Welcome Guest!
 RECIPE DU JOUR
RDJ-- Chicken Pasta Salad, 08-07-12  RDJ
 Aug 07, 2012 05:59 PDT

_______________________________________
Volume 15      Number 139
US Library of Congress ISSN: 1530-3292

_______________________________________

Chicken Pasta Salad

2 cups cooked small seashell pasta (about 1 cup uncooked pasta)
1 1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast (about 6 ounces)
1 cup diced red bell pepper
1 cup shredded yellow squash (about 1 medium)
1/2 cup sliced carrot
1/2 cup sliced green onions
1/2 cup fresh corn kernels (about 1 ear)
1/2 cup frozen green peas, thawed
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup rice vinegar
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon hot sauce

Combine the first 9 ingredients in a large bowl. Combine rice vinegar
and remaining ingredients in a small bowl; stir well with a whisk. Pour
vinegar mixture over chicken mixture, and toss gently to coat. Serve at
room temperature or chilled. Makes 8 servings.

Nutritional Information
Amount per serving
    Calories: 229
    Calories from fat: 29%
    Fat: 7.5g
    Saturated fat: 1.2g
    Monounsaturated fat: 4.7g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
    Protein: 14.1g
    Carbohydrate: 26.6g
    Fiber: 3.5g
    Cholesterol: 21mg
    Iron: 2.4mg
    Sodium: 219mg
    Calcium: 33mg
_______________________________________

TAKE TWO
By Walt Mills

The Library

Savannah was built on the cliffs overlooking the Savannah River, and
most of the town is built up much higher than the river. To get from the
cliffs above, down to the shops and restaurants along the riverwalk
below, we took either curving cobblestone streets or plunging alleys, or
else the staircases that descended steeply here and there at various
places along Bay Street.

On one of those occasions when we were looking for a stairway to get
down to the river, we came across a series of elevated walkways that
hung above one of the descending streets. At the end of one walkway, we
were surprised to find a library, tucked among shops providing tourists
the things they want to buy on vacation, like trolley tickets and
sunglasses and praline candies.

My whole family has an addiction for libraries, and my older daughter
has just taken this love to the extreme and finished her bachelor’s
degree in library science this year, so we had no choice but go in.

It was just a small branch library, open a couple of hours a day in the
afternoons and not at all on the weekends. It was only by chance that we
found them open at all. It was called the Ola Wyeth Library, after some
old sainted lady of the town, I suppose. It was a single long narrow
room with a couple of patrons sitting out of the heat and two
middle-aged lady librarians, helpful as librarians invariably are.

It seems like every town or city I’ve ever visited I’ve stopped at their
library, and often that was the highpoint of my visit. This was no
exception. It was like walking into a friend’s house and meeting other
old friends, shelves and shelves full of old friends.

They had a few dozen retired books for sale on a shelf near the front
door, and there I found on sale for a dollar, a classic science fiction
book from the fifties that I had long desired to reread. James Blish’s
Cities in Flight is a four-book series about the far future when
antigravity devices lift entire cities into space from a dying Earth.
It’s a space opera mixed with shrewd commentary on politics and society,
and a lot of scientific speculation that is still remarkably not
outdated.

I have been rereading the collected novels, and at a quarter apiece,
they are the best value of my vacation. The memory of the little library
in the sky will linger long after the trolley tours are forgotten and
the pralines are all consumed. The libraries always are open when I
visit them again in my mind.

Read more of Walt's writing at his blog:
http://americanimpressionist.wordpress.com/

(The above column is copyright © 2012 by Walter Mills. All rights
reserved worldwide. To contact Walt, address your emails to
awmi-@verizon.net ).
_______________________________________

Link of the Day:

Encyclopedia of Life
http://eol.org/

"The Encyclopedia of Life is an unprecedented effort to gather
scientific knowledge about all animal and plant life where pictures,
information, facts, and more are available for all things living in our
plant and animal kingdoms."

from Caroline
_______________________________________

Off The Shelf

Have you tried a new product lately? Want to share your opinion with
others? This is your chance to review new grocery items. Name the
product. Say what it is. We ask that you be specific about the qualities
you like or dislike without getting “long-winded.” We also ask you to
mention your city and state (or country) because all new products aren’t
available everywhere and some are just in test markets. Please, no
direct marketing items.

Put OTS or Off The Shelf in the subject line and send to
ri-@recipedujour.com
___________________

I recently tried Blue Diamond Almonds Baked Nut Chips. I really like
the flavor I tried (Sea Salt) a new way to enjoy chips! Only 130
calories in 15 chips, so I find it a great indulgence.

cp
_______________________________________

Do You Remember?

THE JOLLY GREEN GIANT
The Kingsmen
(based on the Olympics' "Big Boy Pete",

In duh valley of duh jolly... (Ho - ho - ho)

Heard about the Jolly Green Giant (potatoes)
He's so big and mean (artichoke hearts)
He stands there laughin' with his hands on his hips
And then he hits you with a can of beans

He lives down there in his valley (Brussels sprouts)
The cat stands tall and green (spinach)
Well, he ain't no prize, and there's no women his size
And that's why the cat's so mean
One day he left His valley pad
I mean to say This cat was mad
Now listen 'round He wasn't gone long
And then he ran into an Amazon
Well, this changed his whole complexion (broccoli)
He had never seen such a beautiful sight (corn)
Well, he looked at her
And she looked at him
And she almost passed out from fright
He looked at her Thought, "what a dilly"
He touched her once She slapped him silly
This was something He had never sensed
He looked at her As she commenced
Now listen, pal This ain't no fluke
I can't see goin' with a big green kook"

You've heard about the Jolly Green Giant (eggplant)
Don't let his troubles cross your mind (celery stalks)
He couldn't get Sally, so went back to his valley
The cat was color-blind
_______________________________________

ri-@recipedujour.com   Use “GNR” and the title of your recipe as the
be able to use your recipe!