Welcome Guest!
 RECIPE DU JOUR
RDJ-- Chicken Vesuvio, 08-01-12  RDJ
 Aug 02, 2012 06:59 PDT

_______________________________________
Volume 15       Number 134
US Library of Congress ISSN: 1530-3292

_______________________________________

Chicken Vesuvio

4 chicken thighs (about 1 1/4 pounds), skinned
4 chicken drumsticks (about 1 pound), skinned
3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
12 garlic cloves
2 large peeled baking potatoes, each cut into 8 wedges
1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup dry white wine
3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh oregano
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup frozen green peas

Preheat oven to 350F.

Sprinkle chicken pieces evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Heat
oil over medium-high heat in a large Dutch oven. Add chicken; cook 3
minutes on each side or until browned. Remove chicken from pan.

Add whole garlic cloves to pan; sauté 1 minute or until lightly browned.
Remove from pan.

Add potatoes to pan; sauté 6 minutes or until lightly browned. Return
chicken and whole garlic cloves to pan. Add remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt,
broth, white wine, fresh oregano, and minced garlic cloves; bring to a
simmer.

Cover and bake at 350F for 30 minutes or until chicken is done and
potatoes are tender. Add frozen peas; bake an additional 8 minutes or
until peas are tender. Makes 4 servings.

Nutritional Information
Amount per serving
    Calories: 448
    Calories from fat: 19%
    Fat: 9.5g
    Saturated fat: 2g
    Monounsaturated fat: 4.3g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 1.9g
    Protein: 35.6g
    Carbohydrate: 49.8g
    Fiber: 5.6g
    Cholesterol: 119mg
    Iron: 3.1mg
    Sodium: 712mg
    Calcium: 79mg
_______________________________________

Rich's Note:   Chicken

Seems like Chick-fil-A had a banner day today. I like their food pretty
much, but I don’t go there often because the lines are always so long
even though the unit they opened last year in Leesburg is HUGE and has
two drive-thru lanes.

Yesterday, or the day before, foxnews.com had an article about making
your own Chick-fil-A at home. The Fox article was cursory, so I clicked
on the link to seriouseats.com and found a very long article on how they
developed their clone recipe. I enjoyed it muchly {sic} and found the
link to the actual recipe at the very end of the article. That article
is at:
http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/07/the-food-lab-how-to-make-a-chick-fil-a-sandwich-at-home.html

or
http://tinyurl.com/cykdyq8

Rich can be reached at ri-@recipedujour.com
______________________________________

Link of the Day:

If you're a gardener -- seasoned or novice, you'll like Grows on You, an
online gardening community.

There are hundreds of pictures petunias to privets as well as helpful
tips and ideas plus a feature for asking questions of the experts.

Grows on You has links to gardening blogs and a shop for buying seeds,
tools and other necessities. If you'd like to post content or make
comments, you'll need to sign up for a free account.

http://www.growsonyou.com/

from Wendy
_______________________________________

Do You Remember?

May the Bird Of Paradise Fly Up Your Nose
Little Jimmy Dickens 1965
Words and Music by Neal Merritt

One fine day as I was a-walkin' down the street
Spied a beggar man with rags upon his feet
Took a penny from my pocket
In his tin cup I did drop it
I heard him say as I made my retreat

CHORUS
"May the bird of paradise fly up your nose"
"May an elephant caress you with his toes"
"May your wife be plagued with runners in her hose"
"May the bird of paradise fly up your nose"

The laundry man is really on his toes
Found a hundred-dollar bill among my clothes
When he called me I came a-runnin'
Gave him back his dime for phonin'
I heard him sayin' as I turned to go

CHORUS

I was way behind one day to catch the train
Taxi driver said "We'll make it just the same"
The speed cop made it with us
And as he wrote out the ticket
I stood by politely a-waitin' for my change

CHORUS

CHORUS

FADE

CHORUS
_______________________________________
_______________________________________

_______________________________________

ri-@recipedujour.com    Use “GNR” and the title of your recipe as the
be able to use your recipe!

The portions of this mailing designated as “Rich’s Note” are © Copyright
2012 by Richard Rowand. All rights reserved worldwide. Feel free to
forward this mailing, in its entirety, to any and all family and
friends.

only.

mailto:rdj-sub-@topica.com

resubscribe from your new address.