Welcome Guest!
 Just can it
Just can it  Althea Oliver

------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C4A2DA.6E8819C0

Hi Catherine,

I found some tomato jam recipes, without lemon, in a small book titled "Ways with fruit and vegetables" put out by the South Australian Country Women's Association Incorporation. I can't eat tomatoes so I haven't actually tried these recipes, and since berries are out, I won't bother typing out the one with raspberry.

BTW, none of my jam, jelly or marmalade recipes need commercial pectin, although I sometimes use a little when the strawberries or apricots are very ripe.

Althea in rural Australia.

TOMATO JAM WITH GRAPE
Equal quantities of grapes and tomatoes. To each pound of fruit add 3/4 pound of sugar. Boil until it thickens.

TOMATO JAM WITH PASSIONFRUIT
2 lb ripe tomatoes
1 1/2 lb sugar
1/2 cup passionfruit pulp
Peel, slice and boil tomatoes with sugar for 3/4 hour. Skim as it boils. Add passionfruit and boil for another 15 minutes, or until setting stage is reached.

TOMATO JAM WITH PEACH
2 lb tomatoes
2 lb peaches
2 1/2 lb sugar
Skin peaches and tomatoes, roughly chop and boil together for 1 hour. Add sugar and boil until it jells.

TOMATO JAM WITH PINEAPPLE
6 lb tomatoes
1 fresh or preserved (but no syrup) pineapple
6 lb sugar
2 pieces of preserved ginger
Cut pineapple into small pieces, peel tomatoes, cut up and put into preserving pan, add ginger, cut up fine. Bring all to the boil, add sugar, then boil it until it jells. 2 lemons may be substituted for the ginger.