Welcome Guest!
 RECIPE DU JOUR
RDJ-- Crab and Broccoli Chowder, 10-09-12  RDJ
 Oct 09, 2012 06:36 PDT

_______________________________________
Volume 15      Number 191
US Library of Congress ISSN: 1530-3292

_______________________________________

Crab and Broccoli Chowder

1 1/2 cups small broccoli florets (about 1 small head)
Cooking spray
1 cup chopped onion
2 cups cubed peeled red potato (about 3/4 pound)
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Dash of hot sauce
3 (10 1/2-ounce) cans low-salt chicken broth
5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
3/4 pound lump crabmeat, drained and shell pieces removed
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon sherry

Steam broccoli, covered, 2 minutes or until tender.

Place a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium heat until hot.
Add onion; sauté 4 minutes. Add potato and next 8 ingredients (potato
through broth); bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 30
minutes or until tender.

Place 3 cups potato mixture in a blender; process until smooth. Add
puree back to potato mixture in pan; stir well.

Place flour in a bowl. Gradually add milk; stir with a whisk until
blended. Add to potato mixture. Cook over medium heat until thick (about
10 minutes), stirring constantly. Stir in cheese. Add broccoli,
crabmeat, lemon juice, and sherry; cook until thoroughly heated. Makes 7
servings.

Nutritional Information
Amount per serving
    Calories: 208
    Calories from fat: 24%
    Fat: 5.5g
    Saturated fat: 2.9g
    Monounsaturated fat: 1.4g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
    Protein: 17.8g
    Carbohydrate: 21.6g
    Fiber: 2.3g
    Cholesterol: 64mg
    Iron: 1.5mg
    Sodium: 379mg
    Calcium: 249mg
_______________________________________

TAKE TWO
By Walt Mills

The Dance

Early yesterday morning my wife came downstairs and let the cats out the
back door. In a few minutes our wise old female cat, Pookie, who only
sleeps in the highest, safest places, and then jumps down to startle me,
came back indoors with a present. She dropped a small dead field mouse
on the kitchen floor at my wife’s feet.

I was in the study with the computer, finding out how the Yankees had
done against the Orioles, when I heard her calling me vigorously from
the other side of the house. I went in to find Pookie sitting proudly
near the little mouse while my wife praised her efficiency and skill. Me
she told to get rid of the remains. I got a paper towel and bent down to
retrieve the dead mouse. But it turned out the mouse was only playing
dead. Next thing I knew I was groping thin air and feeling a tickling up
around my knee.

That little dead mouse had run up the inside of my pajama leg and must
have been clinging on for dear life. Next thing I was hopping around the
kitchen shaking my leg in a kind of frantic dance while my wife stared
at me in amazement. After a dozen hard shakes, the mouse dislodged from
its perch and dropped to the floor, playing dead once again.

This time I quick grabbed its tail and carried it out in the dark yard,
dropping it in the grass next to the garden. Then I went back in and had
a cup of strong coffee. It made for a good story when my daughters came
down for breakfast.

Read more of Walt's writing at his blog:
http://americanimpressionist.wordpress.com/

(The above column is copyright © 2012 by Walter Mills. All rights
reserved worldwide. To contact Walt, address your emails to
awmi-@verizon.net ).
_______________________________________

Link of the Day:

www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=E8nJhG1xE5o

Really wonderful job of morphing Queen Elizabeth.

from Wanda
_______________________________________

Off The Shelf

Have you tried a new product lately? Want to share your opinion with
others? This is your chance to review new grocery items. Name the
product. Say what it is. We ask that you be specific about the qualities
you like or dislike without getting “long-winded.” We also ask you to
mention your city and state (or country) because all new products aren’t
available everywhere and some are just in test markets. Please, no
direct marketing items.

Put OTS or Off The Shelf in the subject line and send to
rrow-@gmail.com
___________________

Hi Rich,
Your comments about Swiffer really touched a nerve with me. I have had a
Clorox Ready Mop for several years now and the supplies for it have gone
off the shelf literally. All you can buy in the warehouse stores or
retail outlets are Swiffer products. And although I do have a Swiffer
Sweeper, for wet mopping, I like the Clorox product much better so I
contacted them about where to buy their products. I live in a suburb
just north of Phila. and what they told me was that there is one K-Mart
in Southwest Phila that stocks the product. Like I am going to travel
clear across town just to buy supplies to mop the floor! Talk about
frustrating! Anyway I was able to find the pads & cleaners on line at
Amazon. Of course, this means I must plan ahead and can not ever allow
myself to run out of them. Seems like Swiffer rules! Thanks for all you
do and just wanted you to know it’s nice to have a place to vent!

from Jean
_______________________________________

Do You Remember?

YOU'VE GOT YOUR TROUBLES
Fortunes 1965

I see that worried look upon your face,
You've got your troubles, I got mine.
She's found somebody else to take your place;
You've got your troubles, I got mine.

I too have lost my love today,
All of my dreams have flown away.
Now just like you I sit and wonder why;
You've got your troubles, I got mine.

You need some sympathy, well so do I,
You've got your troubles, I got mine.
She used to love me, that I know,
And it don't seem so long ago
That we were walking, that we were talking
The way that lovers do.
And so forgive me if I seem unkind,
You've got your troubles, I got mine.

(Counter: And it must seem to you, my friend
That I ain't got no pity for you,
Well, that ain't true,
You see I love that little girl, little girl, little girl.)

I'd help another place, another time,
You've got your troubles, I got mine.
You've got your troubles, I got mine.
You've got your troubles, I got mine.