Welcome Guest!
 RECIPE DU JOUR
RDJ-- Mock Crab Salad, 04-11-12  RDJ
 Apr 11, 2012 18:30 PDT

_______________________________________
Volume 15       Number 66
US Library of Congress ISSN: 1530-3292

_______________________________________

Mock Crab Salad

2 cups shredded peeled parsnip
1/4 cup finely chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped pimiento-stuffed olives
1/4 cup fat-free mayonnaise
2 tablespoons minced fresh onion
2 tablespoons 1% low-fat milk
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 (4-ounce) jar diced pimiento, drained

Combine all ingredients, tossing well. Makes 4 servings.

Nutritional Information
Amount per serving
    Calories: 86
    Calories from fat: 21%
    Fat: 1.6g
    Saturated fat: 0.3g
    Monounsaturated fat: 0.8g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
    Protein: 1.5g
    Carbohydrate: 17.4g
    Fiber: 4.6g
    Cholesterol: 2mg
    Iron: 1.2mg
    Sodium: 277mg
    Calcium: 48mg
_______________________________________

Rich's Note:   Mayo and Butter (from 2000)

My grandmother used to get offended whenever you didn’t eat whatever she
served. People’s tastes change. I went to live with her (again) when I
got out of the army and went to college.

We were out on the boat fishing one weekend when she pulled out some
sandwiches for lunch. They were ham and cheese. But she had buttered
both slices of bread first, then added mayo, and then put the cheese
next to the mayo. After that was the ham, lettuce, mustard, and the
other slice of bread (with more mayo and more butter).

Somewhere along the line I’d decided that one doesn’t combine mayo with
butter on a sandwich. I’d also decided that one NEVER allowed mayo to
touch cheese. I didn’t want to eat the sandwich.

She didn’t understand. It was as alien to her as the why of a child not
wanting his or her foods touching each other on the dinner plate. "It
goes down the same hole!" she maintained.

Rather than let it cause too much friction, I ate the sandwich and
fibbed, saying I was wrong, it actually tasted good. I kept waiting for
her to turn away so I could throw it over the side. "I knew you’d like
it," she said. "So I made you two. Here." And she handed me another
sandwich.

"Got any pickles?" I asked.

Rich can be reached at ri-@recipedujour.com
______________________________________

Link of the Day:

Healthy Recipes for Kids
http://kidshealth.org/kid/recipes/index.html

"If you're hungry, grab your apron and get cooking! Making food yourself
- with a little help from a parent - is a great way to learn about food
and meal preparation. And we have plenty of recipes for you to try -
from pizza to pancakes!"

from Caroline
_______________________________________

Do You Remember?

Bernadine
Pat Boone 1957
title song from film starring Boone, Janet Gaynor, and Terry Moore
Words and Music by Johnny Mercer

Oh, Bernadine (sigh)
Oh, oh, oh, Bernadine
I can tell by the dimple on your chin
You're in beautiful shape for the shape you're in
An' I'm in shape for Bernadine

Oh, Bernadine
Oh, oh, oh, Bernadine
When you wander inta my dreams at night
Your remarkable form is a pure delight
I go, go, go for Bernadine

Bernadine, Bernadine
You're a little bit like ev'ry girl I've ever seen
Oh, your separate parts are not unknown
But the way you assemble them's all your own
All yours and mine, dear Bernadine (yours and mine, dear Bernadine)

Oh, Bernadine
Oh, oh, oh, Bernadine
Say you'll wait for me out by the rocket base
And we'll both blast off into outer space
At oh, oh, oh-oh, Bernadine

Bernadine, Bernadine
Come away with me now in the rocket-propelled machine
We'll come home by the way of a drive-in spa
Just a little this side of Shangri-La
And there I'll stay with Bernadine (there I'll stay with Bernadine)
There I'll stay with Bernadine!
_______________________________________
_______________________________________

_______________________________________

ri-@recipedujour.com    Use “GNR” and the title of your recipe as the
be able to use your recipe!

The portions of this mailing designated as “Rich’s Note” are © Copyright
2012 by Richard Rowand. All rights reserved worldwide. Feel free to
forward this mailing, in its entirety, to any and all family and
friends.

only.

mailto:rdj-sub-@topica.com

resubscribe from your new address.