Welcome Guest!
 RECIPE DU JOUR
RDJ-- Quick Bouillabaisse Pasta, 08-14-12  RDJ
 Aug 14, 2012 20:55 PDT

_______________________________________
Volume 15      Number 145
US Library of Congress ISSN: 1530-3292

_______________________________________

Quick Bouillabaisse Pasta

1 (9-ounce) package refrigerated fettuccine
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon herbes de Provence
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (8-ounce) bottle clam juice
12 medium mussels, cleaned and debearded
8 ounces medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 (8-ounce) halibut fillet, cut into 1-inch pieces
Chopped fresh basil (optional)

Cook refrigerated fettuccine according to package directions, omitting
salt and fat. Drain and keep warm.

Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic to
pan; cook 1 minute. Add flour to pan; cook 30 seconds, stirring
constantly with a whisk. Stir in herbes de Provence, turmeric, tomatoes,
and clam juice; bring to a boil. Stir in mussels, shrimp, and fish.
Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes or until mussels open. Discard
any unopened shells.

Place 1 cup pasta in each of 4 bowls; top each serving with about 1/3
cup fish mixture and 3 mussels. Garnish with basil, if desired. Makes 4
servings.

Nutritional Information
Amount per serving
    Calories: 407
    Calories from fat: 18%
    Fat: 8.3g
    Saturated fat: 1.2g
    Monounsaturated fat: 3.5g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 2g
    Protein: 37.5g
    Carbohydrate: 41.5g
    Fiber: 3.6g
    Cholesterol: 119mg
    Iron: 4.4mg
    Sodium: 632mg
    Calcium: 96mg
_______________________________________

TAKE TWO
By Walt Mills

The Crack of Doom

Around 4 a.m. this morning, the dog and wife and kids and I were
startled out of sleep by a bolt of lightning and a crash of thunder that
sounded like the end of the world. Then the rains began to fall in a
curtain of water, like the greatest waterfall of all time. I went
downstairs and disconnected the computer from the wall outlet, then for
an hour I lay in the dark and watched the lightning and listened to the
thunder and the rain on the tin roof.

We don’t seem to get a simple rain anymore. “How gentle is the rain that
falls softly on the meadow,” the Supremes sang, and Shakespeare wrote
about how “the quality of mercy is not strain’d, it droppeth like the
gentle rain from heaven.” Not anymore. Now it droppeth like the hammer
of Thor. The gods are angry.

A couple of weeks ago, while we were on vacation in the South, my
nephew’s house was struck by lightning while he and his family were out
of town. The lightning blew the bark off a tree in their yard, then
skipped across to an electrical wire, blew holes in their gas lines from
which gas poured out for days, destroyed all their electronics, and sent
the dog into a spastic state of terror that is probably irreversible.
That story, and Tim’s recent lightning related computer crash, prompted
my 4 a.m. jaunt in the dark to unplug our computer.

James Hansen, NASA’s top climate scientist and a widely despised figure
among people who don’t believe the climate is changing (just Google
him), recently came out with predictions, based on his calculations,
that indicate the chances for extreme weather events have multiplied. He
blames the forest fires in the western US and the killer heat wave in
Russia on manmade climate change. Hansen says it’s like a loaded die, in
which 4 to 5 sides of the die are painted red for extreme heat. Roll the
die and you will sometimes get a cool summer, but more often than not
you will get extreme heat and drought. But because warm air can hold
more water vapor, other places and other times will have extreme
rainfall events.

I like my rainfall events a little less extreme – more like a soft, warm
tapping on my roof and walls, as Paul Simon sang in 1965, back before
the gods got angry. Or whatever that is keeping me up in the night.

Read more of Walt's writing at his blog:
http://americanimpressionist.wordpress.com/

(The above column is copyright © 2012 by Walter Mills. All rights
reserved worldwide. To contact Walt, address your emails to
awmi-@verizon.net ).
_______________________________________

Link of the Day:

Photos need to be a certain size in order to look their best.

If you want to resize a bunch of photos, one has to do it by hand and it
can be tricky to end up with the perfect amount of pixels.

Cropp.me solves all that. Upload up to five different photos at a time
and the site will automatically crop the edges to a set height and
width.

Cropp.me does a great job of recognizing the interesting parts of a
picture so it won't accidentally cut out something you want to leave in.

http://cropp.me/

from Wendy
_______________________________________

Off The Shelf

Have you tried a new product lately? Want to share your opinion with
others? This is your chance to review new grocery items. Name the
product. Say what it is. We ask that you be specific about the qualities
you like or dislike without getting “long-winded.” We also ask you to
mention your city and state (or country) because all new products aren’t
available everywhere and some are just in test markets. Please, no
direct marketing items.

Put OTS or Off The Shelf in the subject line and send to
rrow-@gmail.com
___________________

There were no Off The Shelf submissions this week.
_______________________________________

Do You Remember?

Green Acres

Green acres is the place for me.
Farm livin' is the life for me.
Land spreadin' out so far and wide
Keep Manhattan, just give me that countryside.
New York is where I'd rather stay.
I get allergic smelling hay.
I just adore a penthouse view.
Dah-ling I love you but give me Park Avenue.
...The chores.
...The stores.
...Fresh air.
...Times Square