Welcome Guest!
 Practice
PRACTICE TIPS #40: The Talent for Work . . .  Brent Hugh
instructions at the end of this message.

PRACTICE TIPS #40: The Talent for Work . . .

This week's tip is one I have been thinking about a lot this semester. I
think quite a few of my students could use a reminder about this basic
truth about piano playing!

The tip comes from my Practice Techniques page at
http://www.mwsc.edu/~bhugh/piano-practice.html:

----------------------
Pianists should realize that not every moment of their practicing is going
to be fun and games. Learning music is a lot more fun than many things in
life, but like every other worthwhile field of human endeavour, there is a
lot about learning to play the piano that is simple down and dirty,
repetitive, no-fun, difficult, boring work.

For pianists, the talent for sticking with this kind of difficult,
repetitive, and boring work is more important than just about any other
musical talent.
----------------------

Using the practice tips and techniques we talk about on this list can
multiply the effectiveness of your practice many times. But if you don't
practice regularly, there is no technique that can make up for this basic
deficiency . . .

Happy Practicing!

--Brent

PRACTICE TIPS is by pianist, teacher, composer, and internet nerd
Brent Hugh. Brent knows about practicing mostly because he *does*
it, and in fact is toddling off to do some of it just about now . . .

Please remember that this tip is but a small spot near the middle of the
elephant's left ear--it's not even close to the whole elephant that is
"how everyone in the whole world should practice the piano".

Practice Tips Archives (updated about once a month):

           http://www.mwsc.edu/~bhugh/practicetips/

You are welcome to forward PRACTICE TIPS to others as long as the
ENTIRE message, including this trailer, is forwarded. Friends can
find out how to subscribe to PRACTICE TIPS at
           <http://www.mwsc.edu/~bhugh/practice-tips.html>

++++++++++++ Brent Hugh / bhu-@griffon.mwsc.edu ++++++++++++++
+ Missouri Western St College Dept of Music, St. Joseph, MO +
+         Piano Home Page: http://www.mwsc.edu/~bhugh         +
+ Internet Piano Concert: http://www.mwsc.edu/~bhugh/recit   +
++++ Classical Piano MP3s: http://www.mp3.com/brent_d_hugh ++++