Welcome Guest!
 RECIPE DU JOUR
RDJ-- GNR, 04-27-12  RDJ
 Apr 28, 2012 11:30 PDT

_______________________________________
Volume 15     Number 80
US Library of Congress ISSN: 1530-3292

_______________________________________

It’s Good Neighbor Recipes Friday!!

Welcome to our Good Neighbor Recipes edition of Recipe du Jour! On
Fridays we turn over the recipe presentation to you guys to share and
showcase your favorite recipes with the RDJ neighbors. If you have any
questions about any of the recipes offered today, write an email to the
address given with that specific recipe. If you wish to submit your own
favorite, guidelines are at the end of this mailing. And don’t forget to
forward this mailing to all your friends!

Guidelines for submitting recipes are at the end of this mailing.

Table of Contents:

Chicken Casserole
Carrots Au Gratin
Fresh Broccoli and Grape Salad
Baked Breakfast Cups
Cheddar Corn Casserole
George And Lora's Cordon Bleu Inside Out
Orzo with Feta and Tomatoes
Best Tuna Melt (New Jersey Diner Style)

and don’t forget that our sister ezine, Dessert du Jour, is featuring
Good Neighbor Desserts this and every Friday. To subscribe, address a
blank email to
dessert-s-@topica.com

For metric conversion, try
http://www.onlineconversion.com/cooking_volume.htm
_______________________________________

Chicken Casserole

1 whole chicken
1 cup uncooked shell-roni
8 oz cheddar cheese, cubed
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup melted margarine
1- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
1/2 cup evaporated milk

Simmer chicken until tender. Pick meat off bones and cut into
bite-sized pieces. Reserve broth. Thicken 1-1/2 cup of broth to make
chicken gravy. Use remainder of broth to cook shells. Add water if
necessary. Drain shell-roni, add gravy and mushroom soup. Blend in
chicken and fold in cheese. Pour into buttered casserole dish. Cover
with crumbs. Pour milk over top. Bake at 350F 30 minutes or until
crumbs are browned.

rambli-@yahoo.com
_______________________________________

I got this recipe from another site and I've made it a few times. It's
very good. Different for sure
jb jbreci-@gmail.com

Carrots Au Gratin

4 1/2 cups sliced carrots
2/3 cup crushed buttery round crackers
3 tablespoons margarine, melted
1/2 cup chopped onion
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups milk
2/3 cup shredded processed cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Place carrots in a steamer over 1 inch of boiling water, and cover. Cook
until tender but still firm, about 6-10 minutes. Drain. Meanwhile, in a
small bowl combine crushed crackers with 1 tablespoon melted margarine.
Mix well and set aside.

In a medium skillet over low heat, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of
margarine and saute onions until tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper.
Cook for a few minutes, stirring to prevent browning. Gradually pour in
milk, stirring constantly. Increase heat to medium and cook until bubbly
and thickened. Add cheese and stir until smooth. Fold in carrots.

Pour mixture into a 9x12 inch baking dish and sprinkle with the crumb
mixture. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until bubbly and
golden brown.
_______________________________________

Rich's Note:   Thank you!

Thank you to all who sent me a copy of my Rich's Rib Sauce recipe, which
I couldn't find. A batch is actually cooling as I type this. There are
actually two versions: the one I originally made and the final one
(slightly different), which was the result of further tweaking.
Following is a copy of that posting:

Rich's Rib Sauce

1 cup ketchup
1 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup orange marmalade
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
2 tbs minced onion
1 tbs balsamic vinegar
1 tsp dark sesame oil
2 tbs chipotle hot sauce (or to taste)

Combine ingredients in medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to boil,
reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes or until thickened. Serve over ribs,
chops, or grilled chicken.

Rich can be reached at ri-@recipedujour.com
_______________________________________

This is a combination of 2 or 3 broccoli salad recipes I have seen. One
friend at Easter lunch commented that she had never had this combination
before, but "it sure is good"! And the entire group of family and
friends agreed, except of course the one hold-out who doesn't eat
broccoli. lol   Try it, it's really tasty. Lisa B. kaits-@gmail.com

FRESH BROCCOLI & GRAPE SALAD

1 large head or 2 crowns fresh broccoli, washed, cut or torn into small
florets
12 to 16 oz red or green grapes, halved
1 bunch green onions, chopped (white and light green parts)
6 slices thick-but bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
6 oz mild or medium cheddar cheese, cubed
1/2 cup sunflower kernels
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup sugar

In a large bowl, combine the broccoli, grapes, green onions, bacon,
cheese, and sunflower kernels, tossing to blend. In a pint jar, mix
canola oil, rice wine vinegar, and sugar. Microwave for 30 to 40
seconds. Remove from microwave, put top on jar, and shake well to blend
dressing. Pour dressing over veggie mixture in bowl, and toss well to
coat. Serve immediately. If not serving immediately, I would not add the
green onions to the veggie mix, or the cheese will take on the onion
taste. Also, do not pour on the dressing until ready to serve. Makes 8
to 10 servings.
_______________________________________

Baked Breakfast Cups

This is a great breakfast -- quick and easily adapted to what you have
on hand
for days when you are in a rush. Good subs are turkey bacon or sautéed
onions
and sweet peppers. Or add a little toasted bread on the bottom.
You can easily make on the weekend and heat up weekday mornings.

    •    6 eggs
    •    6 tsp. heavy cream
    •    6 tsp. chives, chopped
    •    4 strips bacon, cooked, crumbled
    •    6 tsp. hot pepper cheese
    •    cooking spray

    •    6 cup muffin pan

Spray a 6-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
To each cup add 1 egg, bacon crumbles and 1 teaspoon each of cheese,
chives and cream.
Bake in a pre-heated 350 degree F oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until
eggs are set to your liking.

By P. Allen Smith via dsi-@aol.com
_______________________________________

Simply Tim: FRIDAY FOOD THING
"Souse"

To view today's Simply Tim feature, go to his blog spot:

http://simplytim.wordpress.com/2012/04/27/fft-souse/
_______________________________________

Absolutely delish !!!!! From lou3-@webtv.net

Cheddar Corn Casserole

    1 stick butter, melted
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 small green bell pepper, chopped
    1 small red bell pepper, chopped
    3 eggs
    1 cup sour cream
    1 can (16 oz.) creamed corn
    1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded

In a medium sauté pan, heat 2 tbsp of butter over medium heat. Add onion
and peppers and cook until softened, stirring occasionally. Remove from
heat.

Combine remaining 6 tablespoons butter, eggs, and sour cream in a large
bowl. Whisk together until smooth. Mix in corn, cornmeal, salt and
pepper. Stir in cheese and onion-pepper mixture.

Turn into a 2-quart buttered baking dish. Bake in a preheated 350F oven
for 30 to 35 minutes, until puffed and golden.
_______________________________________

George And Lora's Cordon Bleu Inside Out

4 slices ham
4 slices Swiss cheese
4 pieces cooked turkey or chicken breast

Lay slices of ham on a plate.
Cover each ham slice with a slice of Swiss cheese.
Place a piece of cooked turkey or chicken breast in the center of each
slice of cheese.
Roll or fold the ham slice to enclose the meat and cheese.
Microwave 30 seconds to 1 minute to melt the cheese.
You can also place the rolled ham slices on a cookie sheet and secure
with a toothpick.
Bake at 350 degrees 5 or 10 minutes.

Lora Leggett, kc8-@comcast.net
_______________________________________

This makes a great side dish. joann-@embarqmail.com

Orzo with Feta and Tomatoes
Prep Time: 10 min Cook Time: 10 min Level:
Serves: 4 servings as a side dish

1/2 pound orzo
Salt
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup feta cheese crumbles
A handful of parsley leaves, chopped
1/2 pint grape tomatoes, halved
Freshly ground black pepper

Heat water in large sauce pan to boil and add pasta, cook to el dente.

Melt butter in the pot while still hot and combine with feta. Add cooked
pasta to feta butter and toss with parsley and tomatoes, season with a
little pepper.
_______________________________________

Best Tuna Melt (New Jersey Diner Style)
Yield 4 servings

2 (6 ounce) cans solid white tuna in water, drained
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup finely chopped celery
1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
3/4 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1 pinch salt
1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
4 slices seedless rye bread
8 slices ripe tomato
8 slices Swiss cheese
paprika for garnish

Preheat the oven broiler.

In a bowl, mix the tuna, mayonnaise, celery, onion, parsley, and
vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.

Place the rye bread slices on a baking sheet, and broil 1 minute in the
preheated oven, until lightly toasted. Remove from heat, and spread with
the tuna salad. Place 1 cheese slice over the tuna salad on each piece
of bread, layer with a tomato slice, and top with remaining cheese
slices.

Return layered bread to the preheated oven, and broil 3 to 5 minutes,
until cheese is melted.

Sue Cookinc-@aol.com
_______________________________________
_______________________________________

_______________________________________

ri-@recipedujour.com   Use “GNR” and the title of your recipe as the
be able to use your recipe!

to any and all family and friends.

only.

mailto:rdj-sub-@topica.com

resubscribe from your new address.

mailto:rdj-unsu-@topica.com

Recipe du Jour is strictly an opt-in service. We do not sell, loan, or
give our subscribers’ addresses to anyone for any reason. Our features
are intended as entertainment only.

.