Welcome Guest!
 RECIPE DU JOUR
RDJ-- Flounder Rolls, 08-21-12  RDJ
 Aug 21, 2012 05:58 PDT

_______________________________________
Volume 15      Number 151
US Library of Congress ISSN: 1530-3292

_______________________________________

Flounder Rolls with Cherry Tomatoes and Spinach

1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 tablespoon chopped shallots
1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered and divided
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
1/4 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
1/2 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
6 (6-ounce) skinless flounder fillets
Cooking spray
1 1/2 cups dry white wine
1 (10-ounce) package fresh spinach

Preheat oven to 400F.

Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add
shallots; sauté 3 minutes or until tender and lightly browned. Add
garlic; sauté 30 seconds. Spoon shallot mixture into a food processor.
Add 1/2 cup tomatoes, parsley, juice, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon
pepper, and Old Bay seasoning; process just until combined. Spoon
shallot mixture into a bowl; stir in panko.

Place each fillet between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; pound to
1/2-inch thickness using a meat mallet or small heavy skillet. Spoon
about 1 1/2 tablespoons shallot mixture on the small end of each fillet.
Beginning with small end, roll up jelly-roll fashion; secure with
toothpicks. Arrange rolls on a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray.
Drizzle with 2 teaspoons oil; sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8
teaspoon pepper. Add remaining 1/2 cup tomatoes and wine to pan. Bake at
400F for 25 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork
or until desired degree of doneness.

Heat remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over
medium-high heat. Gradually add spinach; sauté for 3 minutes or until
spinach wilts. Remove from heat; sprinkle with remaining 1/8 teaspoon
salt and remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Remove fish and tomatoes from
oven; discard wine. Serve fish and tomatoes over spinach. Makes 6
servings.

Nutritional Information
Amount per serving
    Calories: 224
    Calories from fat: 23%
    Fat: 5.8g
    Saturated fat: 1g
    Monounsaturated fat: 2.9g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
    Protein: 34.5g
    Carbohydrate: 7.5g
    Fiber: 1.6g
    Cholesterol: 82mg
    Iron: 2.2mg
    Sodium: 414mg
    Calcium: 86mg
_______________________________________

TAKE TWO
By Walt Mills

The Catch-Up

It’s a lot of fun to be caught up in a great television series and wait
expectantly for each new episode to air. We don’t really do it that way
around our house. We didn’t watch Lost and we haven’t seen Breaking Bad.
The Sopranos, what’s that? For one thing, our cable company is a small
rural service, and we didn’t sign up for HBO, or even, for that matter,
ESPN. We get not much more choice that I did as a kid in the 1950s and
‘60s, when we had three networks, plus a spotty educational channel.

Although it is the case that we spend a lot of time reading books and
listening to music, we still watch a fair amount of television, we just
don’t do it in the same way we once did. Now we send off to Netflix and
get a disk in the mail every couple of days with two or three episode of
some television series we are wrapped up in. This summer it has been the
past twelve or so seasons of the British series Doctor Who. Most people
have at least heard of Doctor Who, which is about a time traveler who is
constantly saving the planet Earth, if not the entire universe, from
some form of alien and awful depredation. His time machine is a
London-style police call box, an old fashion phone booth, though inside
it’s rather swank, in a steampunk sort of way.

The Doctor himself has been played by any number of actors over the
years, all the way back to the seventies. They get around this
limitation by making the Doctor an immortal who changes his body each
time he is killed or about to die. Something like that. He travels
through space and time with a cohort of young attractive women who also
get tossed out of the call box every couple of years for a new face. In
the swift passage of the Netflix universe, you just come to develop a
real fondness for the characters when they are gone.

That is the joy and sadness of watching these compilations of old
serials. The anticipation of the next episode instead of being spread
out over years is condensed into a few months. But then we are off to
the next adventure in serial television.

Read more of Walt's writing at his blog:
http://americanimpressionist.wordpress.com/

(The above column is copyright © 2012 by Walter Mills. All rights
reserved worldwide. To contact Walt, address your emails to
awmi-@verizon.net ).
_______________________________________

Link of the Day:

Using deductive reasoning and a vast knowledge of the Internet, this
website can guess your thoughts.

Akinator, the Web Genius is a genie whose purpose is to determine what
fictional or non-fictional character of which you are thinking.

Just answer his Yes/No/Maybe questions and he'll be able to deduce your
character. See if you can stump him! Akinator knows most famous
historical figures and even plenty of Internet sensations.

http://us.akinator.com/

from Wendy
_______________________________________

Off The Shelf

Have you tried a new product lately? Want to share your opinion with
others? This is your chance to review new grocery items. Name the
product. Say what it is. We ask that you be specific about the qualities
you like or dislike without getting “long-winded.” We also ask you to
mention your city and state (or country) because all new products aren’t
available everywhere and some are just in test markets. Please, no
direct marketing items.

Put OTS or Off The Shelf in the subject line and send to
rrow-@gmail.com
___________________

Rich Says: Since we didn’t receive any OTS submissions again this week,
I thought I’d share the Little Tricks some of our good neighbors have
shared.
___________________

I add a tablespoon of grape jelly to spaghetti sauce to cut the acidity.

Angela from Louisiana
____________________

Add a pinch of cinnamon to the flour used to flour liver and fry the
liver in bacon grease.

Add a soup spoon full of brown sugar to the skillet when frying ham
slices.

When using boxed cornbread mix (I use Jiffy) use a small can of creamed
corn and a large spoonful of sour cream to box directions. Use an iron
skillet. Put half a stick of butter in the skillet, put it in the oven
to melt and when butter is melted remove skillet, spread cornbread mix
in it and bake as directed. Butter should come up around the edges and
on top of the cornbread, making the edges really brown and crisp.

Be sure to take your cholesterol medicine every day as directed.

Carole
____________________

yup...I always put vanilla in the pot when making cocoa. I also add a
bit of ground cloves and mace along with the cinnamon and nutmeg to my
apple pie. I use Splenda for my apple pie, etc. as I am cooking for a
diabetic. A bit of chopped up cucumber goes into my cocktail sauce.

Susan
____________________

I like to add a little horseradish to my mayo/mustard/egg yolk mixture
for deviled eggs. Makes them devilishly different. Also, I pour a cup
or so of coffee over a beef pot roast before cooking. The remaining
juice makes a good base for gravy.

Angie
____________________

How to separate an egg. No translation necessary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Uz2Vnp5ZW4c

This looks so cool, can't wait to try it.

Charmaine
_______________________________________

Do You Remember?

The Name Game
Shirley Ellis 1965

The name game!

Shirley!
Shirley, Shirley bo Birley Bonana fanna fo Firley
Fee fy mo Mirley, Shirley!

Lincoln!
Lincoln, Lincoln bo Bincoln Bonana fanna fo Fincoln
Fee fy mo Mincoln, Lincoln!

Come on everybody!
I say now let's play a game
I betcha I can make a rhyme out of anybody's name
The first letter of the name, I treat it like it wasn't there
But a B or an F or an M will appear
And then I say bo add a B then I say the name and Bonana fanna and a
fo
And then I say the name again with an F very plain
and a fee fy and a mo
And then I say the name again with an M this time
and there isn't any name that I can't rhyme

Arnold!
Arnold, Arnold bo Barnold Bonana fanna fo Farnold
Fee fy mo Marnold Arnold!

But if the first two letters are ever the same,
I drop them both and say the name like
Bob, Bob drop the B's Bo ob
For Fred, Fred drop the F's Fo red
For Mary, Mary drop the M's Mo ary
That's the only rule that is contrary.

Okay? Now say Bo: Bo
Now Tony with a B: Bony
Then Bonana fanna fo: bonana fanna fo
Then you say the name again with an F very plain: Fony
Then a fee fy and a mo: fee fy mo
Then you say the name again with an M this time: Mony
And there isn't any name that you can't rhyme

Every body do Tony!
Pretty good, let's do Billy!
Very good, let's do Marsha!
A little trick with Nick!