Welcome Guest!
 RECIPE DU JOUR
RDJ-- GNR, 10-26-12  RDJ
 Oct 30, 2012 07:01 PST

_______________________________________
Volume 15     Number 206
US Library of Congress ISSN: 1530-3292

_______________________________________

It’s Good Neighbor Recipes Friday!!

Welcome to our Good Neighbor Recipes edition of Recipe du Jour! On
Fridays we turn over the recipe presentation to you guys to share and
showcase your favorite recipes with the RDJ neighbors. If you have any
questions about any of the recipes offered today, write an email to the
address given with that specific recipe. If you wish to submit your own
favorite, guidelines are at the end of this mailing. And don’t forget to
forward this mailing to all your friends!

Guidelines for submitting recipes are at the end of this mailing.

Table of Contents:

Chicken Spaghetti
Slow Cooker Beef Machaca
Cheesy Ravioli & Spinach Lasagna
"It's All Greek To Me" Tomato Salad
Universal Cream Soup Recipe
Stir-Fried Sweet Peppers with Tomatoes
Italian Sausage and Tortellini Soup
Beef and Macaroni Casserole

and don’t forget that our sister ezine, Dessert du Jour, is featuring
Good Neighbor Desserts this and every Friday. To subscribe, address a
blank email to
dessert-s-@topica.com

For metric conversion, try
http://www.onlineconversion.com/cooking_volume.htm
_______________________________________

FRANKENSTORM

The weather reports today seem dire with predictions of three events
converging to form some sort of superstorm that may impact the area in
which I live. Though we are not near the coast, the collision of a
tropical storm, a strong cold front, and frigid air shooting down from
Canada may disrupt our daily lives.

Usually when RDJ is late it’s my fault due to a rough work schedule
and/or sheer exhaustion. Should you not receive RDJ issues next week
it’s more likely due to power outages or my having to work extra hours
due to the storm. Susan got on a plane for Minnesota today to be with
Molly, who is having minor surgery. Luckily she’ll miss the coming storm
and whatever aftermath it brings.

Me? I went out and bought a steak for tonight in case the storm does hit
Monday. The memory of being without power for eleven days after
Hurricane Isabel in 2003 is still vivid and doesn’t seem like it was
that long ago.

Rich

Chicken Spaghetti

1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped green pepper
2 cloves garlic finely chopped
2 Tbsp oil
1 Tbsp chili powder
2 tsp. salt (to taste)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can tomato soup
1 4-oz. can sliced mushrooms
1 large fryer boiled and de boned
1 8-oz. package spaghetti
Grated cheese
chicken broth or water -- up to 2 cups

Sauté celery, onion, green pepper, and garlic in oil. Add seasonings,
soups and mushrooms. Simmer 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, cook spaghetti in chicken broth (from boiling the chicken) or
water until just tender. Mix the sauce, spaghetti, diced chicken, and 1
to 2 cups chicken broth or water.

Put in large (9" x 13") casserole and cover with grated cheese. Cover
with foil. Bake at 350F for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Uncover casserole for
last 15 minutes to allow cheese to brown slightly.

Sue Cookinc-@aol.com
_______________________________________

Machaca traditionally was a dish made by cowboys and ranchers involving
dehydrated beef, some chilis, and eaten with whatever was handy. This
version skips the dehydrated beef but uses all the traditional flavors
and can be eaten a thousand different ways. dsi-@aol.com

Weight Watchers Slow Cooker Beef Machaca
Serves 12

3 pound beef brisket or lean rump roast, trimmed of fat
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons Maggi sauce (a Latino seasoning) or 2 tbsp Worcestershire
sauce
4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 1/2 cups diced onion
1 cup red bell pepper, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 serrano chiles, stemmed, seeded, and minced
1/2 cup beef broth
1/2 14 oz. can diced tomatoes with juice
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

Season the beef with salt and pepper and place into the slow cooker. In
a medium bowl, whisk together the lime juice, beef broth, and Maggi.
Stir in the other ingredients and then pour over the beef.

Cook on low in the slow cooker for 8 hours. Then shred the beef using
two forks and serve. Let the shredded beef hang out in all the cooking
liquid/sauce for about 30 minutes before serving. Just keep the slow
cooker on low.
_______________________________________

Rich's Note:   The Innocent

If you like thrillers as much as I do, you’ll enjoy David Baldacci’s The
Innocent about a U. S. government hit man ordered to kill an American
woman. At first he supposes she is some sort of rogue agent or traitor,
but changes his mind at the last moment, refusing to carry out the
mission. His gut tells him something is wrong and he’s right.

As much as I like Baldacci’s writing, plots, and characters I almost
gave up reading his novels because it seemed he was joining a growing
group of thriller writers who depicted the U. S. government as our own
worst enemy. I’m not talking about just portraying some corrupt
government officials, but heavily implying that our entire government is
immoral and unethical. I’m not happy with that and I don’t think it’s
true at all. Are some people in high places corrupt, immoral, and/or
unethical? Probably. Human nature is human nature, yet it disturbs me
that it seems to have become somewhat chic and trendy to portray our
government in that way.
Baldacci gets away from that in The Innocent. He spins a good yarn,
keeping the reader guessing most of the way, and delivers a satisfying
novel.

BTW, I’m also getting tired of thrillers about Freemasonry and Knights
Templar. Enough is enough.

Rich can be reached at rrow-@gmail.com
_______________________________________

This recipe is a snap to put together. I serve a salad and toasted,
buttery garlic bread along side. mmm-good! Lisa B. kaits-@gmail.com

Cheesy Ravioli & Spinach Lasagna

1 - 15 oz ricotta cheese
1 - 10 oz pkg chopped, frozen spinach, thawed, squeezed dry
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 - 15 oz jar Alfredo pasta sauce
2 pkgs - 13 oz (each) frozen large cheese ravioli
2 cups shredded mozzarella (8 oz)

Preheat oven to 350F. Coat 2-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking
spray. Combine ricotta, spinach, and oregano; set aside. Spread 1/2 cup
Alfredo sauce in bottom of dish. Top with a single layer of ravioli,
half of the ricotta mixture, 2/3 cup mozzarella and 1/2 cup Alfredo
sauce. Continue layering with half of remaining ravioli, all of the
remaining ricotta mixture, and 2/3 cup mozzarella. Top with remaining
ravioli and Alfredo sauce; cover with foil. Bake 45 minutes. Uncover;
bake 18-20 minutes until browned and heated through, sprinkling with
remaining mozzarella during last 5 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before
serving. Makes 6 servings.
_______________________________________

I had to ask for this wonderful recipe when I attended a Greek Fest a
few years ago. It is a wonderful accompaniment to grilled chicken
(seasoned with Greek seasoning) and, my favorite, braised lamb shank.
Questions ... sharo-@q.com   BTW, please excuse the 'punny' name. I
named it so I take the full blame.

"It's All Greek To Me" Tomato Salad

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
salt and pepper -- to taste
1 pound tomatoes -- cut into 1 inch pieces (I quarter cherry or halve
grape tomatoes)
1/2 medium cucumber -- peeled and cut into 1/4 inch pieces (I use
English seedless and leave skin on)
1/2 small bell pepper -- thin strips (I use yellow or orange for color
but any color will do)
3/4 cup Greek olives -- pitted and chopped
1 1/2 cups feta cheese -- crumbled

Whisk oil, vinegar, lemon juice, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste
in small bowl.

Place tomatoes, cucumber, pepper, and olives in large bowl. Add
vinaigrette and toss until evenly coated. Gently toss in cheese and
adjust seasonings.

My notes: I toss all (except the cheese) together and allow to sit at
room temperature for 30 minutes for all the flavors to marry. When
ready to serve I then gently toss in the feta.
_______________________________________

“DANGER, WILL ROBINSON! DANGER!”

We’re still in fund raising mode at RDJ. Please consider sending a
donation.

_______________________________________

Here's a recipe that's useful in many different ways...originally from
Heloise.Questions? west-@aol.com

Universal Cream Soup Recipe

"Mock Cream Soup Mix” is a basic mix of dry ingredients that can be
stored in an airtight container, and then turned into any number of
different soups...

1-Cup nonfat dry powdered milk
1 Tbsp dried onion flakes
2 Tbsp cornstarch
2 Tbsp chicken bouillon powder
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 tsp. black pepper

Put the dry ingredient mix into a saucepan and add 2 cups cold water.
Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until soup thickens. Then,
add the main flavoring ingredient.... e.g. chopped cooked broccoli, or
diced chicken, or chopped sautéed mushrooms, or cooked chopped
asparagus, or diced shrimp and tomatoes...or whatever you can imagine!
Cook a little longer until blended and hot. If soup is too thin, add
one or two more Tbsp of dry milk powder. Too thick...add more water.
_______________________________________

Stir-Fried Sweet Peppers with Tomatoes

4 green peppers, coarsely chopped
1/3 cup olive oil
4 cloves garlic, sliced
3 large tomatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
1/2 tsp each salt and pepper

Cook green peppers in olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
Stir often 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Add garlic, cook 1
minute. Stir in tomatoes, salt and pepper, stirring often, 15 minutes or
until slightly thickened. Yield 4 servings.

rambli-@yahoo.com
_______________________________________

Italian Sausage and Tortellini Soup
(6 SERVINGS)

1 lb. sweet Italian sausage
1 C. chopped onion
2 large garlic cloves, sliced
5 C. beef broth
2 C. chopped tomatoes (I use the petite diced tomatoes)
1 8oz. can of tomato sauce
1 large zucchini, sliced
Celery (whatever amount you like)
1 large carrot, thinly sliced
1 medium sized green bell pepper, diced (I use red or yellow pepper)
½ C. dry red wine
2 Tbs. dried basil
2 tsp. dried oregano
1-10oz. pkg. of fresh cheese tortellini
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Saute Italian sausage in heavy Dutch oven over medium-high heat until
cooked through, crumbling with back of spoon, about 10 minutes. Using
slotted spoon, transfer sausage to large bowl. Pour off all but 1 Tbs.
drippings from Dutch oven. Add onion and garlic to Dutch oven and sauté
until translucent, about 5 minutes. Return sausage to Dutch oven. Add
stock, tomatoes, tomato sauce, zucchini, celery, carrot, bell pepper,
wine, basil, and oregano. Simmer until vegetables are tender, about 40
minutes. (Can be prepared 2 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring
to simmer before continuing.)

Add tortellini to soup and cook until tender, about 8 minutes. Season
soup to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle soup into bowls. Sprinkle
with Parmesan and serve.

Carol @ Sa-@triad.rr.com
_______________________________________

Beef and Macaroni Casserole

2 pounds ground beef
16 ounce package large elbow macaroni
1 large jar spaghetti sauce
1/4 onion, chopped
1/4 bell pepper, chopped
Cheddar cheese

Cook macaroni until done. Brown beef with onions and pepper. Add
spaghetti sauce to beef. Add macaroni to sauce mixture. Pour in oblong
pan top with cheese. Bake at 325F until cheese starts to brown. Serves
8.

Sue Cookinc-@aol.com
_______________________________________
_______________________________________

_______________________________________

rrow-@gmail.com    Use “GNR” and the title of your recipe as the
be able to use your recipe!

to any and all family and friends.

only.

mailto:rdj-sub-@topica.com

resubscribe from your new address.

mailto:rdj-unsu-@topica.com

Recipe du Jour is strictly an opt-in service. We do not sell, loan, or
give our subscribers’ addresses to anyone for any reason. Our features
are intended as entertainment only.

.