Welcome Guest!
 RECIPE DU JOUR
RDJ-- GNR, 09-14-12  RDJ
 Sep 16, 2012 06:29 PDT

_______________________________________
Volume 15     Number 171
US Library of Congress ISSN: 1530-3292

_______________________________________

It’s Good Neighbor Recipes Friday!!

Welcome to our Good Neighbor Recipes edition of Recipe du Jour! On
Fridays we turn over the recipe presentation to you guys to share and
showcase your favorite recipes with the RDJ neighbors. If you have any
questions about any of the recipes offered today, write an email to the
address given with that specific recipe. If you wish to submit your own
favorite, guidelines are at the end of this mailing. And don’t forget to
forward this mailing to all your friends!

Guidelines for submitting recipes are at the end of this mailing.

Table of Contents:

Amazing 'Pizza' Pork Chops
Baked Potato Casserole
Q&E Arugula, Italian Tuna, and White Bean Salad
Southwest Ranch Spread
Sour Cream Chicken Casserole
Crockpot Beans and Hot Dogs
Creamed Tuna
Beef Bourguignon

and don’t forget that our sister ezine, Dessert du Jour, is featuring
Good Neighbor Desserts this and every Friday. To subscribe, address a
blank email to
dessert-s-@topica.com

For metric conversion, try
http://www.onlineconversion.com/cooking_volume.htm
_______________________________________

Amazing 'Pizza' Pork Chops

5 boneless pork chops
1 pinch salt and ground black pepper to taste
5 slices tomato (1/2-inch thick)
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
5 slices mozzarella cheese

Preheat an outdoor grill for medium heat.

Season the pork chops with salt and black pepper and arrange in the
bottom of a disposable aluminum pan; top each with a tomato slice.
Divide the basil, oregano, and garlic between the pork chops; drizzle
with the olive oil. Cover the pan with aluminum foil.

Cook on the preheated grill until the pork is no longer pink in the
center, about 25 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the
center should read 145 degrees F (63 degrees C). Remove the pan from the
grill; top each pork chop with a slice of mozzarella cheese, replace the
aluminum foil over the pan, and wait until the cheese melts, 3 to 5
minutes, before serving.

Sue Cookinc-@aol.com
_______________________________________

Baked Potato Casserole

5 large baking potatoes, cooked and diced
6 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 lb shredded cheddar cheese
2 cups sour cream
2 bunches green onions, chopped and sauteed in bacon grease
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients. Pour into casserole and bake 30 minutes at 325F.
Serves 6-8

rambli-@yahoo.com
_______________________________________

Rich's Note:   Blah, Blah, Blah

Autumn slid into Purcellville last week in its typical rippling way. All
of a sudden the sun was in our eyes as we drove to work and was already
trying to slip way as we headed home. Stores started selling cinnamon
coated pine cones and little straw dolls on sticks. Watermelons are
making way for pumpkins and we’re anxious for cider.

Some people like autumn a lot more than I do. They see it as a release
from the boredom that summer became. They take their cool air social
skills out of the closet, dusting them off as they put away the skimpy
standards of warmer weather.

I’m not as enthused as some about the fall. To me it’s not so much about
the end of summer as it is about the coming harshness of winter,
bundling up in coats, and nodding to others instead of waving. I may not
be particularly enthused by autumn, but that’s not say I don’t like it
at all. I do.

And I’m coming to like my home in my new little town. There’s an
atmosphere here I never experienced in the seaside city of Virginia
Beach. There’s a small town humility tempered by the arrogance of
northern Virginia. People are reserved, but not with the rudeness one
finds in areas just 15 or 20 miles away. Granted, they are not as
cordial and courteous as in southeastern Virginia, but they are nice
enough and not overly tainted yet by the commuter mindset of this part
of the state.

Purcellville is growing, slowly. It’s eclectic and modest. You may not
be able to find everything you want here, but you can find everything
you need.

Rich can be reached at rrow-@gmail.com
_______________________________________

Q&E Arugula, Italian Tuna, and White Bean Salad

Love no-cook eats! This salad is packed with colorful veggies and gets
a delicious kick from its zesty vinaigrette.

4 servings (serving size: 2 1/4 cups)

3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
1 cup thinly vertically sliced red onion
2 (6-ounce) cans Italian tuna packed in olive oil, drained and broken
into chunks
1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 (5-ounce) package fresh baby arugula
2 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, shaved

Whisk together first 6 ingredients in a large bowl.
Add tomatoes and next 4 ingredients; toss.
Top with cheese.

From Cooking Light   via Wendy dsi-@aol.com
_______________________________________

This is from a box of Publix's cream cheese. Pretty good stuff !!!
lou3-@webtv.net

Southwest Ranch Spread

1 (8 oz ) cream cheese
8 ounces sour cream
1 packet ranch salad dressing mix
1 (10 ounce ) can mild Rotel tomatoes
2 Tbs cilantro --diced fine
Juice of half a lime or 1 tbs.

Process all ingredients in food processor for about 30 seconds or until
smooth. Makes about 2- 1/2 cups

Can use hotter Rotel mix if desired. Chill and then bring to room temp
for serving.
_______________________________________

This is totally delicious. Of course, here in NM, we add green chilies
to everything, so I did have to play with the recipe. Anyone who cooks
with RED or GREEN will know how much to use. ;) ..and if not, it doesn't
matter. To quicken things somewhat, I cut the chicken into cubes and
then browned it.

Sour Cream Chicken Casserole

1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 8 oz. container sour cream
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 roll Ritz crackers
1 stick margarine, melted

Preheat oven to 400F. Brown chicken and cut into cubes. Place in an 8
inch square casserole dish. Mix cream of chicken soup and sour cream in
a medium bowl and spread mixture over chicken. Crush crackers and
sprinkle over soup mixture. Drizzle butter over crackers. Bake
approximately 30 minutes or until bubbly and crackers are slightly
browned.

When I put the left-overs away, I figured the crackers would turn soggy.
They did not.
m warydr-@gmail.com
_______________________________________

Crockpot Beans and Hot Dogs

1 large can (28 ounces) pork and beans
1 can (approx 15 ounces) great northern beans, drained, rinsed
1 can (approx 15 ounces) black beans, drained, rinsed
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 green or red bell pepper, chopped
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
2 tablespoons maple syrup or molasses
1/3 cup barbecue sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 package (about 8) hot dogs

Combine all ingredients except hot dogs in a 4 to 6-quart slow cooker.
Cut hot dogs into 1 to 2-inch lengths and stir into the bean mixture.
Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 6 hours. Serves 6 to 8.

Sue Cookinc-@aol.com
_______________________________________

Creamed Tuna
Serves: 4

1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped celery
3 Tbls. butter OR margarine
3 Tbls. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. celery seed
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1 1/4 cups milk - low-fat okay
1 chicken OR fish bouillon cube
(2) 6 oz. cans tuna in water - drained
1/2 cup sour cream - low-fat okay
1 cup cooked peas
2 - 4 cups cooked egg noodles

In a saucepan over medium heat, cook onion and celery in butter until
soft.

Stir in flour, salt, pepper, celery seed, and garlic powder. Whisk in
milk and bouillon. Simmer until thick, stirring constantly.

Remove from heat then stir in tuna, sour cream, and peas. Serve over hot
noodles.

Sue Cookinc-@aol.com
_______________________________________

This recipe is adapted from "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" by
Julia Child. I thought in honor of her 100th birthday this would be a
nice addition to GNR. I've made this version a few time with wonderful
results. It's a lot of work but worth it. Since she isn't around to
answer any questions ... sharo-@q.com

Beef Bourguignon

6 ounce bacon -- thick cut and good quality
3 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
3 pounds beef stew meat -- lean, cut into 2-inch cubes
1 carrot -- sliced
1 onion -- sliced
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons flour
3 cups red wine -- young and full-bodied (like Beaujolais, Cotes du
Rhone or Burgundy)
2 1/2 cups brown beef stock -- (2 1/2 to 3 1/2) (my note: homemade is
best and worth the effort)
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 cloves mashed garlic
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 bay leaf -- crumbled
24 pearl onions
3 1/2 tablespoons butter
Herb bouquet -- (4 parsley sprigs, one-half bay leaf, one-quarter
teaspoon thyme, tied in cheesecloth)
1 pound mushrooms -- fresh and quartered

Remove bacon rind and cut into lardons (sticks 1/4-inch thick and 1 1/2
inches long). Simmer rind and lardons for 10 minutes in 1 1/2 quarts
water. Drain and dry.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Sauté lardons in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a flameproof casserole
over moderate heat for 2 to 3 minutes to brown lightly. Remove to a side
dish with a slotted spoon.

Dry beef in paper towels; it will not brown if it is damp. Heat fat in
casserole until almost smoking. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and
sauté until nicely browned on all sides. Add it to the lardons.

In the same fat, brown the sliced vegetables. Pour out the excess fat.

Return the beef and bacon to the casserole and toss with 1/2 teaspoon
salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.

Then sprinkle on the flour and toss again to coat the beef lightly. Set
casserole uncovered in middle position of preheated oven for 4 minutes.

Toss the meat again and return to oven for 4 minutes (this browns the
flour and coves the meat with a light crust).

Remove casserole and turn oven down to 325 degrees.

Stir in wine and 2 to 3 cups stock, just enough so that the meat is
barely covered.

Add the tomato paste, garlic, herbs and bacon rind. Bring to a simmer on
top of the stove.

Cover casserole and set in lower third of oven. Regulate heat so that
liquid simmers very slowly for 3 to 4 hours. The meat is done when a
fork pierces it easily.

While the beef is cooking, prepare the onions and mushrooms.

Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons butter with one and one-half tablespoons of the
oil until bubbling in a skillet.

Add onions and sauté over moderate heat for about 10 minutes, rolling
them so they will brown as evenly as possible. Be careful not to break
their skins. You cannot expect them to brown uniformly.

Add 1/2 cup of the stock, salt and pepper to taste and the herb bouquet.

Cover and simmer slowly for 40 to 50 minutes until the onions are
perfectly tender but hold their shape, and the liquid has evaporated.
Remove herb bouquet and set onions aside.

Wipe out skillet and heat remaining oil and butter over high heat. As
soon as you see butter has begun to subside, indicating it is hot
enough, add mushrooms.

Toss and shake pan for 4 to 5 minutes. As soon as they have begun to
brown lightly, remove from heat.

When the meat is tender, pour the contents of the casserole into a sieve
set over a saucepan.

Wash out the casserole and return the beef and lardons to it. Distribute
the cooked onions and mushrooms on top.

Skim fat off sauce in saucepan. Simmer sauce for a minute or 2, skimming
off additional fat as it rises. You should have about 2 1/2 cups of
sauce thick enough to coat a spoon lightly.

If too thin, boil it down rapidly. If too thick, mix in a few
tablespoons stock. Taste carefully for seasoning.

Pour sauce over meat and vegetables. Cover and simmer 2 to 3 minutes,
basting the meat and vegetables with the sauce several times.

Serve in casserole, or arrange stew on a platter surrounded with
potatoes, noodles or rice, and decorated with parsley.
_______________________________________
_______________________________________

_______________________________________

rrow-@gmail.com    Use “GNR” and the title of your recipe as the
be able to use your recipe!

to any and all family and friends.

only.

mailto:rdj-sub-@topica.com

resubscribe from your new address.

mailto:rdj-unsu-@topica.com

Recipe du Jour is strictly an opt-in service. We do not sell, loan, or
give our subscribers’ addresses to anyone for any reason. Our features
are intended as entertainment only.

.