Welcome Guest!
 RECIPE DU JOUR
RDJ-- GNR, 08-10-12  RDJ
 Aug 12, 2012 19:20 PDT

_______________________________________
Volume 15     Number 142
US Library of Congress ISSN: 1530-3292

_______________________________________

Itís Good Neighbor Recipes Friday!!

Welcome to our Good Neighbor Recipes edition of Recipe du Jour! On
Fridays we turn over the recipe presentation to you guys to share and
showcase your favorite recipes with the RDJ neighbors. If you have any
questions about any of the recipes offered today, write an email to the
address given with that specific recipe. If you wish to submit your own
favorite, guidelines are at the end of this mailing. And donít forget to
forward this mailing to all your friends!

Guidelines for submitting recipes are at the end of this mailing.

Table of Contents:

Crockpot Cajun Ribs
Quiche with Brie and Bacon
Skillet Noodle Dinner
Q&E Tuscan Pasta
Basic Cheese Polenta
Salmorejo
Bacon and Cheese Waffles
Sausage Biscuit Bites

and donít forget that our sister ezine, Dessert du Jour, is featuring
Good Neighbor Desserts this and every Friday. To subscribe, address a
blank email to
dessert-s-@topica.com

For metric conversion, try
http://www.onlineconversion.com/cooking_volume.htm
_______________________________________

Crockpot Cajun Ribs

1 1/2 pound pork ribs
1 can carrots
1 Tsp. garlic, pressed
1/4 Tsp. pepper
bar-b-q sauce

Put ribs in crockpot. Drain carrots and put on top of ribs. Add spices
and pour bar-b-q sauce on top. Set crockpot on low setting and let cook
all day.

Sue Cookinc-@aol.com
_______________________________________

Quiche with Brie and Bacon

1 - 9" deep dish pie crust*
4 oz. Brie, crust removed, diced
4 oz. Swiss Cheese, diced
8-10 slices of bacon, cooked crisp, drained, crumbled
6 large eggs
1/2 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup sour cream
dash of nutmeg
1 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 375F.

1. Place diced Brie and Swiss Cheese in the bottom of the pie crust.
Scatter the crumbled bacon over the cheese.

2. In a mixing bowl, lightly beat 6 eggs. Add 1/2 cup sour cream and
1/2 cup whipping cream, Worcestershire sauce, nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
Mix thoroughly.

3. Pour this mixture over the cheese and bacon in the pie crust. Shake
pie crust pan gently to evenly distribute the liquid.

4. Place pie pan on a baking sheet and bake at 375F for about 45
minutes, until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.

5. Let it cool slightly before cutting and serving. Serve warm or
cold.

* I prefer Mrs. Smith's Deep Dish Pie Crust; it doesn't need to be
pre-baked). If the instructions recommend pre-baking for a single-crust
pie, do so before filling it.

Note: If you like a firmer quiche, omit the whipping cream and add two
more large eggs instead.
Questions? Comments? mama-@aol.com
_______________________________________

Rich's Note:   So Weíll Go No More AíRangering

Iím not the type of guy who names possessions. Some of my friends name
their cars or boats or even plants. Iíve nothing against such people;
itís just something Iíve never felt compelled to do.

Even my 1996 Ford Ranger didnít get a name. I got it new as a company
vehicle in early 1997: the first brand new vehicle Iíve ever had. Years
later I bought it from the company.

And itís been a good truck. The only time it let me down was on the move
from Virginia Beach to northern Virginia when it blew a head gasket on
I-295 outside of Richmond. It hasnít been quite right since. The heater
hasnít worked for two winters now (and it gets a bit cold up here). The
AC has to be turned off in slow traffic and at stop lights. It needs a
little body English to get up hills. And it uses almost three quarts of
engine oil a month. Still, I was tempted to spend the money to fix these
problems; but the old Ranger has almost 200,000 miles on it and I drive
64 miles a day to and from work. Iíve been debating donating the Ranger
to a charity, thinking a decent mechanic could get it back in shape
enough for it to be of use to someone needy.

So I bit the bullet and have purchased a used Suzuki mini SUV. Itís a
peppy little thing. Of course that brings up a small problem. Itís not
quite a car and itís not quite a truck, so Iím not sure what to call it.

I think Iíll call it Suzy.

Rich can be reached at ri-@recipedujour.com
_______________________________________

Skillet Noodle Dinner

1 lb ground chuck
3/4 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup chopped celery
1 large can tomatoes
1 8 oz pkg noodles
1-1/2 cups chili sauce or barbeque sauce

Cook beef, onion and celery together in a heavy cast iron skillet until
done, drain.

Layer the tomatoes, noodles and pour over with sauce.

Cover with lid and cook on low heat until noodles are done and liquid
absorbed. About 20 min.

rambli-@yahoo.com
_______________________________________

Q&E Tuscan Pasta

1 (20-ounce) package refrigerated four-cheese ravioli
1 (16-ounce) jar sun-dried tomato Alfredo sauce
2 tablespoons white wine
2 medium fresh tomatoes, chopped
1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil
1⁄3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Fresh basil strips, for garnish

Prepare pasta according to package directions.

Pour Alfredo sauce into medium saucepan. Pour wine into sauce jar, cover
tightly, and shake well. Stir wine mixture into saucepan.

Stir in chopped tomatoes and 1⁄2 cup chopped basil and cook over
medium-low heat 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

Toss with pasta and top evenly with grated Parmesan cheese. Garnish with
basil strips. Makes 4 to 6 servings.

By Ginna Parsons via dsi-@aol.com
_______________________________________

Simple and basic always end up being the recipes that we rely on the
most. This is simple, hearty and delicious. Any questions:
sharo-@q.com

Basic Cheese Polenta

1cup cornmeal
1 cup cold water
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups boiling water
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

In a mixing bowl combine cornmeal, cold water and salt.

Grease a loaf pan.

Bring the remaining 3 cups of water to a rolling boil and stir in the
cornmeal mixture. Bring the mixture back to a boil while stirring
constantly. Reduce heat to a simmer and stir in the cheese. Let the
mixture simmer for 20 to 30 minutes; stirring frequently. Allow the
polenta to simmer until it becomes very thick.

Spread the mixture into the loaf pan and refrigerate at least 4 hours
before slicing.
_______________________________________

Salmorejo

From the author: "Salmorejo is one of the varied cold soups that are
common in many regions of Spain, especially in the South, where they
originated. This particular soup originates in the Cůrdoba province,
Andalusia. Maybe it's not as popular as gazpacho outside of Cůrdoba, but
I've decided to include it here because it's my favorite among these
cold soups. For me it's unmistakably related to summer... You can choose
to be a purist or not... I'm not a purist, that's why tiny bits of seeds
and bread can be seen in my salmorejo."

2 1/4 pounds ripe tomatoes (the riper the better, much better if they're
organic)
1 or 2 cloves garlic (add 1 if you're not a garlic lover and 2 if you
fear some vampires to be hanging around...)
1/3 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons white bread crumbs
2 tablespoons vinegar (I use apple cider vinegar, be careful when
adding, better start with 1 tablespoon)
2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon good sea salt

Use a food processor or sturdy blender for this soup.

Start the processor or blender on medium speed and add the garlic, so
that it gets finely minced.

Add the tomatoes. If your machine is powerful enough, you won't need to
previously scald, peel and deseed the tomatoes. The texture of a real
salmorejo is silky smooth, without a hint of peel or seeds.

Process the tomatoes to a very smooth puree. Add the salt, the bread
crumbs and the vinegar and process until pureed.

Then start pouring the oil with the machine on, for the oil to emulsify
with the rest of the mixture.

And you're done! Put in the fridge to chill thoroughly.

I find that the flavor is best if you let the salmorejo stand overnight
in the fridge. All the ingredients' flavors meld somehow and the result
is wonderful.

The typical garnish for serving salmorejo is hard-boiled eggs and
Spanish ham, both chopped in small pieces, and added to each bowl at the
time of serving.

From The Winter Guest, a website by Miriam GarcŪa. via
galle-@juno.com

http://www.tienda.com/recipes/emails/080612.html?utm_source=Resp&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=EMC-080712UPD

_______________________________________

Bacon and Cheese Waffles

1 egg
1 cup milk
1 8 ounce container sour cream
1 tablespoon butter, melted
2 cups baking mix
6 to 8 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

Combine egg, milk, sour cream and butter; mix until well blended. Fold
in bacon and cheese.

Bake in preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions
until golden brown. Makes 12 4 inch square waffles.

Sue Cookinc-@aol.com
_______________________________________

Sausage Biscuit Bites

1 pound hot sausage
2 cups grated sharp Cheddar cheese
3 cups Bisquick mix

Sausage should be at room temperature. Mix all ingredients with hands.
Shape into 1 inch balls. Bake on cookie sheet at 375F, approximately 20
minutes. After first 10 minutes, turn, and continue cooking until done.

Sue Cookinc-@aol.com
_______________________________________
_______________________________________

_______________________________________

Recipe du Jourís Good Neighbor Recipes, simply send it via email to
ri-@recipedujour.com   Use ďGNRĒ and the title of your recipe as the
in ďbulletedĒ or 2 column format. Be sure to be specific in your
measurements (donít just say ďa small canĒ of something, give the
the future. WARNING: If you donít follow the guidelines above, we wonít
be able to use your recipe!

The portions of this mailing designated as ďRichís NoteĒ and ďSimply
TimĒ are © Copyright 2012 by Richard Rowand and Tim Lee. All rights
to any and all family and friends.

only.

mailto:rdj-sub-@topica.com

resubscribe from your new address.

mailto:rdj-unsu-@topica.com

Recipe du Jour is strictly an opt-in service. We do not sell, loan, or
give our subscribersí addresses to anyone for any reason. Our features
are intended as entertainment only.

.