Welcome Guest!
 RECIPE DU JOUR
RDJ-- Easy Greek Chicken Casserole, 09-18-12  RDJ
 Sep 21, 2012 05:59 PDT

_______________________________________
Volume 15      Number 174
US Library of Congress ISSN: 1530-3292

_______________________________________

Easy Greek Chicken Casserole

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups chopped onion (about 1 large)
2 tablespoons dried thyme
1 to 2 teaspoons black pepper
10 garlic cloves, minced
6 cups (1/2-inch) cubed red potato (about 2 pounds)
2 cups (1-inch) cut green beans (about 1/2 pound)
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons anchovy paste or finely chopped olives
2 (14.5-ounce) cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
8 skinned, boned chicken thighs (about 1 pound)
1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled feta cheese

Preheat oven to 375F.

Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion,
and sauté for 3 minutes. Add the thyme, pepper, and garlic; sauté 1
minute. Increase heat to medium-high. Add potato; sauté 8 minutes or
until potato begins to brown. Stir in green beans, water, anchovy paste,
and tomatoes. Remove mixture from heat. Nestle chicken thighs into
potato mixture. Top with feta cheese. Cover and bake at 375F for 45
minutes. Makes 4 servings.

Nutritional Information
Amount per serving
    Calories: 488
    Calories from fat: 23%
    Fat: 12.6g
    Saturated fat: 4.2g
    Monounsaturated fat: 4.9g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 2.1g
    Protein: 34.5g
    Carbohydrate: 62g
    Fiber: 7.3g
    Cholesterol: 134mg
    Iron: 7.8mg
    Sodium: 775mg
    Calcium: 250mg
_______________________________________

TAKE TWO
By Walt Mills

The Dawn Patrol

We’re planning on beginning a monthly movie night at our small town
community center, and I’ve been asked to pick the movies and write up
something about them for the valley newsletter. It’s an exciting
prospect – so many great films I’d like to share. But where to begin?

I thought I might start in 1938. The war is about to begin in Europe,
and Hollywood can’t wait to cash in on the opportunity. A group of
A-list British actors is gathered for a remake of a 1930 film, one of
the first talkies, called The Dawn Patrol: the dashing Errol Flynn as
the ace fighter pilot; his buddy, the debonair David Niven; and Basil
Rathbone ( Hollywood’s best sword fighter and star of the popular
Sherlock Holmes films) as the squadron commander.

It has a dark plot. It’s 1914 and each dawn a group of fighter pilots
take off from the aerodrome to protect the English Channel from German
fighters. Every morning, a few of the barely trained young pilots are
shot down. The feeling of fatalism is intense, broken by moments of
black humor.

I came across the film on the Turner Movie Channel, or whatever it was
called in 1980. I had gotten home from my job on the night shift at
about 8 am and turned on the little portable television in my living
room. The movie was just starting, and soon I was riveted to the screen.
The intense drama was staged almost like a play in one or two rooms with
occasional clunky scenes of pilots in flight. I think a few tears may
have sprung from my eyes.

Twenty years later my family is visiting the Smithsonian Institute where
there is a large exhibit recalling WWI. The movie they are playing on a
screen inside the exhibit is The Dawn Patrol. Again I was entranced and
stood for long minutes recalling nearly every word.

I wonder if other people would respond to the film the way I did. Or
would they find it dated and ludicrous in this age of digital special
effects? I may get to find out in a few weeks. And it comes with a Bugs
Bunny cartoon and newsreels. Wish you were all here.

(Do you have a film or double feature suggestion for our community movie
night? Let me know.)

Read more of Walt's writing at his blog:
http://americanimpressionist.wordpress.com/

(The above column is copyright © 2012 by Walter Mills. All rights
reserved worldwide. To contact Walt, address your emails to
awmi-@verizon.net ).
_______________________________________

Link of the Day:

Me the Musical turns your Facebook Timeline into a Broadway showstopper.
Just grant it access to your Facebook account and let it automatically
sing and dance out the details of your life.

As with any Facebook plug-in, you can control who sees it and how it
shows up in your feed.

http://www.intel.com/musical/us/en/r/index.htm

from Wendy
_______________________________________

Off The Shelf

Have you tried a new product lately? Want to share your opinion with
others? This is your chance to review new grocery items. Name the
product. Say what it is. We ask that you be specific about the qualities
you like or dislike without getting “long-winded.” We also ask you to
mention your city and state (or country) because all new products aren’t
available everywhere and some are just in test markets. Please, no
direct marketing items.

Put OTS or Off The Shelf in the subject line and send to
rrow-@gmail.com
___________________

No Off The Shelf submissions were received this week.
_______________________________________

Do You Remember?

TRACKS OF MY TEARS
William Robinson, Marv Tarplin, Warren Moore 1965

People say I'm the life of the party
'Cause I tell a joke or two
Although I might be laughing loud and hearty
Deep inside I'm blue

So take a good look at my face
You know my smile looks out of place
If you look closer it's easy to trace
The tracks of my tears

I need you...
Need you

Since you left me if you see me with another girl
Looking like I'm having fun
Although she may be cute, she's just a substitute
'Cause you're the permanent one

So take a good look at my face
You know my smile looks out of place
If you look closer it's easy to trace