Welcome Guest!
 RECIPE DU JOUR
RDJ-- GNR, 07-27-12  RDJ
 Jul 29, 2012 20:29 PDT

_______________________________________
Volume 15     Number 131
US Library of Congress ISSN: 1530-3292

_______________________________________

It’s Good Neighbor Recipes Friday!!

Welcome to our Good Neighbor Recipes edition of Recipe du Jour! On
Fridays we turn over the recipe presentation to you guys to share and
showcase your favorite recipes with the RDJ neighbors. If you have any
questions about any of the recipes offered today, write an email to the
address given with that specific recipe. If you wish to submit your own
favorite, guidelines are at the end of this mailing. And don’t forget to
forward this mailing to all your friends!

Guidelines for submitting recipes are at the end of this mailing.

Table of Contents:

Bacon and Cheese Breakfast Pizza
Crock Pot Spicy Pork Roast
Hot Salmon Squares
Grape Tomato and White Bean Salad
Cajun Chicken Pasta on the Lighter Side
Grilled Vegetable Barley Salad
Sour Cream and Bacon Crock Pot Chicken
Vegetable Pasta with Fresh Tomatoes

and don’t forget that our sister ezine, Dessert du Jour, is featuring
Good Neighbor Desserts this and every Friday. To subscribe, address a
blank email to
dessert-s-@topica.com

For metric conversion, try
http://www.onlineconversion.com/cooking_volume.htm
_______________________________________

Bacon and Cheese Breakfast Pizza

pastry for single crust pie (9 inches)
1/2 lb bacon, cooked and crumbled
2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
4 eggs
1 - 1/2 cups sour cream
2 TBL chopped fresh parsley

Roll pastry to fit into a 12 inch pizza pan

Bake 425F for 5 minutes. Sprinkle bacon and cheese evenly over crust.

In a bowl, beat eggs, sour cream and parsley until smooth and pour over
pizza.

Bake 20-25 minutes or until pizza is puffy and lightly browned.

rambli-@yahoo.com
_______________________________________

I submitted this recipe probably two years ago. I have since made it so
many times that I tweaked the recipe and my family loves this version
even better. Perhaps you will, too. I do know that in these hot days of
summer, using the crock-pot is a boon.
Lisa B. kaits-@gmail.com

CROCK-POT SPICY PORK ROAST

5 or 6 lb. Boston butt pork roast, bone-in
salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste
1 or 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 (tall skinny) jar of sliced Pepperoncini peppers
1 can Rotel diced tomatoes and green chilies
1 can (16 or 17 oz) 99% fat-free chicken broth
1 pkg dry brown gravy mix

Season the roast liberally with the salt, pepper, and garlic powder,
rubbing the seasonings in well. Brown the roast well in the oil in a
large hot skillet. When browned on all sides, place roast in crock-pot.
Pour pepperoncini peppers and juice, and the Rotel over the roast. Put
the lid on the crockpot and cook on HIGH for 5 or 6 hours, then decrease
the heat to LOW for another 2 or 3 hours, until meat is
fall-off-the-bone tender. (At this point, I usually turn off the heat,
let the roast cool; then refrigerate overnight in order to skim off all
the fat.) Remove roast from juices in pot. Scrape or cut off most of
the fat that remains. Shred or chop all of the meat; set aside. Whisk
together the chicken broth and brown gravy mix. Stir into the juices in
crockpot. Add meat back to crockpot and stir to coat with juices. Turn
crockpot on and heat on LOW until juices bubble and meat is hot
throughout. Serves 12 or more. We like to use the juices that are left
as an au jus sauce with our roast sandwiches. yummy!
_______________________________________

If you like salmon patties, but not the tedious job of making each patty
and getting your hands all messy, then this is the recipe for you!
Questions? Comments? mama-@aol.com

Hot Salmon Squares

2/3 c dry bread crumbs
2/3 c milk
1 16oz can salmon, flaked
1/4 c mayonnaise
2 T lemon juice
1/3 c hopped onion
2 T chopped parsley
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 t salt

Soak bread crumbs in milk about 10 minutes. Combine remaining
ingredients; add soaked crumbs; mix well. Pack lightly into a
10X6X1-1/2 inch baking dish. Bake at 350F for 30 minutes. Serve with
tartar sauce. Makes 6 servings
_______________________________________

Grape Tomato & White Bean Salad

1 (15oz) can Cannellini Beans, drained and rinsed
1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
1/3 c flat-leaf parsley, chopped

The Dressing:
1/4c extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 t rosemary
1/4 c grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 t salt
1/4 t pepper
1 t lemon zest
1/4 c lemon juice

In a bowl, combine beans, tomatoes, and parsley. Fold together.

In a smaller bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients until fully
combined. Pour over salad and stir to coat.

Refrigerate at least an hour before serving to allow flavors to mingle.

Adapted from Simply Recipes via Wendy dsi-@aol.com
_______________________________________

This tasty recipe comes from a Pinterest board. I apologize for not
being able to give credit to the originator. Any questions ...
sharo-@q.com

Cajun Chicken Pasta on the Lighter Side - Serves 5 for a total of 10 WW
Points+/serving

8 ounces whole wheat linguine (Barilla or Trader Joe's are the only
brands I'll use)
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast -- cut into strips
1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning -- or to taste (I use about 2 teaspoons)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium red bell pepper -- thinly sliced
1 medium yellow bell pepper -- thinly sliced
8 ounces fresh mushrooms -- sliced
1/2 medium red onion -- sliced
3 cloves garlic -- minced
2 medium tomatoes -- diced
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
1/3 cup skim milk
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons light cream cheese
freshly ground pepper, to taste
2 scallions -- chopped
salt, to taste
vegetable oil spray

Prep all your vegetables.

In a small blender make a slurry by combining milk, flour and cream
cheese. Set aside.

Season chicken generously with Cajun seasoning, garlic powder and salt.

Prepare pasta in salted water according to package directions.

Heat a large heavy nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; spray with
cooking spray and add half of the chicken. Sauté 5 to 6 minutes or until
done, set aside on a plate and repeat with the remaining chicken. Set
aside.

Add olive oil to the skillet and reduce to medium heat; add bell
peppers, onions, and garlic to skillet, sauté 3-4 minutes.

Add mushrooms and tomatoes and sauté 3-4 more minutes or until
vegetables are tender. Season with 1/4 tsp salt, garlic powder and fresh
cracked pepper to taste.

Reduce heat to medium-low; add chicken broth and pour in slurry stirring
about 2 minutes.

Return chicken to skillet; adjust salt and Cajun seasoning to taste,
cook another minute or two until hot, then add linguine; toss well to
coat. Top with chopped scallions.

Per Serving: 369 Calories; 6g Fat (15.3% calories from fat); 34g
Protein; 47g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 58mg Cholesterol; 274mg
Sodium. Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 3 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 0
Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.
_______________________________________

I've been trying to eat more barley because it's so healthy and this
recipe is a definite winner. Both vegetarians and omnivores will enjoy
it. I like it best when the barley is cooked in broth because it adds
so much flavor. I make the broth from vegetable bouillon and water...
easy. I took it to a July 4th barbeque and there were no leftovers!
Cyndi K. meid-@comcast.net

Grilled Vegetable Barley Salad
Makes about 6 servings

1 cup uncooked pearled barley
2 1/2 cups water ( or use vegetable broth)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
1 red bell pepper, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
1 medium onion, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
1/2lb fresh asparagus spears, cut in thirds
6 cherry tomatoes
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil - divided
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Grated lemon zest from one lemon
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
4-5 fresh basil leaves, torn or cut into small pieces
1/2 teaspoon sugar (or more to taste)
salt (to taste)
Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
2 cups baby spinach leaves, lightly packed - RAW

Rinse barley under cold water. In 2-quart saucepan, mix 2 1/2 cups water
and 1/2 teaspoon salt (or you can use vegetable broth for extra flavor).
Add barley; heat to boiling over medium heat. Reduce heat, cover and
simmer 30 to 45 minutes or until tender. Drain, if necessary, and set
aside.

Preheat oven to 450F. Put peppers and onion in bowl and toss with 2
tablespoons olive oil, a little salt, and pepper, and thyme. Place in
single layer on baking sheep pan. Roast in oven for about 15 minutes.
Stir a bit and add tomatoes and asparagus. Roast for an additional 5-10
minutes until peppers and onions are tender and browned on the edges and
the tomatoes have started to split open. Remove from oven to cool a
bit. Cut onion and pepper pieces in half.

In small bowl, whisk red wine vinegar, 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive
oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, basil, mustard, 1/4 teaspoon salt and a
dash of black pepper.

To serve, toss barley, veggies, and spinach in half the dressing.
Arrange mixture on serving platter. If needed, drizzle additional
dressing over all and toss.

This is vegetarian friendly and has gotten rave reviews from carnivores
and vegetarians alike. Can be served warm or chilled. If chilled, add
some reserved dressing and toss just before serving.
_______________________________________

Sour Cream and Bacon Crockpot Chicken
Serves: 8

8 bacon slices
8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 (10 oz) cans roasted garlic cream of mushroom soup
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup flour (all purpose or gluten free blend)
Salt and pepper to taste

Place the bacon in a large skillet and cook over medium-low heat until
some of the fat is rendered. Be sure that the bacon is still pliable and
not crisp. Drain on paper towels. If you use this method, reduce the
flour to 1/4 cup. Or don’t cook the bacon and proceed with the recipe.

Then wrap one slice of bacon around each boneless chicken breast and
place in a 4-5 quart crockpot.

In medium bowl, combine condensed soups, sour cream, and flour and mix
with wire whisk to blend. Pour over chicken.

Cover crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours until chicken and bacon are
thoroughly cooked. You may want to remove the chicken and beat the sauce
with a wire whisk so it is very well blended.

Pour sauce over chicken. Serve over rice, couscous, or wide egg noodles.

If you have a newer crockpot, check the chicken at 5 hours. The internal
temp should be 160 -170 degrees F.

Sue Cookinc-@aol.com
_______________________________________

This is a great dish and makes a light tasty dinner. Just add some hot
bread and enjoy. From lou3-@webtv.net

Vegetable Pasta with Fresh Tomatoes

3 Medium Zucchini, washed and ends removed
1 Medium Onion, peeled and chopped
2 Cloves Garlic, peeled and chopped
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
1 tablespoon Dried Leaf Basil, crushed
1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper, coarsely ground
2 cups Prepared Pasta Sauce
1 cup Chopped Fresh Tomatoes
8 ounces Dried Pasta, shape of choice
1 tablespoon Fresh Parsley or Basil, chopped
Parmesan Cheese, grated (optional)

Cut zucchini in quarters lengthwise and cut into 1/2 inch pieces. Place
zucchini onion garlic and olive oil with seasonings in large deep
skillet and saute over medium heat until soft.

Stir often. Add prepared sauce mix well and let simmer for 5 minutes.

Stir in 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes and allow to heat thoroughly.

In a separate pot cook pasta as directed on package. Drain well and
place in large serving bowl. Add sauce and mix gently.

Top with the reserved 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes and chopped herbs. Serve
hot. Servings: 4
_______________________________________
_______________________________________

_______________________________________

ri-@recipedujour.com   Use “GNR” and the title of your recipe as the
be able to use your recipe!

to any and all family and friends.

only.

mailto:rdj-sub-@topica.com

resubscribe from your new address.

mailto:rdj-unsu-@topica.com

Recipe du Jour is strictly an opt-in service. We do not sell, loan, or
give our subscribers’ addresses to anyone for any reason. Our features
are intended as entertainment only.

.