Welcome Guest!
 RECIPE DU JOUR
RDJ-- Clams w/Garlic Sauce, 08-06-12  RDJ
 Aug 06, 2012 13:04 PDT

_______________________________________
Volume 15      Number 138
US Library of Congress ISSN: 1530-3292

_______________________________________

Clams with Garlic Sauce

2 heads garlic (about 6 oz. total)
1/4 cup (1/8 lb.) butter or margarine
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup fat-skimmed chicken broth
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
6 dozen clams in shells (about 2 in. wide), suitable for steaming,
scrubbed
1 loaf (1 lb.) sourdough bread

Place garlic on a flat surface. Press each head firmly to separate
cloves. Discard root end and loose peels; do not peel cloves. Thread
cloves, touching, onto thin metal skewers.

Lay skewers on a barbecue grill over a solid bed of very hot coals or
high heat on a gas grill (you can hold hand over grill only 2 to 3
seconds); close lid on gas grill. Turn as needed until garlic is soft
when pressed and peels are charred, about 10 minutes.

When cool enough to touch, in 3 to 4 minutes, push garlic off skewers
and squeeze cloves from peels; discard peels.

In a blender or food processor, whirl garlic, butter, wine, broth, and
vinegar until pureed. Scrape into a 5- to 6-quart pan. Add clams; cover
pan.

Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until clams open, about 10
minutes. Ladle clams and broth into wide bowls. Serve with chunks of
bread to dip into sauce. Makes 4 servings.

Nutritional Information
Amount per serving
    Calories: 684
    Calories from fat: 24%
    Protein: 47g
    Fat: 18g
    Saturated fat: 8.4g
    Carbohydrate: 78g
    Fiber: 3.8g
    Sodium: 976mg
    Cholesterol: 124mg
_______________________________________

Rich's Note:   Oh So Very

I have a bit of a confession to make, if you please. It started with my
purchasing a DVD of Downton Abbey because I’d heard of it and it sounded
like Susan’s cup of tea. As you probably know Downton Abbey is a British
television series, somewhat of a soap opera, concerning a wealthy, upper
crust family and their servants before during and after the Great War.

Twenty years ago I would have been ill to my stomach to have to watch
anything where adults ate angst along with rashers of bacon for
breakfast. Mayhap I never knew that human faces could express so many
degrees of stoicism. Be that as it may, I only intended to be stoic in
my own way to watch this British foppishness with my betrothed.
Forthwith, I found I rather enjoyed this spectacle of agrarian life. .
.so much so that we also watched the second season and are so eagerly
awaiting the third.

In the meantime, we have sought out other similar fare and diversions
and have enjoyed Berkley Square as well as Cranford and, yes, forsooth,
Return To Cranford.

If you are reading this, it means I have temporarily escaped the time
warp that has enthralled me so. For a nonce there, or maybe two nonces,
I thought I was trapped in the past.

Whew!

Rich can be reached at ri-@recipedujour.com
_______________________________________

Link of the Day:

RAF DROP ZONE
WARNING: This is very addictive.

Simple to operate, but a bugger to perfect. Okay, all you pilots and
wannabe pilots. Here's your chance to see how you would do as the pilot
of a cargo plane over a drop zone.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/altitude/games/dz_game/dzgame.cfm

from Wendy
_______________________________________

Do You Remember?

IF I RULED THE WORLD
Tony Bennett 1965
Words by Leslie Bricusse/Music by Cyril Ornadel

If I ruled the world, ev'ry day would be the first day of spring
Every heart would have a new song to sing
And we'd sing of the joy every morning would bring

If I ruled the world, ev'ry man would be as free as a bird,
Ev'ry voice would be a voice to be heard
Take my word we would treasure each day that occurred

My world would be a beautiful place
Where we would weave such wonderful dreams
My world would wear a smile on its face
Like the man in the moon has when the moon beams

If I ruled the world every man would say the world was his friend
There'd be happiness that no man coud end
No my friend, not if I ruled the world
Every head would be held up high
There'd be sunshine in everyone's sky
If the day ever dawned when I ruled the world
_______________________________________
_______________________________________

ri-@recipedujour.com   Use “GNR” and the title of your recipe as the
be able to use your recipe!

to any and all family and friends.

only.

mailto:rdj-sub-@topica.com

resubscribe from your new address.

mailto:rdj-unsu-@topica.com

features are intended as entertainment only.

.