Welcome Guest!
 RECIPE DU JOUR
RDJ-- GNR, 08-31-12  RDJ
 Aug 31, 2012 11:54 PDT

_______________________________________
Volume 15     Number 160
US Library of Congress ISSN: 1530-3292

_______________________________________

It’s Good Neighbor Recipes Friday!!

Welcome to our Good Neighbor Recipes edition of Recipe du Jour! On
Fridays we turn over the recipe presentation to you guys to share and
showcase your favorite recipes with the RDJ neighbors. If you have any
questions about any of the recipes offered today, write an email to the
address given with that specific recipe. If you wish to submit your own
favorite, guidelines are at the end of this mailing. And don’t forget to
forward this mailing to all your friends!

Guidelines for submitting recipes are at the end of this mailing.

Table of Contents:

Canadian Souffle
Heavenly Carrots
Chicken BLT Wraps with Aioli
Tomato and Onion Pie
Spicy Mexican Spirals
Toasted Reubens
Barbecue Shrimp
Ice Cubes

and don’t forget that our sister ezine, Dessert du Jour, is featuring
Good Neighbor Desserts this and every Friday. To subscribe, address a
blank email to
dessert-s-@topica.com

For metric conversion, try
http://www.onlineconversion.com/cooking_volume.htm
_______________________________________

Canadian Souffle

1 Cauliflower; medium, cut in-florets
2 tb Butter
2 tb Flour; all purpose
1 c Milk
Salt & pepper
Nutmeg, ground
4 Eggs; separated
1 c Cheddar cheese; strong, grated

Cook cauliflower in boiling, salted water until tender, drain well and
mash. Melt butter in medium saucepan, blend in flour and cook, stirring
over medium heat until bubbly; do not let mixture brown.

Meanwhile, bring milk to a boil in another saucepan. Add hot milk to
butter-flour mixture and cook, stirring over medium heat until sauce
thickens and is smooth. Season to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
Remove from heat.

Lightly beat egg yolks and stir into sauce. Then stir in cheese and
cauliflower until smooth. In a large bowl, beat egg whites until stiff
but not dry. Fold cauliflower mixture gently but thoroughly into beaten
egg whites. Pour into a buttered 2 quart (2 L) soufflé dish. Bake in
preheated 350F oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or till puffed, firm and
lightly browned. Serve at once. SERVES: 4-6

Sue   Cookinc-@aol.com
_______________________________________

Heavenly Carrots

4 cups cooked sliced carrots
1 1/2 cups croutons
1 1/4 cups shredded sharp cheese
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cups half and half
1/4 cup melted butter or margarine
1 teasp. Worcestershire sauce
1 teasp. salt

Place carrots in buttered 1 & 1/2 quart casserole dish. Stir in croutons
and cheese. Combine remaining ingredients and pour over carrot mixture.

Bake uncovered at 400F degrees for about 20 minutes, or until brown on
top. Serves 6.

Questions? Comments? mama-@aol.com
_______________________________________

Rich's Note:   Back To The Future

Okay, okay, I’ve learned my lesson. I swear and promise never to mention
backing into parking spaces again. Really. I had no idea how polarizing
a subject it is. It’s almost as controversial as trying to discuss
whether toilet paper should. . . well, you know. I can’t mention that
either.

Have a great holiday and be safe.

Rich can be reached at rrow-@gmail.com

Rich requests: If anyone is friends with the Wendy who contributes many
items to our Link of the Day feature, please contact me. Thank you.
_______________________________________

Too hot to cook? Make a no-fuss version of a French garlic spread to
add punch to chicken and classic BLT ingredients. dsi-@aol.com

Chicken BLT Wraps with Aioli
4 wraps

Aioli
1/3 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

Wraps
4 flour tortillas (10 inch)
8 leaves green leaf lettuce
1 package (9 oz) thinly sliced oven-roasted chicken breast
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1/4 cup bacon flavor bits or chips

In small bowl, beat aioli ingredients with wire whisk.

Spread on each tortilla, leaving 2-inch border at bottom of each.
Arrange 2 lettuce leaves on each tortilla, leaving 2-inch border at
bottom. Evenly top each with chicken, tomatoes and bacon bits. Fold
bottom edge of each tortilla up, and roll tightly. Secure, if desired,
with toothpick, foil or waxed paper.

To make ahead, just cover in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator.
_______________________________________

Tomato and Onion Pie

9-inch pie shell
4 tomatoes
2 large or 4 small Vidalia onions
Salt
Basil
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1 cup mayonnaise

Bake pie shell and let cool.

Layer sliced tomatoes and chopped onions and sprinkle each layer with
salt and sweet basil.

Spread cheese and mayonnaise, mixed, on top of pie.

Bake at 350F for 30 minutes, uncovered.

Pat Kersteter Chilipe-@yahoo.com
_______________________________________

Got this recipe from another recipe ezine. My family likes to have
"finger food night" for dinner at least twice a month. And this is a
favorite. I have used a combination of the meats, or just one or the
other. Always good. Lisa B. kaits-@gmail.com

SPICY MEXICAN SPIRALS

1 (8 ounce package) cream cheese, softened
1 cup finely chopped cooked chicken or cooked shrimp
1 cup shredded Pepper Jack cheese or a 4 cheese blend
1/3 cup finely chopped red pepper**
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 TBSP finely chopped fresh jalapeno**
2 tsp cumin
salt to taste
4 – 10 " flour tortillas
nonstick cooking spray

Combine filling ingredients. Salt to taste. Spread evenly over tortillas
and roll up each tightly around chicken/shrimp mixture. Wrap in plastic
& chill for at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours. Heat oven to 350F. Trim
ends that have no filling, then cut each roll into 1/2 inch slices.
Arrange on greased baking sheet. Spray tops of spirals with nonstick
cooking spray. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve hot
with salsa & sour cream. Make ahead – slice & freeze uncooked slices for
3 months. Bake as needed.

**I have substituted Rotel diced tomatoes and green chilies, drained
very well, for the jalapeno and red pepper. If you prefer your food
spicy but not hot, omit the jalapenos, and/or use the 4-cheese blend
rather than the Pepper Jack cheese.
_______________________________________

I found this in a 2002 Taste of Home magazine. Very, very good. jodie
rambli-@yahoo.com

Toasted Reubens

1/2 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
3 TBL ketchup
2 TBL sweet pickle relish
1 TBL prepared horseradish
4 tsp prepared mustard
8 slices rye bread
1 lb thinly sliced deli corned beef
1- 8 oz can sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
2 TBL margarine or butter
4 slices Swiss Cheese

In a small bowl, combine the first four ingredients; set aside. Spread
mustard on one side of four slices of bread. Layer with corned beef,
cheese, sauerkraut and mayonnaise mixture. Top with remaining bread.

In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add sandwiches, cover
and cook on both sides until cheese is melted. Serves 4
_______________________________________

This comes very close to Pascal's Manale's in New Orleans, Barbecue
Shrimp recipe, which is one of their signature dishes. Dot
coast-@cableone.net

BARBECUE SHRIMP

1 cup (2 sticks) salt butter
1 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons finely minced garlic
4 whole bay leaves, crushed fine
2 teaspoons crushed dried rosemary leaves
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon paprika
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
2 pounds whole fresh shrimp in the shell

In a heavy saute pan or sauce pan melt the butter, then add the oil and
mix well. Add all the other ingredients except the shrimp and cook over
medium heat, stirring constantly until the sauce begins to boil. Reduce
the heat to low and simmer for 7 to 8 minutes, stirring frequently, then
remove the pan from the heat and let it stand uncovered at room
temperature for at least 30 minutes. Add the shrimp to the sauce, mix
thoroughly and put the pan back on the burner. Cook over medium heat
for 6 to 8 minutes, or just until the shrimp turn pink, then put the pan
in a preheated 450 degrees oven and bake for 10 minutes. Serve equal
portions of shrimp with about 1/2 cup of sauce ladled over each one.
Serve this dish in gumbo or soup bowls and be sure to stir the sauce
well when you ladle it out; the solids that settle to the bottom of the
pan should be poured over the shrimp along with the sauce. Serve with
French bread for sopping in the sauce. Serves 4.
_______________________________________

A friend gave me this awesome recipe, she found it at Food.com (via
Rhe-@aol.com )

It is obviously a good one it has received 4.25 stars from 437 reviews.
; ) Check out the reviews at
http://www.food.com/recipe/ice-cubes-420398/review

Ice Cubes
Total Time: 2 hrs 2 mins
Prep Time: 2 mins
Cook Time: 2 hrs
Servings 2 Trays

I am publishing this recipe, because I am sure that there are other
families who have members who don't know how or have forgotten how to
make ice when the ice tray is empty.

Ingredients:
2 cups water (approximately)
2 tablespoons water (additional if needed)

Directions:
Empty the ice cubes that are left in the trays (if there are any left)
into the bin.

Take the trays over to the sink and fill them with cold water.

Place the water filled ice trays back in the freezer.

Replace the ice bin if you had to remove it.

Shut the door to the freezer.
_______________________________________
_______________________________________

_______________________________________

rrow-@gmail.com    Use “GNR” and the title of your recipe as the
be able to use your recipe!

to any and all family and friends.

only.

mailto:rdj-sub-@topica.com

resubscribe from your new address.

mailto:rdj-unsu-@topica.com

Recipe du Jour is strictly an opt-in service. We do not sell, loan, or
give our subscribers’ addresses to anyone for any reason. Our features
are intended as entertainment only.

.