White House and Bush and the intelligence
community for jerking them (the Joint Intelligence Committee) around,
and they kept secrets from the Committee.”

Fertik also said former Committee co-chair Sen. Richard Shelby (R-Ala)
is “equally livid.”
.
“Maybe Graham will start talking about it if he runs, “ mused Fertik.

Regardless of the scenario, Fertik maintained, “The American people have
the right to know what went on and who to hold accountable.”

The Committee’s 50-page staff report released last September listed
dozens of warnings about attacks on U.S. soil including terrorists’
plans to use planes as weapons. (Excerpts from the Committee report are
below.)

CIA director George Tenet has refused to declassify a memo containing
what he told Bush about terrorists’ threats in an August 6, 2001
briefing. Graham has also expressed concerns about how the terrorists
were able to enter and travel in the U.S.

Asked if the Bush administration’s recalcitrance related to 9-11 might
be a campaign issue in a 2004 Graham for President campaign, Carson
Chandler in Graham’s Senate office had this response: “That is something
(Graham) has continually brought up regarding 9-11.” However, Chandler
said, until the Senator decides his political future, “he is not talking
about his agenda for a campaign.”

Graham has said he will announce whether he will run for the Democratic
nomination in 2004 in late January after Bush’s state of the Union
Address. News stories report Graham is busy talking with Florida
supporters.

In an odd turn of events, Graham and his House counterpart on the
Intelligence Committee, Rep. Porter Goss (R-Mich), on the morning of
9-11 were at a breakfast meeting with Pakistani intelligence chief Lt.
General Mahmoud Ahmad. In October 2001, Ahmad was accused of wiring
$100,000 to Mohammed Atta, the alleged mastermind of the 9-11 hijackers.
Ahmad also met with high Bush administration officials in the days
before and after 9-11.

University of Illinois law professor Francis Boyle and former Attorney
General Ramsey Clark have drafted articles of impeachment against Bush
for his Iraqi war policies.

They wrote similar impeachment articles against George H.W. Bush for the
Gulf War 12 years ago. Rep. Henry Gonzalez (D-Tx) introduced those
articles of impeachment, which Boyle credits for halting Bush’s march
into Iraq.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
OUT OF THE SILENCE: A Few “Notables” Talk about 9-11 Warnings

Questioning the Administration’s handling of 9-11, several noted figures
have recently broken the shroud of public silence about the
administration’s veracity and actions (or lack of) before, on, and after
9-11.

During a presentation to the Fairfax City Council in Marin County,
California, which was considering a resolution to oppose the Patriot
Act, Daniel Ellsberg January 7 raised the issue of what the
administration knew.

“They were waiting for such an incident to come,” Ellsberg said. As a
Defense Department analyst in the 1970’s, he would have been instructed
to write legislation like the Patriot Act under similar circumstances,
he told the Council.

Ellsberg told PD after the event: “They were warned there would be a
major terrorist event. What did they do? Nothing. Bush was briefed in
July and August. What did they do? I feel morally certain they drafted a
Tonkin Gulf-like resolution for Afghanistan and polished up the Patriot
Act before 9-11.”

The Tonkin Gulf resolution gave President Lyndon Johnson powers to
drastically expand the U.S. war in Vietnam. The current Patriot Act,
which Congress passed shortly after 9-11, gives the U.S. Attorney
General broad powers to declare who is terrorist.

Ellsberg said he is not convinced “yet” Bush knew “precisely” when the
events would happen. After 9-11, he said, they wanted to avoid blame.
What government officials say after such events is almost never true.
They always cover-up afterwards.”

Helen Thomas, a former UPI reporter and now a Hearst News columnist and
dean of the White House Press Corps, is a lone voice among her
colleagues addressing 9-11. After release of the Intelligence
Committee’s final report and a call by House Select Intelligence Chair
Sen. Richard Shelby (R-Ala) for CIA director George Tenet to “take the
fall,” Thomas in a column asked if presidents Bill Clinton and George W.
Bush should be “held responsible” as well.

Last fall, former Vice President Al Gore accused the administration of
ignoring signs al Qaeda and Osama bin Ladin planned to attack the United
States on September 11. "The warnings were there before the attacks,” he
said. Gore also said Bush's Justice Department and the FBI had spent
more time and money investigating a suspected New Orleans brothel than
monitoring bin Ladin and his terrorist network.

These public figures are voices in the wilderness of the famous speaking
out about what really happened on 9-11. The corporate media has
capitulated to fears of losing access to its news sources or losing FCC
approval of mergers and acquisition. The public broadcasting system
fears losing its federal funding. Except for a few websites, even the
alternative media avoid reporting on 9-11 as if it were the worst of the
ten plagues.

No U.S. government official has been held accountable for the missteps
surrounding 9-11. Bush has promoted and rewarded military and
intelligence agency heads under whose watch 9-11 occurred. Members of
Congress knew of the warnings and yet handed Bush, under whose watch
9-11 occurred, powers to invade Iraq.

EXCERPTS FROM JOINT INQUIRY STAFF STATEMENT OF ELEANOR HILL, STAFF
DIRECTOR, JOINT INQUIRY STAFF, SEPTEMBER 18, 2002

From the Foreward:

”According to the DCI (Director of Central Intelligence, George Tenet),
the President’s (sic) knowledge of intelligence information relevant to
this Inquiry remains classified even when the substance of that
intelligence information has been declassified. … (on two matters)

”The Joint Inquiry staff disagrees with the DCI’s position on both
issues. We believe the America public has a compelling interest in the
information and that public disclosure would not harm national security.
However, we do not have independent authority to declassify intelligence
information short of a lengthy procedure in the U.S. Congress…”

The statement contained at least 11 references to terrorists using
planes as weapons. Here are a few of those and other findings:

* "[S]hortly after Usama Bin Ladin’s May 1998 press conference, the
Intelligence Community began to acquire intelligence information
indicating that Bin Ladin’s network intended to strike inside the United
States. Many of these reports were disseminated throughout the
Intelligence Community and to senior U.S. policy makers."

* "In June 1998, the Intelligence Community obtained information from
several sources that Usama bin Laden was considering attacks in the
U.S., including Washington, DC and New York. This information was
provided to senior U.S. Government officials in July 1998." (Joint
Inquiry Staff Statement, Part 1, 9-18-2002, pg. 15)

* "In August 1998, the Intelligence Community obtained information that
a group of unidentified Arabs planned to fly an explosive-laden plane
from a foreign country into the World Trade Center. The information was
passed to the FBI and the FAA. The FAA found the plot highly unlikely
given the state of that foreign country’s aviation program. Moreover,
they believed that a flight originating outside the United States would
be detected before it reached its intended target inside the United
States. The FBI’s New York office took no action on the information,
filing the communication in the office ‘s bombing repository file . . .

* "In September 1998, the Intelligence Community obtained information
that Usama Bin Ladin’s next operation could possibly involve flying an
aircraft loaded with explosives into a U.S. airport and detonating it;
this information was provided to senior U.S. Government officials in
late 1998."

* "In the fall of 1998, the Intelligence Community received information
concerning a Bin Ladin plot involving aircraft in the New York and
Washington, DC areas."

* "In November 1998, the Intelligence Community obtained information
that a Bin Ladin terrorist cell was attempting to recruit a group of
five to seven young men from the United States to travel to the Middle
East for training. This was in conjunction with planning to strike U.S.
domestic targets.."

* "A December 1, 1998 Intelligence Community assessment of Usama Bin
Ladin read in part: ‘UBL is actively planning against U.S. targets . . .
Multiple reports indicate UBL is keenly interested in striking the U.S.
on its own soil . . . al-Qa’ida is recruiting operatives for attacks in
the U.S. but has not yet identified potential targets’."

* "A classified document signed by a senior U.S. Government official in
December 1998 read in part: ‘The intelligence community has strong
indications that Bin Ladin intends to conduct or sponsor attacks inside
the United States’."

* "In the spring of 1999, the Intelligence Community obtained
information about a planned Bin Ladin attack on a U.S. Government
facility in Washington, D.C."

* "In the March of 2000, the Intelligence Community obtained information
regarding the types of targets that operatives in Bin Ladin’s network
might strike. The Statue of Liberty was specifically mentioned, as were
skyscrapers, ports, airports, and nuclear power plants."

* "A briefing prepared for senior government officials at the beginning
of July 2001 contained the following language: ‘Based on a review of all
source reporting over the last five months, we believe that UBL will
launch a significant terrorist attack against U.S. and/or Israeli
interests in the coming weeks. The attack will be spectacular and
designed to inflict mass casualties against U.S. facilities or
interests. Attack preparations have been made. Attack will occur with
little or no warning’."

* "[I]n August 2001, a closely held intelligence report, for senior
government officials, included information that bin Laden had wanted to
conduct attacks in the United States since 1997. The information
included discussion of the arrest of Ahmed Ressam in December 1999, and
the 1998 bombings of the U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania. It
mentioned that members of al Qaeda, including some U.S. citizens, had
resided or traveled in or traveled to the United States for years, and
that the group apparently maintained a support structure here. The
report cited uncorroborated information obtained in 1998 that bin Laden
wanted to hijack airplanes to gain the release of U.S.-held extremists.
F.B.I. judgments about patterns of activity, consistent with preparation
of hijackings . . ."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
c Joyce Lynn 2003
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

JOYCE LYNN is a journalist including eight years as a political reporter

in Washington, D.C. After she moved to San Francisco, she turned from
writing about the politics of social welfare issues to matters of the
mind.

She initiated the POLITICAL DIARY in the aftermath of the 2000 election
when her dreams predicted with 100% accuracy its outcome and
told the story behind the story.

POLITICAL DIARY is archived at
www.topica.com/lists/politicaldiary.
Go to Read this List

Joyce teaches INNER JOURNALISM: Writing, Dreams, and Telling the Truth
through Writers on the Net (www.writers.com). The next class begins
February 4.

She can be reached at politicaldiary3 at hotmail dot com

The POLITICAL DIARY subscriber list is confidential and will not be
sold.

c Joyce Lynn 2003