Welcome Guest!
 RECIPE DU JOUR
RDJ-- Light Caribbean Corn Soup, 03-15-00  Recipe du Jour
 Mar 15, 2000 03:01 PST
=======================================
Volume 3      Number 64
=======================================

RECIPE DU JOUR
Free delicious recipes delivered daily via email.
Free, easy recipes, columns, and nostalgia.
For RdJ Petite, the “recipe only” version of this ezine,
send a blank email to petite-s-@topica.com

Encourage your family and friends to subscribe!

=======================================

**WIN A TRIP to HAWAII**
Zing your winter pictures and you could WIN a trip to
Hawaii! Make your lover blush, share a laugh or just say
"hi" when you send a FREE ZingCard, a personalized picture
greeting. Zing today and you could win! Hawaii may just be a
ZingCard away. http://www.zing.com/z?e40c178z64

=======================================

                        LIGHT CARIBBEAN CORN SOUP

3 1/2   pounds chicken
3         quarts water
1         jalapeno chili pepper -- seeded, cut into quarters
2         bay leaves
3         cloves garlic
1         medium onion -- quartered
1/2      red bell pepper -- chopped
30       ounces cream corn (2 cans)
1         teaspoon dried thyme
2         teaspoons kosher salt
1/4      teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1         tablespoon jalapeno chili pepper
2         scallions -- chopped

Put the chicken, water, jalapeno, bay leaves, garlic, and onion in a large
pot. Bring to a boil, then immediately reduce to a simmer. Skim the surface
with a slotted spoon to remove the foam that forms on the surface. Simmer,
uncovered, for 40 minutes. Allow to cool until the contents can be safely
handled. Remove the chicken from the pot and take the meat from the bones.
Discard the bones and skin. Chop the meat and reserve it. Strain the cooking
liquid through a fine mesh sieve. Wipe out the soup pot, pour the broth back
into it, and discard all else. Stir in the chicken meat and bring to a boil.
Reduce to a simmer and add the remaining ingredients except for the
scallions. Cook, covered, for 15 minutes. Stir in the scallions and serve.
Yield: 7 servings.

Per serving: 366 Calories (kcal); 26g Total Fat; (64% calories from fat);
29g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 149mg Cholesterol; 665mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 2 1/2
Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates

=======================================

No Depressing News Here!! The Family Connection is a POSITIVE, upbeat,
family-oriented periodical with articles like The Parent Puzzle, Critter
Corner, and Dollars and $ense! Plus each magazine has crafts for kids,
jokes, and recipes - some right from Rich Rowand! Get The Family Connection
delivered to your home for only $12/12 issues! Send your check TODAY to The
Family Connection, P. O. Box 805, Leona Valley, CA 93551. You'll be glad
you
did!

=======================================

Rich’s Note:   It’s strange. I get a lot of email about the Vietnam pieces I
’ve done. What’s strange to me is the number of people who write and express
their feelings of guilt, for one reason or another, at not having gone to
Vietnam. In most cases they had no choice in the matter. They didn’t retreat
to Canada. They didn’t disable themselves. They didn’t do anything except
for not being chosen to go. And now they feel guilty. I know how they feel.
I feel guilty too because I had a job behind the lines. I heard before and I
’ve heard since the stories of men who went through hell, who live with
agony in their souls; and I feel guilty that I wasn’t out there with them.
There are men who won’t ever talk about what they’ve seen and done. There
are men who will never find peace or rest until they are dead themselves;
and I feel guilty. What I experienced was nothing compared to others. I
lived and worked on a rear base. We had our small share of danger, but it
wasn’t the constant edge of death to come, it wasn’t a kill or be killed
stasis, it wasn’t a world of jungle shadows. Part of me is oh so glad it was
others out in the bush rather than me. But another part of me is ashamed, as
if someone else stole the nightmares meant for me.

=======================================

*CLEAN JOKES** **CLEAN JOKES** **CLEAN JOKES**
Jokes EveryDay will send you 3 clean jokes to your e-mail
daily. Sign up for FREE and join 50,000+ readers who already
enjoy it! To SIGN UP for FREE send a e-mail to:
mailto:join-joke-@lists.dundee.net
Or visit us at our website: http://www.jokeseveryday.com?a

=======================================

Do you remember?   Roger Ramjet.

=======================================

So Many Images To Capture, So Little Time.
Time to get a new video camera? Enter
Capture a New World Sweepstakes, and you
could be on your way to capturing them all.
Capture the world with digital zoom!
           Never miss a moment!
This offer expires 06/06/00.
http://www.afreeplace.com/rdj/capture.htm

=======================================

Simply Tim: HEAVY METALS

Seems like EVERYONE is either going “platinum” or “titanium”. Surely these
must be *THE* metals of the 90’s. Credit card companies were the first to
jump on the metallurgical band wagon. First came the “silver” card, followed
by “gold”, and now “platinum”. Each step along the way marketers convinced
us we were less than cool unless we “stepped up” to the next level of
glitter. The other night I burst out laughing when a “Secret” deodorant
commercial announced their “platinum” stick version. I wonder what happened
to “new and improved”?

Titanium is running a close second place. Just go to a Kmart and look at the
golf balls! There’s titanium cores and titanium covers, whatever that means.
There’s even a “titanium-tungsten” combination. Boy, are THEY behind the
times… tungsten was hot in 1950’s light bulbs!

I suppose HEAVY metals are next. We might as well prepare ourselves for
PLUTONIUM credit cards and toothpaste, not to mention undergarments. Too bad
the Periodic Table is running out of “marketable” metals…

Tim’s on vacation. Please hold off your email replies!
--Rich

=======================================

Win $1,000,000.00 tonight and every night on FreeLotto.com.
We just announced our third $1,000,000.00 winner.
David L. of Chicago won $1,000,000.00 lump sum cash
on February 2, 2000. Since it's launch in June of 1999,
FreeLotto has given away over $4,800,000.00 (3 Millionaires)
in CARS and CASH.   Click here to play for FREE!
http://www.freelotto.com/redirect.asp?source=01318

=======================================

Do you remember?

Maggie Mae
by Rod Stewart

Wake up Maggie, I think I've got something to say to you
It's late September and I really should be back at school
I know I keep you amused
But I fell I'm being used
Oh Maggie, I couldn't have tried any more
You led me away from home
Just to save you from being alone
You stole my heart and that's what really hurts

The morning sun when it's in your eyes really shows your age
But that don't worry me none, in my eyes you're everything
I laughed at all of your jokes
My love you didn't need to coax
Oh Maggie, I couldn't have tried any more
You led me away from home
Just to save you from being alone
You stole my soul and that's a pain I can do without

All I needed was a friend to lend a helping hand
But you turned into a lover and mother, what a lover, you wore me out
All you did was wreck my bed
And in the morning kick me in the head
Oh Maggie, I couldn't have tried any more
You led me away from home
'Cause you didn't want to be alone
You stole my heart, I couldn't leave you if I tried

I suppose I could collect my books and go on back to school
Or steal my daddy's cue and make a living at playing pool
Or find myself a rock and roll band
That needs a helping hand
Oh Maggie, I wished I'd never seen your face
You made a first class fool out of me
But I'm as blind as a fool can be
You stole my heart but I love you anyway
I'd never seen your face
I'll get on back home, one of these days

=======================================

WORLD .... Internet News .... The Highway To the Future
WIDE            'WWW' means We Watch the Web
WEB      Don't miss anything that's happening online!
We'll let you be hip... even if you're too scared to surf!
Send a blank email to IWantIn-@keepAhead.co.uk
Want more FREE ezines? Visit us at www.keepAhead.co.uk

=======================================

Don’t forget to visit the web site
(http://www.recipedujour.com/features.asp) and participate in the RdJ Recipe
Swap Talk message board: request recipes, share your favorites, help
someone, and make new friends. And please tell others about the unique
experience of Recipe du Jour.

The portions of this mailing designated as “Rich’s Note” and “Simply Tim”
are © Copyright 2000 by Richard Rowand and Tim Lee. All rights reserved
worldwide. Feel free to forward this mailing, in its entirety, to any and
all family and friends.

only.