Welcome Guest!
 RECIPE DU JOUR
RDJ-- Spanish Style Shrimp, 10-25-12  RDJ
 Oct 25, 2012 06:11 PDT

_______________________________________
Volume 15      Number 205
US Library of Congress ISSN: 1530-3292

_______________________________________

SURPRISE!!

We have a surprise visit from Tim today.

Remember. Recipe du Jour is made possible only by donations from good
neighbors like you. If you enjoy receiving RDJ, please support us by
sending a check payable to "Richard Rowand" for any amount to: Richard
Rowand, PO Box 3385, Leesburg, VA 20177. Or use PAYPAL (
http://www.paypal.com ) and donate (via your account or their secure
credit card site) directly thru Rich's email address (
ri-@recipedujour.com ). Thank you.
_______________________________________

Spanish Style Shrimp with Garlic

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 bay leaf
1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
4 lemon wedges

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add pepper,
garlic, and bay leaf; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Increase heat
to medium-high. Add shrimp; sauté until shrimp have pink or orange
markings and white, opaque flesh (about 4 minutes). Remove from heat.
Sprinkle with salt. Discard bay leaf. Sprinkle with parsley, and serve
with lemon wedges. Makes 4 servings.

Nutritional Information
Amount per serving
    Calories: 161
    Calories from fat: 31%
    Fat: 5.5g
    Saturated fat: 0.9g
    Monounsaturated fat: 3g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
    Protein: 23.4g
    Carbohydrate: 3.2g
    Fiber: 0.2g
    Cholesterol: 172mg
    Iron: 2.9mg
    Sodium: 317mg
    Calcium: 70mg
_______________________________________

Simply Tim: "Zen Kind of Day"

Wikipedia tells us the word Zen "is derived from the Japanese
pronunciation of the Middle Chinese word Dzyen (Modern Mandarin: Chán),
which in turn is derived from the Sanskrit word dhy?na, which can be
approximately translated as "absorption" or "meditative state". For me,
if there is such a thing as Zen, it's encompassed in the act of
painting.
Especially the "absorption" part.

Like today, when I got up around 3 AM (which is pretty much my norm),
although the previous couple of days I had hopped out of bed around 9 AM
because I had had some late-sleeping company. Since my friend, Walt,
would be driving down from Pennsylvania later this afternoon -- an
8-hour trip -- I figured I'd do a quick cleanup. After a while, the
cleanup was done and I decided to go down to my basement studio to spend
a couple hours painting.

That's when the Zen thingy kicked in and I floated off into an intense
concentration that was broken only by the need for a pee-break. My
couple of hours of absorption was over. But, when I climbed the steps
and pushed into the kitchen upstairs, everything was dark. How could
that be? I distinctly remembered going down to my basement and it had
been mid-morning daylight. Now, outdoors was an ominous pitch black. How
long had I been absorbed in my "meditative state"? The clock on the wall
and the sulky darkness outside suggested it was 6 PM.

My mind fell apart. I could not believe I had painted for 13 hours. I
could not comprehend that it was 6 PM, or that it was so very, very dark
outside my windows. I figured there had to be an eclipse going on out
there -- hadn't I recently heard something in the news about an upcoming
eclipse? I stepped outside and shielded my eyes. Heavy clouds obscured
my view. I could not see the sky; everything was hushed and dark and
silent as a stone. My brain had ascended beyond Zen and had quit working
entirely.

I was scared.

Worried that Walt had yet to arrive, I called Walt's house. His wife,
Andrea, told me Walt had just left. Wow, he had left after dinner and
was running late! I did the math -- Walt would be arriving somewhere
around 3 AM. I took a shower, and when I walked into the living room --
it was daylight outside. I *had* witnessed an eclipse! I went back down
to my studio and contemplated Armageddon and the terror that eclipses
must have caused through the ages.

A clock on a tool shelf flashed 9 AM. But I didn't notice. Instead, I
was thinking about how Armageddon must be like walking from a bright
basement studio with a lingering hint of turpentine and linseed oil, and
stepping, eyes wide open into an eclipse.
_______________________________________

Food For Thought

We’re interested in knowing what you read, think about, watch, and
listen to. This is a chance to share your thoughts with thousands of
Recipe du Jour readers, the same Good Neighbors who have shared their
favorite recipes with you over the years. Think of it as a conversation
with a friend over the backyard fence about the book you just finished,
the story you can’t forget, your favorite movie or television episode or
whatever.

Send your submissions to rrow-@gmail.com   with Food For Thought as
the subject. If you wish to include your email address, please do. Keep
your comments to under two hundred words, but don’t feel obligated to
write more than a few sentences. We also ask that you steer clear of
religion, politics, and products or services that you sell.

Depending on the number of submissions received, your offering might not
be posted until a later issue. Feedback is welcomed and encouraged.
Enjoy.
___________________

I thought I had read all of Debbie Macomber's books but, recently, a
friend loaned me a book she picked up at a used book sale called Best
Friends. Jillian and Lesley are unlikely best friends...Jillian being
from a wealthy family, Lesley from a struggling one. Their story is told
through letters and notes they send to each other...this being in the
50s-60s-70s, long before email. It is, also, a trip down history lane as
Macomber weaves the decades' events into their letters. Delightful.

For Macomber fans: on January 19th, Hallmark Channel is showing a movie
called Cedar Cove, starring Andie McDowell as Judge Olivia. The movie is
a precursor to a Cedar Cove series they are starting in the spring.

Lenoir/GA.
_______________________________________

rrow-@gmail.com    Use “GNR” and the title of your recipe as the
be able to use your recipe!