Welcome Guest!
 RECIPE DU JOUR
RDJ-- Mexican Black Bean and Citrus Salad, 08-09-12  RDJ
 Aug 09, 2012 06:38 PDT

_______________________________________
Volume 15      Number 141
US Library of Congress ISSN: 1530-3292

_______________________________________

Mexican Black Bean and Citrus Salad

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup diced onion
1 cup diced red bell pepper
2 teaspoons grated tangelo rind
1/4 cup fresh tangelo juice
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
1 1/2 cups tangelo sections (about 8 tangelos)
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained

Heat the olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the
onion and diced bell pepper, and sauté 5 minutes or until tender.

Combine rind and next 6 ingredients (rind through hot sauce) in a small
bowl. Combine onion mixture, tangelo sections, cilantro, and beans in a
bowl. Add juice mixture; toss gently. Makes 6 servings.

(Oranges or tangerines can be substituted for tangelos)

Nutritional Information
Amount per serving
    Calories: 174
    Calories from fat: 16%
    Fat: 3.1g
    Saturated fat: 0.5g
    Monounsaturated fat: 1.7g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
    Protein: 8.3g
    Carbohydrate: 30.9g
    Fiber: 6.5g
    Cholesterol: 0.0mg
    Iron: 2.4mg
    Sodium: 418mg
    Calcium: 56mg
_______________________________________

Link of the Day

"I've seen the effects of the wind, but I've never seen the wind." Billy
Graham said that in a famous sermon long before this cool site was
created. Wind Map allows everyone to see the wind as it whips across the
continental United States. The site displays a graphical representation
of the real-time wind speed all over the country. You can zoom in and
see exactly how windy it is anywhere in the U.S.

http://hint.fm/wind/

from Wendy
_______________________________________

Food For Thought

We’re interested in knowing what you read, think about, watch, and
listen to. This is a chance to share your thoughts with thousands of
Recipe du Jour readers, the same Good Neighbors who have shared their
favorite recipes with you over the years. Think of it as a conversation
with a friend over the backyard fence about the book you just finished,
the story you can’t forget, your favorite movie or television episode or
whatever.

Send your submissions to ri-@recipedujour.com with Food For Thought as
the subject. If you wish to include your email address, please do. Keep
your comments to under two hundred words, but don’t feel obligated to
write more than a few sentences. We also ask that you steer clear of
religion, politics, and products or services that you sell.

Depending on the number of submissions received, your offering might not
be posted until a later issue. Feedback is welcomed and encouraged.
Enjoy.
___________________

A huge THANK YOU to Carolyn for suggesting the website about women in
the United States who have made major differences in our culture.

http://www.makers.com/browse

As Carolyn stated, it was fascinating! And as she also stated, it is
time consuming, but in a very good way. You will learn so much about
women, many of whom are household names. Their insights and depth of
character are captivating and engrossing. You will like this a lot.

I always explore the websites that Carolyn offers to us. She gives us
some real winners. Thank you, Carolyn, for the i'net sleuthing that you
do and offering up your discoveries. I truly appreciate it.

Anne a-@voiceversatility.com
____________________

some time ago ANNE asked about cooking corn in the microwave. The
husking way work, but the cooking time much too long. you don't have
to cook the cob, just the kernels. Allow about 2 min. per ear

Michelle

(Rich Says: As always, experiment to see what’s right for you since
microwave ovens can vary so much.)
____________________

Pete the Cat - I Love My White Shoes by Eric Litwin

This is one of those rare books with a message in a delightful format. A
friend recommended it to me, and said she'd bought copies as Christmas
gifts for her adult family members. (I think I'm going to steal her
idea!) I downloaded it on my Kindle Fire to read to my grandkids - a
5-yr old and 4-yr old twins. On the first reading, the twins echoed the
words, giggled with laughter, and begged for more. While kids love
Pete's adventure, the underlying message is "find your own happiness in
whatever situation you're in" and that's appropriate for children of all
ages.

_______________________________________

ri-@recipedujour.com   Use “GNR” and the title of your recipe as the
be able to use your recipe!