Welcome Guest!
 RECIPE DU JOUR
RDJ-- Slow Cooked Braised Pork, 10-08-12  RDJ
 Oct 08, 2012 21:25 PDT

_______________________________________
Volume 15      Number 190
US Library of Congress ISSN: 1530-3292

_______________________________________

Slow Cooked Braised Pork with Lemon and Sage

3 pounds boned pork shoulder roast, fat trimmed
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons fresh-ground pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
5 fresh sage leaves
3 1/2 cups whole milk
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel

Rinse pork and pat dry. In a small bowl, mix flour, salt, and pepper;
sprinkle mixture over pork.
Pour oil into a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over medium-high heat; add
pork and turn to brown well on all sides, about 15 minutes. Transfer
pork and any juices to a slow-cooker (at least 5 qt.).

Let pan cool slightly, then add garlic and sage and stir over medium-low
heat until garlic turns golden, about 1 minute. Add to the slow-cooker,
along with milk and lemon peel.

Cover and cook on high until pork is tender when pierced and sauce is
golden brown and reduced by about half, 7 to 8 hours; about 3 hours
before pork is done, uncover the crock to let the pan juices reduce and
thicken.

Transfer pork to a rimmed board and slice. Serve meat with sauce on the
side. Makes 6 servings.

Nutritional Information
Amount per serving
    Calories: 491
    Calories from fat: 49%
    Protein: 49g
    Fat: 27g
    Saturated fat: 9.7g
    Carbohydrate: 9.8g
    Fiber: 0.3g
    Sodium: N/A
    Cholesterol: 172mg
_______________________________________

Rich's Note:   The Bands

Molly would have loved it, I think. She played flute in Tallwood High
School’s marching band. Susan and I now live across the street from
Loudoun Valley High School. Most afternoons for the last month or so
we’ve heard the guys running plays and such on the practice field.
Saturday the school hosted a marching band competition.

I had the day off. The weather was just about perfect. When Susan and I
returned from our morning errands in nearby Leesburg the drums were in
full and rapid beat. The horns blared. Flags and pennants spun under the
oh so bright blue sky. One band stood out for Indian rhythms blended
with drawn out brass notes. I really liked it. Whatever category they
were in, I was sure they would win.

I sat out on the balcony, barely able to see over the small hillock to
where they practiced, only catching glimpses of bright tunics, feathery
caps, and white drums. At one point I called Molly, but the phone wasn’t
good enough for her to hear what I heard, not enough to race the blood
across the miles to snowy Minnesota. But my own blood raced, remembering
past football games and competitions and watching my daughter march not
so many years ago.

It was a good day.

Rich can be reached at rrow-@gmail.com
_______________________________________

Link of the Day:

I dare you to feel anything but joy after tuning in to this live puppy
cam! You can watch these six baby pit bulls and their mother live 24/7
until October 24th.

Hope the Pit Bull was rescued by the South Los Angeles Shelter and gave
birth to six healthy male puppies! Now, you can watch them live on
YouTube. Careful: once you start you won't want to stop. Puppies sleep a
lot so just check back from time to time.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePetCollective/featured?v=voZfAtqTAGc&feature=plcp

from Wendy
_______________________________________

Do You Remember?

You Were On My Mind
WE FIVE 1965
Sylvia Fricker

When I woke up this morning
You were on my mind
And you were on my mind
I got troubles, whoa-oh
I got worries, whoa-oh
I got wounds to bind

So I went to the corner
Just to ease my pains
Yeah, just to ease my pains
I got troubles, whoa-oh
I got worries, whoa-oh
I came home again

When I woke up this morning
You were on my mi-i-i-ind and
You were on my mind
I got troubles, whoa-oh
I got worries, whoa-oh
I got wounds to bind

And I got a feelin'
Down in my sho-oo-oo-oes, said
Way down in my sho-oo-oes
Yeah, I got to ramble, whoa-oh
I got to move on, whoa-oh
I got to walk away my blues

When I woke up this morning
You were on my mind
You were on my mind
I got troubles, whoa-oh
I got worries, whoa-oh
I got wounds to bind
_______________________________________
_______________________________________

rrow-@gmail.com    Use “GNR” and the title of your recipe as the
be able to use your recipe!

to any and all family and friends.

only.

mailto:rdj-sub-@topica.com

resubscribe from your new address.

mailto:rdj-unsu-@topica.com

features are intended as entertainment only.

.