Welcome Guest!
 RECIPE DU JOUR
RDJ-- GNR, 08-03-12  RDJ
 Aug 03, 2012 21:06 PDT

_______________________________________
Volume 15     Number 136
US Library of Congress ISSN: 1530-3292

_______________________________________

It’s Good Neighbor Recipes Friday!!

Welcome to our Good Neighbor Recipes edition of Recipe du Jour! On
Fridays we turn over the recipe presentation to you guys to share and
showcase your favorite recipes with the RDJ neighbors. If you have any
questions about any of the recipes offered today, write an email to the
address given with that specific recipe. If you wish to submit your own
favorite, guidelines are at the end of this mailing. And don’t forget to
forward this mailing to all your friends!

Guidelines for submitting recipes are at the end of this mailing.

Table of Contents:

Lemon Pasta Salad
Shrimp Etouffee
Cheesy Artichoke Dip
Thai Chicken Salad with Cabbage
Three-Cheese Potatoes
Easy Chicken Breasts
Lora's Summer Squash Casserole
Peachy Keen Pulled Pork

and don’t forget that our sister ezine, Dessert du Jour, is featuring
Good Neighbor Desserts this and every Friday. To subscribe, address a
blank email to
dessert-s-@topica.com

For metric conversion, try
http://www.onlineconversion.com/cooking_volume.htm
_______________________________________

Lemon Pasta Salad

Salt
1 pound corkscrew pasta
1 pound asparagus
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup freshly chopped dill leaves
1 cup frozen peas, defrosted
7 ounces crumbled feta cheese

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the
pasta and cook until al dente. Drain and rinse. Set aside.

In another large pot of boiling salted water, add the asparagus and
blanch until bright green and slightly tender, about 3 minutes. Remove
with a slotted spoon or a spider and shock in icy cold water. Remove
from the water and dry well.

Trim the ends of the asparagus and cut into bite-size pieces on the
bias.

Whisk together the mustard, garlic, lemon juice, and olive oil in a
small bowl. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Combine the reserved asparagus and pasta in a large serving bowl. Add
the tomatoes, dill, peas, feta, and the mustard dressing. Toss with
tongs to coat the salad well. Taste and add additional salt and pepper,
if needed.

Sue Cookinc-@aol.com
_______________________________________

Shrimp Etouffee

1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 large green pepper, chopped (remove seeds)
1 cup chopped celery
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
3 TBL Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp Cajun seasoning
1- 3/4 lbs large shrimp, cleaned and deveined
1/2 cup parsley, chopped
3 cups cooked brown rice
lemon wedges
1 cup water

In a large heavy-bottomed pot, whisk together flour and oil until
combined. bring to boiling, reduce heat to medium and cook 5 minutes,
whisking continuously until reddish-brown in color.

Add onion, green pepper, celery and garlic. Cook 5 minutes, stirring
occasionally. Stir in tomato sauce, 1 cup water, Worcestershire sauce
and Canjun seasoning. Simmer 15 minutes.

Add shrimp and simmer 4 minutes, Stir in parsley. Serve over brown
rice, squeeze lemon wedges over each plate.

I fixed this over the week end and it was delicious.
rambli-@yahoo.com _______________________________________

Rich's Note:   Water, Water. . .

I could write a pamphlet about my feelings concerning drinking water in
my new geographical home in northern Virginia, but I don’t want to rant
and rave. I like the water in the store where I work in Fairfax. It
tastes faintly of minerals and is very good.

The water in my son Luke’s community on the outskirts of Leesburg, where
we lived for a year and a half, is horrible – funky tasting. When I
tried making iced tea in a sauce pan, there was a slick on the surface
and a slick residue left in the pan. The tea was undrinkable. Susan and
I bought bottled water for a year and a half.

Now we have an apartment in Purcellville. The water is just a little
funky and leaves a bit of a slick, even after filtering. It’s bearable
at best, I guess. The real problem with the water in P-ville is the
price. Our water/sewage bill is as high as our electric bill.

Please note I have not ranted or raved.

In fact, here’s a good thing. Until now I have never lived anywhere that
turning on a faucet or flushing a toilet would not cause an unpleasant
surprise for someone who happened to be taking a shower at the same
time. That is not a problem in our new apartment. Neat, huh?

Rich can be reached at ri-@recipedujour.com
_______________________________________

Cheesy Artichoke Dip

12 oz mozzarella
1 cup parmesan
14 oz artichoke hearts
8 oz real mayonnaise

Mince artichoke hearts. Mix all ingredients well, and bake at 350F for
20 minutes; more if you would like the cheese a golden color.

Best served with garlic bagel chips. Serves 6-8 as an appetizer.

My daughter sent me this recipe. It is delicious, and easy to make.
Enjoy! Any questions or comments? mama-@aol.com
_______________________________________

This is simply scrumptious and straightforward for a Thai recipe. Note
the alternatives for preparing the chicken. By Cat Cora via
dsi-@aol.com

Thai Chicken Salad with Cabbage

1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1/3 cup olive oil
2 teaspoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons store-bought Thai peanut sauce
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon black sesame sees
1 whole chicken breast or 2 half breasts
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (if pan searing)
1/2 head Napa cabbage
3 large carrots
6 scallions
Freshly ground pepper

For the dressing: In a medium bowl, whisk together all the ingredients.
Set aside.

Preheat grill. When the coals are medium-hot, place the chicken breasts
on the grill so that they're not directly over the flame. Cook the
chicken for 6 to 8 minutes per side, turning only once to keep the grill
marks clear and distinct. Remove from the grill and set aside to cool.

To poach the chicken: Skin the chicken breasts and gently slide them
inot a pot of simmering water. Cook for about 20 minutes, then remove
the chicken with tongs or a slotted spoon and drain in a colander.

To pan-sear and roast the chicken: Preheat the oven to 375F. Pour the
olive oil into an ovenproof skillet set over medium-high heat. Place the
chicken breasts in the skillet skin side down, sear for just 1 minute,
then turn them over and cook for 1 more minute. Slide the pan into the
hot oven and roast the chicken for 5 minutes. Lower the oven temperature
to 350F and cook for another 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and
set aside to cool.

Meanwhile, thinly slice the cabbage (you should have about 8 cups).
Grate the carrots (about 1 cup), using a box grater or a food processor
with the shredder disk. If you're not assembling the salad immediately,
cover the vegetables and place in the refigerator.

Thinly slice the scallions, setting aside about 2 sliced scallions for
garnish.

Shred the chicken, discarding the skin and bones. In a large salad bowl,
toss together the cabbage, carrots, chicken, and scallions. Pour the
dressing over the salad and toss. Sprinkle with pepper and the remaining
scallions. Serve.
_______________________________________

Made these for part of our son's birthday dinner. We all loved them!! I
microwaved the onion and potatoes before grilling. You can do that
earlier in the day as the potatoes won't oxidize then proceed when ready
to grill. I only used Parmesan and Monterey Jack cheeses and didn't use
bacon but we all decided we want it next time. I used sweet onion, about
2 3/4 lb Yukon Gold Potatoes, did not peel the potatoes but did cut
them. You can bet these will be served often!
Kathy-ho-@aol.com from
http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Three-Cheese-Potatoes

THREE-CHEESE POTATOES

3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
1 medium onion, chopped
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon minced chives
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup crumbled cooked bacon
1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Transfer to a double
thickness of greased heavy-duty foil (about 18 in. square). Dot with
butter.

Fold foil around potato mixture and seal tightly. Grill, covered, over
medium heat for 15-18 minutes on each side or until potatoes are tender.

Carefully open foil. Sprinkle the bacon cheeses over potato mixture.
Grill 3-5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Open foil carefully
to allow steam to escape. Yield: 4-6 servings.
_______________________________________

Easy Chicken Breasts

Lay chicken breasts in a baking dish

Put a generous dollop of sour cream on each one

Pour a can of Cream of Mushroom soup over all

Bake about 350F until chicken is done

I serve rice with this, the sauce is really good when poured over the
rice.

My grandkids ask for this often. jbreci-@gmail.com
_______________________________________

My son had some squash that he bought for the 4th of July grilling get
together we had. FI asked to use them before they went bad and came up
with this casserole that made me three small meals. It is the first meal
I have created since my husband, George, passed away on June 16, 2012.
Lora Leggett kc8-@comcast.net

Lora's Summer Squash Casserole

1 tablespoon butter
3 small yellow squash or whatever you have
1 medium onion, I used half of a Spanish onion
1 medium green bell pepper, I used half of a very large one
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon sweet basil
1 ((10 3/4) can cream of celery soup, undiluted
1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese

Preheat the oven to 350F. If desired, peel the squash and cut off the
very tips of each end. On a cutting board, slice the squash and chop the
onion into bite size pieces or slice it if you like.

Rub the butter on the bottom and sides of an 8 inch square glass
casserole or desired baking dish. Place the squash and onion on the
bottom of the pan in one layer if possible. You can put the rest on
top.Sprinkle the garlic powder and sweet basil over the vegetables and
gently mix them around in the casserole so the herbs will be equally
distributed. I did not measure these herbs and ran out my basil bottle.
A teaspoon may not be enough for your taste.

Pour the cream of celery soup over the vegetables and gently mix again
to get it to spread evenly. It is important because you are not adding
water or milk to dilute your sauce. Pour the Mozzarella cheese on top
and spread evenly.

Place the casserole on a cookie sheet and use oven mitts when putting it
into or taking it out of the oven to avoid quick temperature changes to
your casserole or burning yourself. Bake 1 hour at 350F degrees.

Remove casserole on cookie sheet from oven and allow to cool at least 15
or 20 minutes before serving.
_______________________________________

Boneless pork simmered in ginger ale and peach nectar, then shredded and
sauced. Easy and delicious! I love crock pot recipes because they make
it easy to multitask. I can do laundry, watch my grandson, and wash
dishes, all while cooking up a delicious dinner. pepp-@cableone.net

Peachy Keen Pulled Pork

    2 lb. boneless pork roast
    1 Tbs. Cajun seasoning
    1 1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. black pepper
    1 Tbs. butter
    1 med. onion, chopped
    4 cloves garlic, crushed
    1 1/2 C. chicken broth
    1 C. ginger ale
    1 can peach or apricot nectar
    2 C. barbecue sauce

Cut the pork roast into large chunks. Season generously with the Cajun
seasoning, salt, and pepper. Melt butter in a skillet on medium high
setting. Add pork, and brown on all sides. Remove from the skillet, and
transfer to a crock pot.

Add the onion and garlic to the skillet, and cook for a few minutes
until tender. Stir in the water scraping the bottom to include all of
the browned pork bits from the bottom of the pan, then pour the whole
mixture into the slow cooker with the pork. Stir ginger ale and peach or
apricot nectar.

Cover, and cook on high setting for 6 hours, or until meat is falling
apart when pierced with a fork. Remove pieces of pork from the slow
cooker, and shred. Stir in barbecue sauce. Return to the slow cooker to
keep warm while serving.
_______________________________________
_______________________________________

_______________________________________

ri-@recipedujour.com   Use “GNR” and the title of your recipe as the
be able to use your recipe!

to any and all family and friends.

only.

mailto:rdj-sub-@topica.com

resubscribe from your new address.

mailto:rdj-unsu-@topica.com

Recipe du Jour is strictly an opt-in service. We do not sell, loan, or
give our subscribers’ addresses to anyone for any reason. Our features
are intended as entertainment only.

.