Welcome Guest!
 RECIPE DU JOUR
RDJ-- Barbecued Lime Shrimp and Corn, 04-16-12  RDJ
 Apr 16, 2012 15:57 PDT

_______________________________________
Volume 15      Number 70
US Library of Congress ISSN: 1530-3292

_______________________________________

Barbecued Lime Shrimp and Corn

1/3 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons honey
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 ears corn, each cut crosswise into 4 pieces
1 1/2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
4 cups cooked couscous or rice

Combine the first 9 ingredients then add corn and shrimp.

Place in foil oven bag. Place directly on hot coals (or in a 450F oven);
cook 10 minutes.

Serve over couscous or rice. Makes 4 servings.

Nutritional Information
Amount per serving
    Calories: 473
    Calories from fat: 7%
    Fat: 3.9g
    Saturated fat: 0.7g
    Monounsaturated fat: 0.6g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 1.5g
    Protein: 42.8g
    Carbohydrate: 66.7g
    Fiber: 4g
    Cholesterol: 259mg
    Iron: 5.3mg
    Sodium: 534mg
    Calcium: 115mg
_______________________________________

Rich's Note:   Mambo Sauce

The Chinese take-out place I use most has Cheese Rangoon that comes with
a delicious dipping sauce. I love that sauce. I finally asked the old
guy who runs the counter what it was, thinking I could find a recipe or
buy some at an Asian market. Well, the guy said it was Mambo Sauce,
which I'd never heard of. Told me it was sort of a sweet/sour sauce with
ketchup and a little bit of spiciness. I could tell he was being a bit
vague, but figured I'd be using Google to get the low-down.

Turns out Mambo Sauce (also known as Mumbo Sauce as well as other
variations) is pretty much a Washington, DC thing, probably starting as
a BBQ sauce for chicken wings, evolving into an all purpose sauce, and
adopted/adapted by Chinese take-out places in DC and surrounding areas.
Most of the recipes I found were more BBQ in nature and seemed to favor
a more tomato sauce or ketchup base than what I had enjoyed. There's
considerable debate online about what restaurant has the best Mambo
Sauce. There's even a band called Mambo Sauce.

I'm thinking the base of what I had was Duck Sauce, with just enough
ketchup or tomato sauce to give it depth, and maybe a touch of Asian
chili sauce for a bit of zing (possibly it was just some crushed red
pepper – we'll see). Guess who will be experimenting?

Rich can be reached at ri-@recipedujour.com

And Another Thing: The above was written late last week. Since then I
have purchased some duck sauce and (finally) started experimenting. My
first try was simply mixing 2 tbs duck sauce with 2 tsp ketchup. The
color was way too light, so I added another 2 tsp ketchup, mixed again,
and tried it. It tasted like duck sauce mixed with ketchup. More
research was called for.

So I found a the blog of a DC foodie. He presented a recipe for Mumbo
(you say Mumbo, I say Mambo) sauce. I made another store run: measured,
stirred, and simmered. WAY too sweet.

After sitting a few hours, the duck sauce/ketchup mixture tasted better;
but still wasn't what I was looking for.

Both experiments were dumped.

To be continued. . . .
_______________________________________

Link of the Day:

The Wonderful World of Early Photography

Photography is a part of our everyday lives. Just think about all the
times during the day you access some form of photography. We look at
photographs all the time when we visit the web – Facebook, Instagram,
desktop wallpaper. We see them when we go to store in advertisements,
magazines, book covers, etc. We watch television shows, music videos;
films that are moving pictures.

But where did it all start? What was early photography like? Well at
Neatorama, you can check out a whole page that looks back at the
wonderful world of early photography. Navigation is easy, because all
you have to do is scroll down and read. Most of the topics covered as
you scroll down also have links (they are in bold) that will take you to
more information about that subject. Just click the link to learn more.

The site starts with the camera obscura, then examines daguerreotypes,
portraits, how the word photography is coined, photo montages and more.
Some of the links go to wiki articles that have even more links that you
can check out to learn more.

What I really loved about this article was that they provide images of
each type that they discuss, so you can see what each development in
photography looked like, and then you can follow the links if any
specific part catches your attention!

What are you waiting for? Go check this article out and learn about
photography’s early days!

http://www.neatorama.com/2006/08/29/the-wonderful-world-of-early-photography/

from Caroline
_______________________________________

Simply Tim: "Plant Day"

To view today's Simply Tim feature, go to his blog spot:

http://simplytim.wordpress.com/2012/04/16/plant-day/
_______________________________________

Do You Remember?

Mambo Italiano
Rosemary Clooney 1954
written by Bob Merrill

A girl went back to Napoli
Because she missed the scenery
The native dances and the charming songs
But wait a minute, something's wrong
Hey, mambo! Mambo italiano!
Hey, mambo! Mambo italiano
Go, go, go you mixed up sicialiano
All you calabraise-a do the mambo like a crazy with a
Hey mambo, don't wanna tarantella
Hey mambo, no more a mozzarella
Hey mambo! Mambo italiano!
Try an enchilada with da fish a bac a lab and then a
Hey goombah, I love a how you dance a rhumbah
But take a some advice paisano
Learn how to mambo
If you gonna be a square
You ain't a gonna go nowhere
Hey mambo! mambo italiano!
Hey mambo! mambo italiano!
Go, go, Joe, shake like a Giovanno
Hello kess-a-deetch-a you getta happy in the feets a
When you mambo italiano
Shake-a Baby shake-a cause i love a when you take a me
Mama say "stop-a or I'm gonna go to papa"
And a hey ja drool you don't a have to go to school
Just make-a wid da beat bambino
It's a like a vino
Kid you good a lookin' but you don't a-know what's cookin' till you
Hey mambo, Mambo italiano
Hey mambo, Mambo italiano
Ho, ho, ho, you mixed up Siciliano
it's a so delish a ev'rybody come copisha
How to mambo italianoooooo!
'Ats nice!
UNH!
_______________________________________
_______________________________________

ri-@recipedujour.com   Use “GNR” and the title of your recipe as the
be able to use your recipe!

to any and all family and friends.

only.

mailto:rdj-sub-@topica.com

resubscribe from your new address.

mailto:rdj-unsu-@topica.com

features are intended as entertainment only.

.