Welcome Guest!
 RECIPE DU JOUR
RDJ-- Brussels Sprouts and Rice Casserole, 02-08-12  RDJ
 Feb 08, 2012 20:16 PST

_______________________________________
Volume 15       Number 20
US Library of Congress ISSN: 1530-3292

_______________________________________

Brussels Sprouts and Rice Casserole

1 (10-ounce) package frozen Brussels sprouts
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon stick margarine
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
Cooking spray
1 cup cooked long-grain rice
1 ounce thinly sliced prosciutto or ham, cut into thin strips
1/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 375F. Combine the Brussels sprouts and water in a medium
saucepan, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.
Uncover sprouts, and cook 1 minute. Drain.

Melt margarine in a small saucepan over low heat; add flour, stirring
with a whisk. Gradually add milk to saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook 3
minutes over medium heat or until thick and bubbly, stirring constantly.
Stir in salt and pepper. Set aside.

Coat a 9-inch quiche or round baking dish with cooking spray. Pat rice
into bottom of dish; arrange Brussels sprouts, stem sides down, on top
of rice. Sprinkle Brussels sprouts with prosciutto; pour sauce over
prosciutto. Combine breadcrumbs and cheese; sprinkle over sauce. Bake at
375F for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Makes 6 servings.

Nutritional Information
Amount per serving
    Calories: 133
    Calories from fat: 26%
    Fat: 3.9g
    Saturated fat: 1.4g
    Monounsaturated fat: 1.5g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
    Protein: 6.6g
    Carbohydrate: 18.5g
    Fiber: 2.6g
    Cholesterol: 7mg
    Iron: 1.2mg
    Sodium: 280mg
    Calcium: 129mg
_______________________________________

Rich's Note:   Castle

I used to kind of enjoy the television show Castle. I liked the police
procedural part, the characters, and the interplay. What I didn't care
for was the cliffhanger season endings that were too quickly resolved on
the next season's opening episode. I especially was let down when Kate
was shot in the chest on the last show last year and was over the wound
and back to work before this season's first episode was half over. I
felt manipulated.

And I've enjoyed each show less and less as a result of said
manipulation. There aren't many shows Susan and I try to watch each
week. Castle is off that short list.

The Mentalist may be next because the "Red John" story arc should have
played itself out by now. It's become a cheap way to keep viewers hooked
and only intrudes on other episodes. I feel like the major television
networks are hastening their own demise.

Rich can be reached at ri-@recipedujour.com
______________________________________

Link of the Day:

If you enjoy a good quote, especially one that's inspiring, you'll like
World of Inspiration.

The basis behind this site is that a well-phrased encouragement can lift
your spirits and bring you back to what is important. You'll find
inspiring quotes pulled from a wide range of sources arranged by topic
or categories.

http://www.worldofinspiration.com/

from Wendy
_______________________________________

Do You Remember?

Let the Four Winds Blow
Fats Domino   1961
D. Bartholomew & A. Domino

I like the way you walk
I like the way you talk
Let me hold your hand
Try to understand
I want a girl like you
Tell my love is true
Don't be afraid
You've heard what I said

Let the four winds blow
Let it blow and a-blow
 From the east to the west
I love you the best
Let the four winds blow
Let it blow and a-blow
 From the east to the west
I love you the best

<INSTRUMENTAL INTERLUDE>

I like the way you walk
I like the way you talk
Let me hold your hand
Try to understand
I want a girl like you
Tell my love is true
Don't be afraid
You've heard what I said

Let the four winds blow
Let it blow and a-blow
 From the east to the west
I love you the best
Let the four winds blow
Let it blow and a-blow
 From the east to the west
I love you the best

<INSTRUMENTAL FADEOUT>
_______________________________________
_______________________________________

_______________________________________

ri-@recipedujour.com    Use “GNR” and the title of your recipe as the
be able to use your recipe!

The portions of this mailing designated as “Rich’s Note” are © Copyright
2012 by Richard Rowand. All rights reserved worldwide. Feel free to
forward this mailing, in its entirety, to any and all family and
friends.

only.

mailto:rdj-sub-@topica.com

resubscribe from your new address.