Welcome Guest!
 RECIPE DU JOUR
RDJ-- Lemon Basil Shrimp w/Rice, 10-02-12  RDJ
 Oct 02, 2012 06:05 PDT

_______________________________________
Volume 15      Number 185
US Library of Congress ISSN: 1530-3292

_______________________________________

Lemon Basil Shrimp with Rice

1/2 teaspoon hot chili flakes
1 1/2 teaspoons shredded lemon peel
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
1 pound (38 to 50 per lb.) frozen uncooked shelled, deveined shrimp
3 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with 3 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
3 cups hot, cooked white rice

In a 12-inch frying pan or 5- to 6-quart pan over high heat, combine
chili flakes, lemon peel, lemon juice, and broth.

When broth mixture boils, add shrimp and stir often until shrimp are
opaque but moist-looking in the center of the thickest part (cut to
test), 5 to 8 minutes. Stir cornstarch mixture into pan; stir until
boiling again. Add basil.

Mound rice equally into wide bowls. Ladle shrimp mixture around rice.
Makes 4 servings.

Nutritional Information
Amount per serving
    Calories: 326
    Calories from fat: 6.4%
    Protein: 32g
    Fat: 2.3g
    Saturated fat: 0.5g
    Carbohydrate: 41g
    Fiber: 0.6g
    Sodium: 228mg
    Cholesterol: 173mg
_______________________________________

TAKE TWO
By Walt Mills

A Little Outrage is in Order

In last Sunday’s sermon, I heard the story of Erin Brockovich and
Pacific Gas and Electric, a David versus Goliath tale I had somehow
missed when it was a popular movie almost 15 years ago. It’s the story
of a young mother who takes on a huge utility company that is putting
dangerous chemicals into the groundwater and denying it. Brockovich was
able to convince a judge the company had lied and made them pay the
largest settlement in history.

While the pastor was tying together the stories of Queen Esther saving
the Jews in Persia, Rosa Parks refusing to give up her seat on a bus to
a white man and Erin Brockovich fighting one of the most powerful
companies in the country, I was thinking about my phone bill.

The other day my wife handed me the phone bill and asked me to figure
out why it had gone up so much from the month before. I doubt I have
looked at a phone bill in the past decade, and so it was somewhat
baffling at first. I studied it for a while and then put it away. It was
like reading the long and tedious agreements they want you to okay every
time you try to download something from the internet.

The next morning I gave it another shot. If it had been three or four
dollars I probably wouldn’t have bothered, but it was about three times
that much. I think the obscurity of these kinds of bills is there for a
reason. They hope you will give up in frustration before you can figure
out what they are doing to you. Like long waits and unhelpful recorded
menu choices when you try to speak to a real customer service person,
it’s not to drive you crazy, it’s to drive you away. When I did finally
reach someone on the phone, she inadvertently confirmed my suspicions.

Over the past ten years the long distance company had slowly added
additional unrecognizable fees to the bill, too incrementally to cause
me or my wife to notice. But this month the fees had been posted twice,
on the first and the last day of the month. “If that hadn’t happened,
you never even would have noticed,” she said cheerily and offered to cut
my future monthly charges by 60 per cent. I cancelled my long distance.

This legal scam only cost me a $100 a year, but it is everywhere. On
Monday, American Express was fined $113 million for deceiving their
customers. The libor, the rate that determines how much we pay for
mortgages and credit cards, was manipulated by banks in London for their
own benefit, effecting millions of people worldwide. Do they teach a
course these days in business schools on how to rip off your customers?
Are we just marks for the big cons of public utilities and multinational
corporations?

I realize this is not Rosa Parks igniting the Montgomery bus boycott.
This is $10 a month here and $10 there. But if you are that elderly
couple down the street trying to live on social security, it’s a pity.
This business model based on deception and obfuscation reminds me of a
corrupt banana republic not America. A little outrage is in order. Stand
up like Erin or stubbornly refuse to move like Rosa. We’re little
people, but we can make a difference.

Read more of Walt's writing at his blog:
http://americanimpressionist.wordpress.com/

(The above column is copyright © 2012 by Walter Mills. All rights
reserved worldwide. To contact Walt, address your emails to
awmi-@verizon.net ).
_______________________________________

Link of the Day:

Nerdy Day Trips lists thousands of well-known and obscure locations
worldwide just waiting to be explored. Don't let the name fool you -
there is something here for everyone. And if you have a favorite
location that isn't on the map, add it for everyone else to enjoy.

Note: The site defaults to showing locations in Britain. Type your town
name into the search bar in the upper right corner to see items near
you.

http://www.nerdydaytrips.com/

from Wendy
_______________________________________

Off The Shelf

Have you tried a new product lately? Want to share your opinion with
others? This is your chance to review new grocery items. Name the
product. Say what it is. We ask that you be specific about the qualities
you like or dislike without getting “long-winded.” We also ask you to
mention your city and state (or country) because all new products aren’t
available everywhere and some are just in test markets. Please, no
direct marketing items.

Put OTS or Off The Shelf in the subject line and send to
rrow-@gmail.com
___________________

Just a warning about a product I tried for the first time last week.
Lysol No Mess Automatic Toilet Bowl Cleaner. I've always used Clorox
tablets in the tank, but these cleaners hook over the bowl. 8 in a
package and cheaper than Clorox tablets...or so I thought. The scents
appealed to me so I bought a package. I should have known better.
Within a few days the product fell off the bowl and into the toilet and
was inadvertently flushed...and got stuck. It's true we were
considering replacing the toilet with a high rise one...so instead of
calling a plumber in to dislodge the product, we called one in to
install the new toilet. So much for trying a cheaper product!

Car-@optonline.net
_______________________________________

Do You Remember?

A World Of Our Own
The Seekers 1965
Words and Music by Tom Springfield

Close the door, light the light, we're stayin' home tonight
Far away from the bustle and the bright city lights
Let them all fade away, just leave us alone
And we'll live in a world of our own

CHORUS
We'll build a world of our own that no one else can share
All our sorrows we'll leave far behind us there
And I know you will find there'll be peace of mind
When we live in a world of our own

Oh my love, oh my love, I've cried for you so much
Lonely nights without sleeping while I longed for your touch
Now your lips can't evade the heartache I've known
Come with me to a world of our own

CHORUS

<instrumental interlude>

CHORUS

And I know you will find there'll be peace of mind
When we live in a world of our own
_______________________________________

rrow-@gmail.com    Use “GNR” and the title of your recipe as the
be able to use your recipe!