Welcome Guest!
 QHC
Re: Digest for quakerho-@topica.com, issue 936  Harmonm-@aol.com
 Sep 20, 2006 05:00 PDT

In a message dated 9/20/2006 6:06:04 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
quakerho-@topica.com writes:

The list is endless...lovely children's books, for instance one I just
put on the shelf: "Lugalbanda--the boy who got caught up in a war"--An
epic tale from Ancient Iraq.

Last week I read one that every adolescent/teen would be interested in:
"Refugees" about two teenagers, one American and one Afghani and how
they have reacted to the post 9/11 world.

Thanks for these suggestions! I'm organizing a class that I'm calling
"World Geography in Nashville" in which we will be studying Geography by learning
about immigrants in Nashville. We'll be meeting people from different
immigrant communities and each week we'll take a field trip to a different ethnic
restaurant. The first week we're taking a tour of a mock Doctors Without
Borders refugee encampment and learning about why people would leave their native
land to come to America. I'm really excited about this class and looking
for as many resources to help make the immigrant experience come alive for the
class. Of course we'll be talking about why our own ancestors came here but
I also want to have a variety of recent immigrants tell their stories so I'm
making phone calls to a bunch of refugee and immigrant rights/resettlement
organizations.
Mary