Welcome Guest!
 RECIPE DU JOUR
RDJ-- Creamy Gruyere and Shrimp Pasta, 09-06-12  RDJ
 Sep 06, 2012 10:26 PDT

_______________________________________
Volume 15      Number 164
US Library of Congress ISSN: 1530-3292

_______________________________________

Creamy Gruyère and Shrimp Pasta

8 ounces uncooked cavatelli or orecchiette pasta
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
1 1/4 cups (5 ounces) shredded Gruyère cheese, divided
1 tablespoon butter
1 1/2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons dry white wine
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
2 cups frozen green peas, thawed
Cooking spray
Parsley sprigs (optional)

Preheat oven to 375F.

Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain
well.

Combine the flour and salt in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Gradually
add milk, stirring constantly with a whisk; bring to a boil. Cook 1
minute or until slightly thick, stirring constantly with a whisk. Remove
from heat. Stir in 3/4 cup cheese, stirring until melted.

Heat butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add
shrimp and garlic; sauté 3 minutes. Stir in wine and pepper, and cook 1
minute or until shrimp is done.

Add pasta, shrimp mixture, and peas to cheese mixture, tossing well to
combine. Spoon the pasta mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish lightly
coated with cooking spray; sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/2 cup
cheese. Bake at 375F for 20 minutes or until cheese melts and begins to
brown. Garnish with the parsley, if desired. Serve immediately. Makes 6
servings.

Nutritional Information
Amount per serving
    Calories: 459
    Calories from fat: 27%
    Fat: 13.8g
    Saturated fat: 7.1g
    Monounsaturated fat: 3.7g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 1.6g
    Protein: 39.6g
    Carbohydrate: 41.2g
    Fiber: 2.5g
    Cholesterol: 210mg
    Iron: 4.1mg
    Sodium: 535mg
    Calcium: 415mg
_______________________________________

Simply Tim

"How to get to Mars"
http://simplytim.wordpress.com/2012/09/05/how-to-get-to-mars/
_______________________________________

Link of the Day

CBS Resource Library: Find Articles
http://findarticles.com/

"Contains articles from the back issues of over 900 magazines, journals,
trade publications and newspapers. Search our online article archive or
browse by category list or publication name."

from Caroline
_______________________________________

Food For Thought

We’re interested in knowing what you read, think about, watch, and
listen to. This is a chance to share your thoughts with thousands of
Recipe du Jour readers, the same Good Neighbors who have shared their
favorite recipes with you over the years. Think of it as a conversation
with a friend over the backyard fence about the book you just finished,
the story you can’t forget, your favorite movie or television episode or
whatever.

Send your submissions to rrow-@gmail.com   with Food For Thought as
the subject. If you wish to include your email address, please do. Keep
your comments to under two hundred words, but don’t feel obligated to
write more than a few sentences. We also ask that you steer clear of
religion, politics, and products or services that you sell.

Depending on the number of submissions received, your offering might not
be posted until a later issue. Feedback is welcomed and encouraged.
Enjoy.
___________________

I just saw the first new movie I've seen since 'The Help" came out. This
movie is"This Means War", starring Reese Witherspoon. Quite a fun movie
- she actually seems like a smart woman who is very single and alone but
looking for love. The comedy is good, and the action is relatively
limited to the very beginning and the very end so not a lot of violence.
The language and subject content a few times was questionable, but all
in all quite a fun movie for the monthly "ladies night" that I attend.
And I learned that peanut MMs and popcorn are great together, especially
while the popcorn is warm.

Lisa B. kaits-@gmail.com

Rich says: Susan and I also watched this film the other night and were
pleasantly surprised. We liked it too.
____________________

Love the RDJ!!

I have read many of David Weber's books, both his series and his few
standalone books. Most have been very good, some excellent and a few
not as good but still enjoyable. I read a new one recently that was
just awful - "Out of the Black", an alien invasion story. It was so
bad, that I checked the publication date to see if it had been an early
effort that was only published now, due to his current popularity. Nope
- very recent!

**Spoiler Alert! Spoiler Alert! Spoiler Alert!**
He had written himself into a corner, se he used a very heavy handed
Deus ex machina to end it. His protagonists discovered Dracula, became
vampires (who were actually just misunderstood!) and went onto the alien
ships and killed them all. This combined with the goofy gun-culture
details made it a very disappointing book, particularly considering his
previous excellent work.

Cheers, Dan
____________________

I have just finished a rather unusual book called "Room," by Emma
Donoghue. Unusual, in that it is told through the eyes of a five year
old child, who, for reasons I won't disclose in case you want to read
the book, has been confined to one 12 x 12 room his entire life. I was
not sure I was going to like it, but I had to keep reading until I
finished it in one sitting. You just have to find out the mystery
involved.

Sue Wright
____________________

For Lenoir/GA, re: Macomber books.

If you haven't read her "Cedar Cove" series, I think you would enjoy it.
There are 13 in all and I think they should be read in order. The
first is 16 Lighthouse, then 204 Rosewood Lane, then 311 Pelican Court.
You get the drift, each one is the next numerical. (44 Cranberry Point,
50 Harbor Street. Etc).

it's the same characters and then some added along the way.

Another good series of hers is "Deliverance Company". "Someday Soon is
first, Then Sooner or Later and finally The Sooner the Better.

Recipe Diva JB
_______________________________________

rrow-@gmail.com    Use “GNR” and the title of your recipe as the
be able to use your recipe!