Welcome Guest!
 RECIPE DU JOUR
RDJ-- GNR, 10-05-10  RDJ
 Oct 06, 2012 06:12 PDT

_______________________________________
Volume 15     Number 188
US Library of Congress ISSN: 1530-3292

_______________________________________

It’s Good Neighbor Recipes Friday!!

Welcome to our Good Neighbor Recipes edition of Recipe du Jour! On
Fridays we turn over the recipe presentation to you guys to share and
showcase your favorite recipes with the RDJ neighbors. If you have any
questions about any of the recipes offered today, write an email to the
address given with that specific recipe. If you wish to submit your own
favorite, guidelines are at the end of this mailing. And don’t forget to
forward this mailing to all your friends!

Guidelines for submitting recipes are at the end of this mailing.

Table of Contents:

Skillet Beef and Cabbage
Featherlight Corn Muffins
Porcupine Meatballs
Pork Chops w/Sherry Vinegar Sauce
Alaska Salmon Bake with Pecan Crunch Coating
Get Well Soon Soup
Maple Sauteed Apples
Butternut Squash Soup

and don’t forget that our sister ezine, Dessert du Jour, is featuring
Good Neighbor Desserts this and every Friday. To subscribe, address a
blank email to
dessert-s-@topica.com

For metric conversion, try
http://www.onlineconversion.com/cooking_volume.htm
_______________________________________

Skillet Beef and Cabbage

1 head cabbage, about 1 1/2 pounds
salt
1 onion, sliced
1/4 cup butter
dash pepper
thinly sliced roast beef

Cut cabbage in chunks; wash and dry. Chop cabbage; transfer to a
saucepan and cover with salted water. Cook until just tender. Drain
cabbage. Melt 3 tablespoons butter in skillet; sauté onion and drained
cabbage until tender.

In another skillet, sauté beef in remaining butter until hot. Place meat
on a serving platter; top with cabbage mixture then drizzle with meat
drippings. Serves 4.

Sue   Cookinc-@aol.com
_______________________________________

This recipe is from a Gale Gand cookbook. Nothing like corn muffins with
soups or stews. mmm-good. Lisa B. kaits-@gmail.com

FEATHERLIGHT CORN MUFFINS

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs
1/4 cup milk
8 Tbsp (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted

Heat oven to 350F. Butter and flour 8 muffin cups or line with paper
liners. Sift dry ingredients together. Whisk the eggs and milk together
in a large bowl. Add 1/3 of dry ingredients to the egg mixture, then 1/3
of the melted butter; stir gently just until incorporated. Repeat with
remaining dry ingredients and melted butter, being careful not to
overmix. (There may be a little flour not mixed in at the end, that's
fine.) Using an ice cream scoop or large spoon, fill muffin cups 1/2
full. Bake until risen, light golden brown, and firm to the touch, about
15 minutes. Let cool at least 6 or 7 minutes in the pan. Makes 8 corn
muffins.
_______________________________________

This dish goes great with mashed potatoes and peas. Easy to do and very
filling. lou3-@webtv.net

Porcupine Meatballs

1 1/2 lbs. ground beef, I use ground chuck
1/2 cup uncooked regular rice
2/3 cup milk
1 tablespoon instant minced onion, but I use 1 medium onion, chopped
finely
1 1/2 teaspoon salt, we I less than that
1/4 teaspoon pepper, I use more
2 tsp. garlic powder
1 10 1/2 oz., can condensed tomato soup
3/4 cup water

Combine beef, rice, milk, onion, salt and pepper. Drop rounded
tablespoonfuls of mixture into shallow baking pa, 13x9x2". Combine soup
and water. Pour over meat. Cover pan tightly with foil. Bake at 350F for
1 hour. Makes 6 to 8 servings

Note: I make this into balls using a tablespoon. I sometimes use Cream
of Onion soup in place of the Tomato.
_______________________________________

I got this recipe from a Wolfgang Puck e-zine. I didn't have sherry wine
vinegar so I subbed rice wine vinegar and it was great. My somewhat
fussy husband loved it! Don't leave out the tomatoes cause it says "for
garnish." They really do add something to the finished dish. I served
this with bowtie pasta but any starch would go well with this. Enjoy!
Susan sbw-@aol.com

PORK CHOPS WITH SHERRY VINEGAR SAUCE
Serves 4

4 boneless center-cut pork chops, each about 1-1/2 inches thick
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon peanut oil or vegetable oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
7 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
3 tablespoons dry sherry
1 cup organic chicken broth
1 tablespoon store-bought tomato-based barbecue sauce
1-1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 small Roma (plum) tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and diced, for garnish
1 teaspoon minced fresh chives

Preheat the oven to 425F.
Pat the pork chops dry with paper towels. Season both sides of the chops
with salt and pepper.
Heat a heavy ovenproof saute pan large enough to hold the 4 chops over
high heat. When the pan is hot, add the oil and 1 tablespoon of the
butter and swirl the pan to coat its bottom evenly. Add the pork chops
and sear their undersides until nicely caramelized to a golden brown
color, about 2 to 3 minutes. Turn the chops over and sear for 1 minute
longer.
Transfer the pan with the pork chops to the oven and continue cooking
until the meat is cooked through but still juicy and very slightly pink
in the center, about 10 to 12 minutes.
Remove the pan from the oven. Transfer the pork chops to a plate,
loosely cover with aluminum foil, and leave to rest while you make the
sauce.
Carefully pour off excess fat from the pan. Return the pan to the
stovetop over medium-high heat. Carefully pour in the sherry wine
vinegar and sherry and stir and scrape with a wooden spoon to deglaze
the pan deposits. Stir in the broth and barbecue sauce and bring to a
boil. Reduce the heat to maintain a brisk simmer and continue cooking
until the liquid has thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon, 5 to
7 minutes. Briskly whisk in the Dijon mustard and the remaining 1
tablespoon butter.
Transfer the pork chops to individual heated serving plates. Quickly
whisk the juices that have collected in the plate into the sauce. Spoon
the sauce over and around the chops and garnish with chopped tomato and
chives. Serve immediately.
_______________________________________

I found this recipe at my local Safeway Food store and have prepared it
many times to my guests and my delight. Questions ... sharo-@q.com

Alaska Salmon Bake with Pecan Crunch Coating

3     tablespoons Dijon mustard
3     tablespoons butter -- melted
5     teaspoons honey
1/2   cup fresh bread crumbs
1/2   cup pecans -- finely ground
3     teaspoons fresh parsley -- finely chopped
6     fillets salmon -- (4 ounce each)
         salt and pepper -- to taste
6     lemon wedges

Preheat the oven to 400F. In a small bowl, mix together the mustard,
butter, and honey.

In another bowl, mix together the bread crumbs, pecans, and parsley.

Season each salmon fillet with salt and pepper. Place on a lightly
greased baking sheet. Brush with mustard-honey mixture. Cover the top of
each fillet with bread crumb mixture.

Bake for 10 minutes per inch of thickness, measured at thickest part, or
until salmon just flakes when tested with a fork. Serve garnished with
lemon wedges.
_______________________________________

I just adore the Beekman Boys -- they are always hilarious and their
recipes always divine. They developed this recipe for Farmer John after
he had his hip replaced. Their show is on The Cooking Channel on
Thursday nights -- be aware they are always a little over-the-top!
dsi-@aol.com

Get Well Soon Soup
.
"Turnip soup is known to stimulate the appetite, and studies have shown
that chicken soup can help speed up the recovery process. Why not blend
the two? With a little garlic and onions thrown in for their natural
anti-microbial powers, this delicious soup will have you feeling better
even if you’re not under-the-weather."

1 pound chicken parts
1 whole chicken, thoroughly rinsed
1 carrot, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 parsnip, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 stalks celery, including leafy tops, cut into 3-inch pieces
2 cloves of garlic, peeled
1 large whole onion, unpeeled (find one with a firm, golden-brown peel)
4 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoon olive oil
2 pounds of turnips, peeled and cut into a 1/2-inch dice
1/2 cup rice, arborio
1 teaspoon of whole peppercorns
1 bunch of dill, cleaned and tied with a string
salt and pepper
parmesan

Pour 12 cups of cold water into a large stockpot, and throw in the
chicken parts, onion, garlic, carrots, parsnip, and celery. Bring to a
boil. While water is heating, rub the inside of the whole chicken with
salt.

Add the chicken to the pot, cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 30
minutes. Test chicken with a fork to see if it’s tender and fully
cooked; then remove it from the pot, and set aside on a large platter.
Leave chicken parts in the pot.

Add onion, salt, and pepper. Let soup simmer for 1 hour and 15 minutes.

When chicken cools, remove skin and bones and cut into bite-sized
pieces. Set aside.

Strain the soup, and discard everything solid

Melt the butter and oil in a large saucepan and bring to a froth. Toss
in the turnips and saute til brown but still firm, about 3 minutes.

Add turnips and chicken pieces to the broth

Stir in the rice and cook, covered, over medium heat for about 15
minutes.

Drop in the dill for one minute before serving and then remove. Add salt
and pepper to taste.

Garnish: minced parsley and 3/4 cup fresh grated parmesan.
_______________________________________

These are wonderful with pork chops or a pork roast. But would also be
good for a warm apple ice cream sundae. yum! Lisa B.
kaits-@gmail.com

MAPLE SAUTEED APPLES

4 Granny Smith apples, cored, peeled, and sliced
3 Tbsp butter
1/4 cup maple syrup
pinch ground cinnamon

In a large nonstick skillet, cook the apples in 3 tablespoons of butter
over medium-high, heat, stirring, until soft. Add the maple syrup and a
pinch of cinnamon; cook until glazed, about 5 minutes. Makes 4 servings.
_______________________________________

This is a wonderful fall soup that always gets raves! Questions?
contact west-@aol.com

Butternut Squash Soup

2 medium butternut squash
8 Tbsp. butter
2 leaks
2 - 3 10 oz cans of chicken broth.
Sprigs of fresh sage to garnish each bowl
1/4 cup of maple syrup
salt to taste
1/4 cup more or less heavy cream

Prick the skin of a butternut squash and roast in a pan with small
amount of water until well-cooked...just before skin begins to burn.

Allow to cool slightly, slice in half and remove seeds. Scoop out flesh
and reserve in a bowl.

Dice the white ends only of 2 leeks, and cook gently in 8 Tbsp. butter.
When leeks are soft, add enough flour to make a paste (roux). Gradually
stir in chicken broth, stirring constantly. When the consistency of
cream is reached, stir in the squash. Soup will be thick. Add more
broth if necessary. Process in manageable batches in a blender, using
"puree" setting. Return to pan and heat. Stir in maple syrup and test
for salt (Canned chicken broth is fairly salty) Just before serving,
stir in heavy cream.
_______________________________________
_______________________________________

_______________________________________

rrow-@gmail.com    Use “GNR” and the title of your recipe as the
be able to use your recipe!

to any and all family and friends.

only.

mailto:rdj-sub-@topica.com

resubscribe from your new address.

mailto:rdj-unsu-@topica.com

Recipe du Jour is strictly an opt-in service. We do not sell, loan, or
give our subscribers’ addresses to anyone for any reason. Our features
are intended as entertainment only.

.