Welcome Guest!
 RECIPE DU JOUR
RDJ-- Italian Tuna Salad Sandwiches, 03-22-12  RDJ
 Mar 22, 2012 20:13 PST

_______________________________________
Volume 15      Number 57
US Library of Congress ISSN: 1530-3292

_______________________________________

Italian Tuna Salad Sandwiches

3/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
3/4 cup black olives, such as Calamata (3 1/2 ounces), pitted and
chopped
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
4 anchovy fillets, minced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon chopped thyme
Salt and freshly ground pepper
6 ounces snow peas
Two 6-ounce jars or cans of imported olive oil-packed tuna, drained
4 crusty rolls or four 6-inch lengths of baguette, halved
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
2 medium tomatoes, sliced 1/3 inch thick
4 hard-cooked eggs, sliced 1/4 inch thick

In a medium bowl, mix the parsley, black olives, olive oil, anchovies,
garlic, lemon juice and thyme. Season the dressing with salt and pepper.

In a small pot of boiling salted water, blanch the snow peas for 1
minute, or until they are bright green and just tender. Drain the snow
peas and refresh them under cold water, then pat dry. Slice the snow
peas lengthwise into 1/4-inch strips and toss them with 1 tablespoon of
the olive dressing.

In a medium bowl, lightly break up the drained tuna with a fork. Add 6
tablespoons of the olive dressing and toss gently.

Spread the cut sides of the rolls or baguette pieces with the remaining
olive dressing. On the bottom halves of the rolls or baguette pieces,
arrange the snow peas, followed by the red onion slices, the tomatoes,
tuna and sliced eggs. Close the tuna sandwiches and serve. Makes 4
sandwiches.

(nutritional info not available)
_______________________________________

Link of the Day

Yelp
http://www.yelp.com/

"Yelp is an online urban city guide that helps people find cool places
to eat, shop, drink, relax and play, based on the informed opinions of a
vibrant and active community of locals in the know. Yelp is the fun and
easy way to find, review and talk about what's great - and not so great
- in your world."

from Caroline
_______________________________________

Food For Thought

We’re interested in knowing what you read, think about, watch, and
listen to. This is a chance to share your thoughts with thousands of
Recipe du Jour readers, the same Good Neighbors who have shared their
favorite recipes with you over the years. Think of it as a conversation
with a friend over the backyard fence about the book you just finished,
the story you can’t forget, your favorite movie or television episode or
whatever.

Send your submissions to ri-@recipedujour.com with Food For Thought as
the subject. If you wish to include your email address, please do. Keep
your comments to under two hundred words, but don’t feel obligated to
write more than a few sentences. We also ask that you steer clear of
religion, politics, and products or services that you sell.

Depending on the number of submissions received, your offering might not
be posted until a later issue. Feedback is welcomed and encouraged.
Enjoy.
___________________

Lisa B. mentioned Fern Michaels' Sisterhood series and the difficulty of
getting the order of the series. I found this info on the author's
website (http://fernmichaels.com/series-list/ ) that lists the order of
all of her series.

A place to look for series order of mystery books is the "Stop, You're
Killing Me!" website (http://www.stopyourekillingme.com/ ) where you can
search by author and character. Fern Michaels' books are listed here,
too in order, but it appears that only the Sisterhood books are listed,
not her other series.

Hope this is of help to someone.

Debbie in TX debbi-@yahoo.com
___________________

I just finished reading The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen for my
quarterly book club. I have not loved a book so much since I read The
Help. It was a highly enjoyable read, with characters to love, a touch
of magic, lots of humor, and the thing that really stood out for me was
the pervasive sense of hope. I was sad only that it had to end. Highly
recommend this one. Here’s the blurb on it from Barnes & Noble:

In this irresistible novel, Sarah Addison Allen, author of the New York
Times bestselling debut, Garden Spells, tells the tale of a young woman
whose family secrets—and secret passions—are about to change her life
forever.

Josey Cirrini is sure of three things: winter is her favorite season,
she’s a sorry excuse for a Southern belle, and sweets are best eaten in
the privacy of her closet. For while Josey has settled into an
uneventful life in her mother’s house, her one consolation is the
stockpile of sugary treats and paperback romances she escapes to each
night…. Until she finds her closet harboring Della Lee Baker, a local
waitress who is one part nemesis—and two parts fairy godmother. With
Della Lee’s tough love, Josey’s narrow existence quickly expands. She
even bonds with Chloe Finley, a young woman who is hounded by books that
inexplicably appear when she needs them—and who has a close connection
to Josey’s longtime crush. Soon Josey is living in a world where the
color red has startling powers, and passion can make eggs fry in their
cartons. And that’s just for starters.

Brimming with warmth, wit, and a sprinkling of magic, here is a
spellbinding tale of friendship, love—and the enchanting possibilities
of every new day.

I hope everyone gives this one a read and enjoys it every bit as much as
I did.

April
___________________

A compelling book to read is Dee Brown's "Bury my Heart at Wounded
Knee". It is about the injustices done to the Indian by the White Man
from 1860 to 1890. I now want to see the HBO movie of the same title.
Not all Indians were good, but, many innocent Indians were slaughtered
by us. Some parts of the book were very upsetting, so, I would take
breaks from reading it for awhile, but, I did finish the book today.

C Boyer
___________________

Thanks to Lenoir for her link to Bookbub.com. I have another site that
I've been using that offers free and bargain books. Go to
www.pixelofink.com and sign up for the newsletter, and every day you'll
get an email full of ebooks. I've gotten 4-6 free books daily, and
occasionally I'll splurge on a 99 cent book! You can also follow Pixel
of Ink on Facebook, and get the offers there; but each book is a
separate post, and I find it clutters up my newsfeed; the newsletter
has all the daily books in one place.

Gail/MN
___________________

I have been getting FREE BOOKS audiobooks, kindle, nook, ebooks from the
following: http://ereadernewstoday.com/ & http://www.pixelofink.com/ &
http://www.inspiredreads.com/ & for kids,
www.youngedition.pixelofink.com/ & http://www.gutenberg.org/ also FREE
music from amazon.com and if you insist on buying, which I have NOT
done, http://leatherbound.me/#/search

Carmen
_______________________________________

ri-@recipedujour.com   Use “GNR” and the title of your recipe as the