Welcome Guest!
 RECIPE DU JOUR
RDJ-- Strawberry Chicken Salad, 08-16-12  RDJ
 Aug 16, 2012 19:59 PDT

_______________________________________
Volume 15      Number 147
US Library of Congress ISSN: 1530-3292

_______________________________________

Strawberry Chicken Salad

4 skinned and boned chicken breast halves
Raspberry Vinaigrette, divided (recipe follows)
8 cups mixed salad greens
1 quart strawberries, sliced
2 pears, sliced
2 avocados, peeled and sliced
1/2 small sweet onion, diced
1/2 cup pecan halves, toasted

Combine chicken and 1/2 cup Raspberry Vinaigrette in a large zip-top
freezer bag. Seal and chill 1 hour.

Remove chicken from marinade, discarding marinade.

Grill, covered with grill lid, over medium-high heat (350F to 400F) 4
minutes on each side or until done. Let chicken stand 10 minutes; slice.

Place salad greens and next 5 ingredients in a large bowl, and gently
toss. Divide mixture evenly between 4 serving plates; top with grilled
chicken slices. Serve with remaining Raspberry Vinaigrette. Makes 4
servings.

Raspberry Vinaigrette

3/4 cup pear nectar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup raspberry vinegar
3 tablespoons chopped, fresh basil
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt

Place all ingredients in a screw-top jar; cover tightly, and shake
vigorously until blended. Store in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks,
shaking before serving. Makes 1 1/2 cups.

(nutritional info not available)
_______________________________________

Link of the Day

Library of Congress: Today in History
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/ammem/today/today.html

"Each day an event from American history is illustrated by digitized
items from the Library of Congress American Memory historic
collections."

from Caroline
_______________________________________

Food For Thought

We’re interested in knowing what you read, think about, watch, and
listen to. This is a chance to share your thoughts with thousands of
Recipe du Jour readers, the same Good Neighbors who have shared their
favorite recipes with you over the years. Think of it as a conversation
with a friend over the backyard fence about the book you just finished,
the story you can’t forget, your favorite movie or television episode or
whatever.

Send your submissions to rrow-@gmail.com   with Food For Thought as
the subject. If you wish to include your email address, please do. Keep
your comments to under two hundred words, but don’t feel obligated to
write more than a few sentences. We also ask that you steer clear of
religion, politics, and products or services that you sell.

Depending on the number of submissions received, your offering might not
be posted until a later issue. Feedback is welcomed and encouraged.
Enjoy.
___________________

I don’t know if Food For Thought is supposed to include links to sites
or not, but just in case it is, I came across one yesterday that is
full of people’s definitions of what makes them happy:

http://thehappyshow.tumblr.com/

It’s part of an art show by Stefan Sagmeister. He offers people a piece
of yellow paper, a marker and instructions to draw a symbol of happiness
(no smiley faces please). From a stack of pancakes to a bumble bee and
whole worlds in between, the pictures are delightful. I know they made
me smile. I hope they can do the same for the rest of the RDJ community.

Claire in Vancouver
____________________

I was just wondering if anyone has read the book or followed the "Belly
Wheat" diet by Dr. William Davis. I keep hearing about it and am
thinking of looking into the diet for losing weight. I also have many
allergies and was hoping this diet would help. I'd love to hear
anyone's ideas about this book.

Cornelia, Arlington, VA
____________________

RE: pete the cat books

Recently children in missouri voted for their favorite form among 10
books. Pete The Cat was voted the best book by the children of
missouri. Such a smashingly good book.

Agnes, grandma to 4 lovely girls
____________________

Looking for a very old recipe – probably back in the 1940’s or so -

Lemon squares not made with lemon pie filling – line a pan with graham
wafers and put on a filling and do this several times and then let it
set and it is all soft to cut -

Any help would be appreciated - Thanks,

Betty Fudge 2da-@rogers.com
____________________

Just finished reading The Given Day by Dennis Lehane. It’s an historical
novel by the writer of Mystic River concerning the Boston police strike
of 1918. His writing is terrific and illuminates the times. Yes, it is
violent and laced with profanity, but this period of history is violent
and profane.

Rich
_______________________________________

rrow-@gmail.com    Use “GNR” and the title of your recipe as the