Welcome Guest!
 PublibCT
Re: Lack of postings... $0.02  Michael McCulley
 Apr 05, 2007 14:38 PDT

I think you have it down, Bill.. changing landscape in the styles and means of communication. I'm a bit "old school" era for 'Net stuff, when we used BitNet for mailing lists for group communication. There are so many other choices now. Some older lists do thrive - Web4lib, publib, etc. - but some I used to rely on and use often are gone now.. change 2.0? :)

Old era question: Do you have Internet?
New era question: Do you have a machine or service where I can do something amazing and digital for free?

Best,
Michael

P. Michael McCulley, Librarian II / Information & Technology
San Diego Public Library, 820 E Street, CA 92101-4806
Phone: 619-238-6678 / FAX: 619-238-6639
E-mail: mmccu-@sandiego.gov

 "Bill Hudgins" <b.hud-@lanepl.org> 4/5/2007 12:59:00 PM >>>

This may also reflect the ubiquity of wikis, podcasts, blogs and other interactive art forms that are replacing email as a form of group sharing. With the increasing interest and interactivity of the "social web", for example, some bloggers have taken to having "meetups" to try to revive that personal touch.

In my own case, I'm now splitting my time between training and systems support, and guess which one takes more time and energy?

I guess the law of entropy applies: everything we attempt seems " to evolve toward a state of inert uniformity" but I also think that computer users are becoming more knowledgeable and less fearful, judging by the kinds of questions we deal with in class now as opposed to those of five years ago. It took a few generations and reiterations of the telephone before people could carry it around in their back pockets, but when I saw one of my 80+ year old students whip one out of her purse the other day (in contravention of a sign in the lab that politely asks that no cell phones be used in the room), I figured we're in the Next Generation. She later explained it was a gift from her daughter who was worried that she might fall and not be able to get up.

Maybe it takes an announcement about the imminent death of a list to resuscitate it?

Regards,
Bill

On 4/5/07, Michael McCulley < mmccu-@sandiego.gov> wrote:
Bill and all,

I've had a small group over on Yahoo! groups

since 2003, and though we have 176 listed members, we get relatively no discussion or postings. You can see we started out okay in 2003, but downhill since.. I'm not sure it's needed any longer, so I've thought of closing it down.

Best,
Michael

P. Michael McCulley, Librarian II / Information & Technology
San Diego Public Library, 820 E Street, CA 92101-4806
Phone: 619-238-6678 / FAX: 619-238-6639
E-mail: mmccu-@sandiego.gov

 "Bill Hudgins" <b.hud-@lanepl.org> 4/5/2007 8:02 AM >>>

Regarding the lack of list activity, perhaps:
1) The rate of technology change is overtaking (not to say overwhelming) trainers
2) Aging hardware is presenting its own challenges
3) The demographic of those who don't know how to use a computer is shrinking
4) Google has become the first resort for most of our users for more than just searching
5) Spring and summer are typically lower seasons for computer learners, at least in my part of the world (Ohio)
6) We're burning out.

We're averaging 66% attendance over the long haul, and 2 out of 3 ain't bad.
--
Best regards,
Bill Hudgins, Tech Trainer