Welcome Guest!
 RECIPE DU JOUR
RDJ-- GNR, 05-11-12  RDJ
 May 11, 2012 13:20 PDT

_______________________________________
Volume 15     Number 92
US Library of Congress ISSN: 1530-3292

_______________________________________

It’s Good Neighbor Recipes Friday!!

Welcome to our Good Neighbor Recipes edition of Recipe du Jour! On
Fridays we turn over the recipe presentation to you guys to share and
showcase your favorite recipes with the RDJ neighbors. If you have any
questions about any of the recipes offered today, write an email to the
address given with that specific recipe. If you wish to submit your own
favorite, guidelines are at the end of this mailing. And don’t forget to
forward this mailing to all your friends!

Guidelines for submitting recipes are at the end of this mailing.

Table of Contents:

Maryland Cream of Crab Soup
Doris' Spaghetti Salad
Ham w/Red Eye Gravy
Texas Breakfast Casserole
Spinach and Feta Pita Bake

and don’t forget that our sister ezine, Dessert du Jour, is featuring
Good Neighbor Desserts this and every Friday. To subscribe, address a
blank email to
dessert-s-@topica.com

For metric conversion, try
http://www.onlineconversion.com/cooking_volume.htm
_______________________________________

Maryland Cream Of Crab Soup

1 lb. Crab meat
1 Tsp. Celery salt
1 Vegetable bouillon cube
1/8 Tsp. Pepper
1 cup boiling water
1/4 c. Chopped onion
1/4 c. Margarine or butter
1 qt Milk
2 Tbs. Flour

Remove cartilage from crab meat. Dissolve bouillon cube in the boiling
water. In a 4-quart saucepan, cook onion in margarine or butter until
tender. Blend in flour and seasonings. Add milk and bouillon gradually
and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens
enough to coat spoon. Add crab meat; heat, but do not boil. Garnish with
parsley before serving.

Sue Cookinc-@aol.com
_______________________________________

Another family favorite for summer gatherings.
faeriego-@yahoo.com

Doris' Spaghetti Salad

1 box spaghetti
1 small bottle Italian Salad Dressing or vinaigrette of your choice
2 tomatoes finely diced
1 cucumber, seeded and finely diced
1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons McCormick's Salad Sensations

Break Spaghetti into thirds and cook to just al dente in large pot of
boiling water. Drain and rinse well with cool water. Place in large
serving bowl, add veggies and salad dressing. Toss well. Sprinkle
liberally with Salad Sensations and toss again. Chill for at least an
hour.
_______________________________________

Rich's Note:   The Collector

I come from a collecting family. My grandmother collected salt & pepper
shaker. My mother collects anything to do with clowns. My favorite uncle
collects eye cups.

When I was young I collected comic books. Somewhere along the way I
switched to science fiction books, which flowed with the years, becoming
any genre of books that took my fancy. I collected pennies at one time
and, later, baseball cards.

Now I've become specialized, if rather random, in that I collect aches
and pains. That's right, I have a rather comprehensive collection from
my heels and ankles to the arthritis in my neck, sinus pressure to back
spasms, tingling fingers and you name it. I have a whole subcategory
full of various skin problems from eczema to hidradenitis to recurring
cellulitis. There are not many days when I'm pain free.

But you know what? I'm grateful that it's not worse. I can cope just
fine, thank you. And if it does get worse. . .well, I've had lots of
practice. Every day I think of the thousands upon thousands who are
worse off than I am and I realize that I don't have it so bad at all.

Rich can be reached at ri-@recipedujour.com
_______________________________________

Ham with Red Eye Gravy

3 slices country ham, about 1/8 inch thick
1/2 cup brewed coffee
biscuits, grits or rice

In a large cast iron skillet, cook ham 4 or 5 minutes per side.
Transfer ham to warm platter: keep warm. Quickly add coffee to hot
skillet, being careful to avoid splattering.

Cook, scraping pan to remove crusty bits until mixture boils vigorously.
Continue cooking about 3 minutes more or until mixture is reduced by
half.

Serve over biscuits, grits or rice. (I prefer biscuits) Makes 3 servings

rambli-@yahoo.com
_______________________________________

I got this recipe from a Texas tourism website. So easy to put together
the night before and pop in the oven the next morning. Lisa B.
kaits-@gmail.com

Texas Breakfast Casserole

1 can refrigerated crescent rolls
16 oz breakfast (bulk) pork sausage, cooked, drained well, and crumbled
8 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
12 oz (3 cups) Monterey Jack cheese, grated (pepperjack is good if you
like the heat)
6 eggs, beaten
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 can cream of onion soup

Spray a 13x9x2-inch glass baking pan with nonstick baking spray. Line
the prepared pan with the roll dough, sealing perforations. Scatter
sausage, mushrooms, and half the cheese over the dough. Mix eggs, salt,
and pepper with soup and pour over casserole. Sprinkle remaining cheese
over top. Cover and place in refrigerator overnight. Remove from
refrigerator 20 minutes or so before baking. Bake at 350F for 1 hour.
Makes 8 servings.

NOTE: You can also substitute cooked, crumbled bacon or cubed ham for
the sausage. The sausage is my preference in this dish.
_______________________________________

Simply Tim: FRIDAY FOOD THING
"Luzianne Coffee"

To view today's Simply Tim feature, go to his blog spot:

http://simplytim.wordpress.com/2012/05/11/fft-luzianne-coffee/
_______________________________________

"This is great as a party appetizer or a full meal. Tasty, full of
flavor AND good for you. The crunchy crust is what I really like! You
can play with the veggie toppings and cheeses for a great meal that is
fast and delicious! Our favorite quick meal!" I got this from another
recipe site some time ago.   Now these are simply yummy little
things!!!! jb jbreci-@gmail.com

Spinach and Feta Pita Bake

6 (6 inch) whole wheat pita breads
1 (6 ounce) tub sun-dried tomato pesto
2 roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped
1 bunch spinach, rinsed and chopped
4 fresh mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 pinch ground black pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Spread tomato pesto onto one side of each pita bread, and place them
pesto side up on a baking sheet. Top with tomatoes, spinach, mushrooms,
feta cheese, and Parmesan cheese. Drizzle with olive oil and season with
pepper.

Bake for 12 minutes in the preheated oven or until pita breads are
crisp. Cut into quarters and serve.
_______________________________________
_______________________________________

_______________________________________

ri-@recipedujour.com   Use “GNR” and the title of your recipe as the
be able to use your recipe!

to any and all family and friends.

only.

mailto:rdj-sub-@topica.com

resubscribe from your new address.

mailto:rdj-unsu-@topica.com

Recipe du Jour is strictly an opt-in service. We do not sell, loan, or
give our subscribers’ addresses to anyone for any reason. Our features
are intended as entertainment only.

.