Welcome Guest!
 RECIPE DU JOUR
RDJ-- Zucchini Fusilli, 08-22-12  RDJ
 Aug 22, 2012 06:20 PDT

_______________________________________
Volume 15       Number 152
US Library of Congress ISSN: 1530-3292

_______________________________________

Zucchini Fusilli

2 pounds zucchini
2 garlic cloves
12 large basil leaves
1/3 cup pine nuts
2 tablespoons butter, divided
1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
1/2 teaspoon plus 1 tbsp. salt, divided
3/4 pound fusilli
1 cup fresh finely shredded parmesan cheese (about 2 oz.), divided

Bring a large pot of water to boil. Meanwhile, trim and discard ends of
zucchini. Cut each zucchini into 3- to 4-in. lengths; cut each length
into 1/4- to 1/2-in.-thick matchsticks and set aside. Chop garlic and
set aside. Cut basil leaves into thin ribbons and set aside.

In a large frying pan over medium heat, toast pine nuts, stirring, until
golden, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside. In the
same pan, melt 1 tbsp. butter with 2 tsp. olive oil. Increase heat to
high and add half of the zucchini and 1/4 tsp. salt. Cook zucchini,
stirring frequently, until soft and browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer
zucchini to a plate with a slotted spoon, leaving as much of the butter
and oil in the pan as possible. Repeat with remaining zucchini and 1/4
tsp. salt. Remove frying pan from heat and reserve.

Add remaining 1 tbsp. salt and fusilli to boiling water and cook until
pasta is tender to the bite, 5 to 10 minutes. Drain and transfer to a
large bowl.

Meanwhile, heat reserved frying pan over medium-high heat, add remaining
1 tsp. olive oil and the chopped garlic, and cook until fragrant but not
browned, about 1 minute. Add reserved zucchini and pine nuts. Cook,
stirring, until well combined. Add zucchini mixture and reserved basil
to cooked fusilli and toss to combine. Add 1/2 cup parmesan and
remaining 1 tbsp. butter. Toss until butter melts and everything is well
combined. Divide among 6 plates or pasta bowls. Sprinkle with remaining
1/2 cup parmesan and serve immediately. Makes 6 servings.

Nutritional Information
Amount per serving
    Calories: 367
    Calories from fat: 32%
    Protein: 14g
    Fat: 13g
    Saturated fat: 5g
    Carbohydrate: 49g
    Fiber: 2.5g
    Sodium: 651mg
    Cholesterol: 17mg
_______________________________________

Rich Says: Guess what I found in my inbox early, early, early this
morning? This:

Simply Tim: "Yawn. Stretch. Scratchscratch."

To view this Simply Tim feature, go to his blog spot:
http://simplytim.wordpress.com/2012/08/22/yawn-stretch-scratchscratch/

______________________________________

Link of the Day:

Do you have a hankering for some true American folk cuisine from a
roadside diner?

Roadfood is a great resource to help you find your next favorite
restaurant. Whether you're at home or traveling, Roadfood has a diner
near you. You can browse by location or type. Each restaurant has a map,
reviews, contact info and pictures. Bring your appetite!

http://www.roadfood.com/

from Wendy
_______________________________________

Do You Remember?

CRIMSON AND CLOVER
Tommy James & The Shondells 1968
written by Tommy James and Peter Lucia

Now I don't hardly know her
But I think I could love her
Crimson and clover

Ah
Well if she come walkin' over
Now I been waitin' to show her
Crimson and clover
Over and over

------ instrumental break ------

Yeah
My mind's such a sweet thing
I wanna do everything
What a beautiful feeling
Crimson and clover
Over and over

------ instrumental break ------

Crimson and clover, over and over (repeat to fade)
_______________________________________
_______________________________________

_______________________________________

rrow-@gmail.com     Use “GNR” and the title of your recipe as the
be able to use your recipe!

The portions of this mailing designated as “Rich’s Note” are © Copyright
2012 by Richard Rowand. All rights reserved worldwide. Feel free to
forward this mailing, in its entirety, to any and all family and
friends.

only.

mailto:rdj-sub-@topica.com

resubscribe from your new address.