Welcome Guest!
 QHC
Quaker Library books! Please read!  Debi
 Sep 19, 2006 10:38 PDT

Hello,
For those of you near the Philadelphia Yearly Meeting region, I am a
former homeschooling mom (both kids now in college)and I have just begun
volunteering at the Yearly Meeting Library, and as I shelve books, I am
astounded by the variety of books and resources available to you all.
Books you may not find on the shelves of your local libraries!

Best of all, unit studies, group projects, family projects can be made
easier and CHEAPER because you can take out the materials for a LONG
time, nenewing easily and often.

The list is endless...lovely children's books, for instance one I just
put on the shelf: "Lugalbanda--the boy who got caught up in a war"--An
epic tale from Ancient Iraq.

Last week I read one that every adolescent/teen would be interested in:
"Refugees" about two teenagers, one American and one Afghani and how
they have reacted to the post 9/11 world.

Another one is an astonishingly beautiful book called: "The Future of
the Earth--an introduction to Sustainable Development for Young Readers"

I am sure most of these would not be easy to find, and yet they are here
for you.

Please let me know if anyone is interested in learning how to send us
your requests, so that we can mail you your selections. Books can be
either ordered on line, through our website or sent through e-mail to
Rita Varley, the head librarian or simply phoned in. Of course you can
always stop by as well. We pay for postage shipped out, the return
postage is your responsibility. And of course we accept donations for
the shipping as well.

http://www.pym.org/pm/lib.php is the website, and from there you can
click on "online booklists" to see a sampling of the many wonderful
offerings here.

Looking forward to answering any questions you may have.

Once a homeschooler, always a homeschooler--love those books!! LOL

Debi
Philadelphia Yearly Meeting Library Volunteer