Welcome Guest!
 RECIPE DU JOUR
RDJ-- Roasted Pepper, Squash, and Feta Salad, 08-20-12  RDJ
 Aug 20, 2012 16:39 PDT

_______________________________________
Volume 15      Number 150
US Library of Congress ISSN: 1530-3292

_______________________________________

Roasted Pepper, Squash, and Feta Salad

1 red, yellow, or green bell pepper
4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
2 yellow squash, chopped into 1/2-inch cubes
2 zucchini squash, chopped into 1/2-inch cubes
1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
Fresh rosemary leaves, chopped (about 1 tablespoon)
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
3 ounces feta (3/4 cup), crumbled
1 bunch (about 6 cups) fresh arugula, baby spinach, or mesclun greens,
washed and drained

Preheat oven to broil.

Coat bell pepper evenly with 1 teaspoon olive oil, and place on a baking
sheet. Broil 3 inches from heat 10 minutes or until charred.

Remove pepper from oven, and place in a paper bag or bowl covered with
plastic wrap; let steam for about 5 minutes. (This process will loosen
the skin so it will be easier to peel.) Remove seeds; chop the pepper,
and place in a large bowl. Set aside.

Reduce oven heat to 400F. Place yellow and zucchini squash cubes on a
15- x 10-inch jellyroll pan; add remaining 3 teaspoons olive oil,
vinegar, and rosemary. Toss to coat vegetables evenly; add sea salt and
pepper, and spread evenly in a single layer. Roast at 400F for 30
minutes, stirring several times while cooking, until vegetables are
tender and light brown around the edges. Remove from oven; cool to room
temperature.

Add squash (and any pan drippings from squash), feta, and additional
salt and pepper to chopped bell pepper in bowl; toss gently to mix.

Remove stems and any discolored leaves from arugula, and place on
individual serving plates or a large platter. Place a spoonful of squash
mixture on top, and drizzle with a little olive oil and vinegar if
needed. Serve warm or at room temperature. Makes 4 to 6 servings.
_______________________________________

Rich's Note:   Attrition and Other Such Stuff

When we first started Recipe du Jour we were absolutely thrilled when we
finally hit 100 subscribers after a month or so. We advertised a bit and
hit 300, then 500, and jumped for joy when we passed 1,000.

A year or so later I remember one night sitting at a triple-A baseball
park watching a game with my dad and realizing that we had enough
subscribers to fill that stadium three times. We had recently hit
24,000 subscribers. It was rather humbling to say the least.

We climbed a bit above that, but never hit 30,000. In fact, we decided
to stop swapping subscription ads with other ezines because ezines in
general were, by that time, beginning to decline with many suspending
publication. We stopped all advertising for a cleaner look, depending on
your donations to meet our expenses. For the most part you’ve been good
and generous in that regard.

In the ensuing years attrition has taken its toll and we only have a
third of the subscribers we had in our heyday. We’d like to start
growing again and you can help by telling your friends about us and
asking them to subscribe. Mention us on Facebook and Twitter and
Pinterest. Tell them it’s free and all they have to do is send a blank
email to:   rdj-sub-@topica.com and they’ll get all the things you
enjoy in their mailbox every day.

Thank you.

Rich can be reached at rrow-@gmail.com

BTW: We’re getting low on GNR and GND submissions.
_______________________________________

Link of the Day:

Fact Monster
http://www.factmonster.com/

"Fact Monster is a free reference site for students, teachers, and
parents. Get homework help and find facts on thousands of subjects,
including sports, entertainment, geography, history, biography,
education, and health."

from Caroline
_______________________________________

Do You Remember?

Mrs. Brown You've Got a Lovely Daughter
Herman's Hermits 1965
Trevor Peacock

Mrs. Brown you've got a lovely daughter
Girls as sharp as her are somethin' rare
But it's sad, she doesn't love me now
She's made it clear enough it ain't no good to pine

She wants to return those things I bought her
Tell her she can keep them just the same
Things have changed, she doesn't love me now
She's made it clear enough it ain't no good to pine

Walkin' about, even in a crowd, well
You'll pick her out, makes a bloke feel so proud

If she finds that I've been round to see you (round to see you)
Tell her that I'm well and feelin' fine (feelin' fine)
Don't let on, don't say she's broke my heart
I'd go down on my knees but it's no good to pine

Walkin' about, even in a crowd, well
You'll pick her out, makes a bloke feel so proud

If she finds that I've been round to see you (round to see you)
Tell her that I'm well and feelin' fine (feelin' fine)
Don't let on, don't say she's broke my heart
I'd go down on my knees but it's no good to pine

Mrs. Brown you've got a lovely daughter (lovely daughter)
Mrs. Brown you've got a lovely daughter (lovely daughter)
Mrs. Brown you've got a lovely daughter (lovely daughter)
Mrs. Brown you've got a lovely daughter (lovely daughter)
_______________________________________
_______________________________________

rrow-@gmail.com    Use “GNR” and the title of your recipe as the
be able to use your recipe!

to any and all family and friends.

only.

mailto:rdj-sub-@topica.com

resubscribe from your new address.

mailto:rdj-unsu-@topica.com

features are intended as entertainment only.

.