Welcome Guest!
 RECIPE DU JOUR
RDJ-- Supper Enchiladas, 04-25-12  RDJ
 Apr 26, 2012 21:27 PDT

_______________________________________
Volume 15       Number 78
US Library of Congress ISSN: 1530-3292

_______________________________________

Supper Enchiladas

1 can (10 oz.) red enchilada sauce
1 jar (7 oz.) peeled roasted red peppers
1/2 cup green salsa (salsa verde, refrigerated or canned)
1 cup canned green enchilada sauce
12 corn tortillas (blue, if available, 5 to 6 in. wide)
2 packages (10 oz. each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
6 ounces cream cheese or panela, cut into thin slices or small chunks
1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese or packed crumbled cotija cheese
6 or 12 large eggs
1 1/2 cups shredded mild cheddar cheese (6 oz.)
3/4 cup thinly sliced green onions, including tops
6 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
6 to 12 tablespoons sour cream or Mexican crema
Salt

In a blender, whirl red enchilada sauce and roasted red peppers until
smooth.

In a bowl, mix green salsa with green enchilada sauce.

Set six ramekins (about 2 cups each, 5 to 6 in. wide or long) on large
baking sheets. Pour red sauce mixture equally into ramekins and tilt to
coat bottoms. Cut tortillas into quarters. Arrange four pieces in each
ramekin, overlapping edges to cover bottom and pressing tortillas down
into sauce.

Scatter spinach, cream cheese, and 1/4 cup parmesan evenly over
tortillas. Lay another four pieces of tortilla over filling in each
ramekin; overlap edges to fit. Spoon green sauce over tortillas, coating
evenly.

Bake, uncovered, in a 375F oven until sauce is bubbling, about 25
minutes (25 to 30 if chilled). Remove pan from oven and immediately,
with the back of a large spoon, make one or two slight depressions for
eggs near center of each ramekin. Break one or two eggs into each
ramekin; sprinkle evenly with cheddar cheese. Return to oven and bake 10
to 12 minutes longer for soft yolks (press yolk gently to test), 12 to
15 minutes for firm yolks.

Top each ramekin with green onions, cilantro, a spoonful of sour cream,
and a sprinkling of remaining parmesan cheese. Set ramekins on plates.
Add salt to taste. Makes 6 servings.

Nutritional Information
Amount per serving
    Calories: 527
    Calories from fat: 53%
    Protein: 25g
    Fat: 31g
    Saturated fat: 17g
    Carbohydrate: 40g
    Fiber: 5.1g
    Sodium: 1167mg
    Cholesterol: 285mg
_______________________________________

Rich's Note:   2012: A Sauce Odyssey

As usual, when I start some sort of recipe quest it takes me places
where I never expect. My search for a Mambo sauce recipe has been
frustrating because it's one of those things for which there is no real
source. There are, it seems, as many variations as there are Asian,
chicken wing, and "fish box" fast food eateries in the DC area. I became
enchanted with the Mambo sauce at a particular Chinese take-out in
Leesburg and I fear that unless I coax the recipe from them, I'll never
quite get it right.

The other day I was in a store where they were giving samples of egg
rolls. They were kind of tasty, but the sauce was really good. I looked
at the egg roll bag and saw they called it a sweet chili sauce.
Naturally, I went to the Asian section and bought a bottle of Thai sweet
chili sauce. It was nothing like the duck-like sauce that had
accompanied the frozen egg rolls, but I really liked it.

Last week I found an Asian supermarket in Chantilly that is as large as
a Walmart. That's where I bought the duck sauce. When I saw a bottle of
spicy mango sauce I picked that up too.

I'm also going crazy because I can't find my recipe for Rich's Rib
Sauce, the recipe that got me an article in the newspaper. I fear it
might be in a box in a storage unit down in Virginia Beach. Arrgh!

Rich can be reached at ri-@recipedujour.com
______________________________________

Link of the Day:

The Museum of Hoaxes is a site dedicated to honoring the best pranks of
all time. You won't believe some of the silly stories people have fallen
for over the decades. Okay, maybe you will. From spaghetti harvests to
left-handed hamburgers, these hoaxes range from subtle to ridiculous. So
have a laugh, but stay vigilant!

http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/

from Wendy
_______________________________________

Do You Remember?

I ONLY WANT TO BE WITH YOU
Dusty Springfield 1964

I don't know what it is that makes me love you so.
I only know I never wanna let you go
'cos you started something, can't you see.
Ever since we met you've had a hold on me.
I happens to be true, I only want to be with you.

It doesn't matter where you go or what you do.
I wanna spend each moment of the day with you.
Look what has happened with just one kiss.
I never knew that I could be in love like this.
It's crazy but it's true5 I only want to be with you.

      You stopped and smiled at me,
      asked me if I'd care to dance.
      I fell into your open arms,
      I didn't stand a chance.

Now, listen, honey, I just wanna be beside you everywhere.
As long as we're together, honey, I don't care
'cos you started something, can't you see.
Ever since we met you've had a hold on me.
No matter what you do, I only want to be with you.

      You stopped and smiled at me,
      asked me if I'd care to dance.
      I feel into your open arms,
      I didn't stand a chance.

Now, listen, honey, I just wanna be beside you everywhere.
As long as we're together, honey, I don't care
'cos you started something, can't you see.
Ever since we met you've had a hold on me.
No matter what you do, I only want to be with you.
No matter, no matter what you do, I only want to be with you.
No matter, no matter what you do, I only want to be with you.
_______________________________________
_______________________________________

_______________________________________

ri-@recipedujour.com    Use “GNR” and the title of your recipe as the
be able to use your recipe!

The portions of this mailing designated as “Rich’s Note” are © Copyright
2012 by Richard Rowand. All rights reserved worldwide. Feel free to
forward this mailing, in its entirety, to any and all family and
friends.

only.

mailto:rdj-sub-@topica.com

resubscribe from your new address.