Welcome Guest!
 PH
Africa (Atlas)  Lloyd deMause
 Feb 12, 2003 14:18 PST

--

I think Helene raised an absolutely vital issue in her posting --
there's arrogance within any group and it always offends those others
being dismissed. Frankly, the willingness of the ignorant or
unfeeling to cynically express their stupidity in the form of humor
is why many people find humor very offensive. That anyone would ever
think that all Afrikaaners were insensitive to the system of
apartheid is ridiculous. Whatever the size of this minority, we
should recognize the non-monolithic nature of all groups.
Yet, we are just as much victim to the dictum that "the micro-group
reflects the macro-group". Just as many other snide or silly remarks
were said or are alleged to have been said, it should be clear that
all participants in the IPA Convention or this Discussion List are
NOT free from being foolish. Hopefully, those engaged in this will
read Helene's remarks and recognize the full impact of their
statements.            J ATLAS