Welcome Guest!
 RECIPE DU JOUR
RDJ-- GNR, 08-24-12  RDJ
 Aug 25, 2012 19:44 PDT

_______________________________________
Volume 15     Number 154
US Library of Congress ISSN: 1530-3292

_______________________________________

It’s Good Neighbor Recipes Friday!!

Welcome to our Good Neighbor Recipes edition of Recipe du Jour! On
Fridays we turn over the recipe presentation to you guys to share and
showcase your favorite recipes with the RDJ neighbors. If you have any
questions about any of the recipes offered today, write an email to the
address given with that specific recipe. If you wish to submit your own
favorite, guidelines are at the end of this mailing. And don’t forget to
forward this mailing to all your friends!

Guidelines for submitting recipes are at the end of this mailing.

Table of Contents:

Charred Green Beans
Creamy Pesto Shrimp
Egg Salad with Bacon, Shallots and Watercress
My Favorite Beets
Cider Pork Chops
Chicken Artichoke Salad
Walla Walla Sweet Onion Salad
Spaghetti Salad

and don’t forget that our sister ezine, Dessert du Jour, is featuring
Good Neighbor Desserts this and every Friday. To subscribe, address a
blank email to
dessert-s-@topica.com

For metric conversion, try
http://www.onlineconversion.com/cooking_volume.htm
_______________________________________

Charred Green Beans

Toss 1 pound green beans on a baking sheet with 6 smashed garlic cloves,
1/4 cup water and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Roast at 450F until the beans
are tender and slightly charred, about 20 minutes. Toss with 2 teaspoons
each chopped tarragon and whole-grain mustard, and salt and pepper to
taste.

Sue Cookinc-@aol.com
_______________________________________

Creamy Pesto Shrimp

1 pound linguine pasta (actually, most any pasta will do)
1/2 cup butter
2 cups heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup pesto
1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined

1.   Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta, and
cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until al dente; drain.

2    In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in
cream, and season with pepper. Cook 6 to 8 minutes, stirring constantly.

3    Stir Parmesan cheese into cream sauce, stirring until thoroughly
mixed. Blend in the pesto, and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until thickened.

4    Stir in the shrimp, and cook until they turn pink, about 5 minutes.
Serve over the hot linguine. Makes 8 servings.

Questions? Comments? mama-@aol.com
_______________________________________

Rich's Note:   Kashi

I have tried a number of food items in the Kashi brand line and am
totally unimpressed. If Kashi represents what is good and healthy, I
prefer to die young.

Kashi seems to be growing and getting more popular and I don’t begrudge
them any success, but I am definitely not a fan. Everything of theirs
I’ve tried is horrible, if it has any taste to begin with.

I am, however, a very big fan of Triscuits. Triscuits good. Kashi bad.

Rich can be reached at rrow-@gmail.com
_______________________________________

Definitely a step above your average egg salad! dsi-@aol.com

Egg Salad with Bacon, Shallots and Watercress
Makes enough for 4 sandwiches.

4 slices bacon cut ino 1/4-inch pieces
2 large shallots , medium chopped
6 large eggs
1/4 cup mayo
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley leaves
1/4 cup watercress , leaves chopped coarse
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons lemon juice
Ground black pepper

In medium skillet over medium heat, fry bacon until brown and crisp,
about 5 minutes. Transfer bacon with slotted spoon to plate lined with
paper towel; pour off all but 1 tablespoon of fat from pan. Add shallots
and sauté until softened and browned, about 5 minutes.

Place eggs in medium saucepan, cover with 1 inch of water, and bring to
boil over high heat. Remove pan from heat, cover, and let sit for 10
minutes. Meanwhile, fill a medium bowl with 1 quart water and 1 tray of
ice cubes (or equivalent).

Transfer eggs to ice water bath with slotted spoon; let sit 5 minutes,
peel and dice medium. Mix mustard and lemon juice well in medium bowl.
Add the other ingredients, mix again and add pepper to taste. Can be
covered and refrigerated overnight
_______________________________________

My Favorite Beets

5 medium fresh beets, peeled and sliced
1 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
1/2 cup red wine vinegar or cider vinegar
3 TBL vegetable oil
1/4 tsp salt
dash pepper

Place beets in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until tender.

Drain and place in a bowl. Add onion. In a small bowl, combine the
vinegar, oil, salt and pepper. Drizzle over beets and toss to coat.

Serve immediately or refrigerate and serve chill.

I found this receipe years ago in a Taste of Home.
rambli-@yahoo.com
_______________________________________

My mother used to make these pork chops so this recipe has been a tried
and loved of mine for more years than I will admit to. Any questions
... sharo-@q.com

Cider Pork Chops

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 pork chops -- bone-in (1/2 inch thick)
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 cup sliced celery
1/2 cup sliced green onions
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1 cup apple cider -- or unsweetened apple juice

In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper.
Add pork chops and toss to coat.

In a large skillet, brown chops in oil over medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
Remove and keep warm.

In the same skillet, saute the celery, onions, garlic and thyme for 2-3
minutes or until crisp-tender.

Return pork to the pan. Add cider. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover
and simmer for 7-8 minutes or until meat juices run clear.
_______________________________________

CHICKEN ARTICHOKE SALAD

4 chicken breast, cooked and cut into bite size pieces
1 package chicken flavor Rice-A-Roni
2 jars marinated artichokes, drained and cut up
2 green onions, chopped
8 stuffed olives, sliced
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon powdered curry powder

Cook rice as directed on package, but omit butter. Mix ingredients and
toss. If not moist enough, add liquid from drained artichokes. Salt
and pepper to taste. Refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving; will
keep several days.

Dot coast-@cableone.net
_______________________________________

This was a salad served at a restaurant buffet in Joseph, Oregon, years
ago. It took me quite awhile to find the recipe, but finally, in the
Walla Walla Gardeners Assoc. publication: “Walla Walla Sweet Onions.”
was this version. It’s very, very similar to what we remembered.
Vidalia sweet onions probably could be substituted. A strange-sounding
recipe, but divine! Questions to Nancy, ortx-@msn.com

Walla Walla Sweet Onion Salad
A favorite at Hayden Lake, Idaho and in Joseph, Oregon

2 Walla Walla Sweet Onions, thinly sliced
1/2 pint whipping cream
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons prepared mustard

Whip cream to consistence of mayonnaise. Add vinegar, sugar and mustard
and stir in well. Toss in onion rings and chill before serving.
_______________________________________

Spaghetti Salad
8 Servings, Prep Time: 10 Minutes, Cook Time: 15 Minutes
This is a very easy salad to make and you can add almost anything to it.
I like adding shrimp but you could use tuna or crab.

22 ounces spaghetti
1 cup chopped celery
1 (4.5 ounce) can small shrimp, drained
1 onion, chopped
1 cup frozen green peas
1 (16 ounce) bottle ranch-style salad dressing

Break pasta in half and cook in a pot of boiling salted water until
al-dente. Drain and cool under cold water.

In a large bowl, combine the pasta, celery, seafood, onion and peas.
Toss with enough dressing to coat. Refrigerate until chilled and serve.

Pat K Chilipe-@yahoo.com
_______________________________________
_______________________________________

_______________________________________

rrow-@gmail.com    Use “GNR” and the title of your recipe as the
be able to use your recipe!

to any and all family and friends.

only.

mailto:rdj-sub-@topica.com

resubscribe from your new address.

mailto:rdj-unsu-@topica.com

Recipe du Jour is strictly an opt-in service. We do not sell, loan, or
give our subscribers’ addresses to anyone for any reason. Our features
are intended as entertainment only.

.