Welcome Guest!
 RECIPE DU JOUR
RDJ-- Chicken Casserole, 09-04-12  RDJ
 Sep 04, 2012 15:26 PDT

_______________________________________
Volume 15      Number 163
US Library of Congress ISSN: 1530-3292

_______________________________________

Unforgettable Chicken Casserole

3 cups chopped deli-roasted chicken
2 cups finely chopped celery
1 cup (4 ounces) grated Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup light sour cream
1/2 cup light mayonnaise
1 (10 3/4-ounce) can reduced-sodium cream of chicken soup
1 (4-ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
1 1/2 cups French fried onion rings

Stir together first 8 ingredients in a large bowl. Spoon into a lightly
greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish.

Bake at 350F for 40 minutes; sprinkle onion rings evenly over top. Bake
5 more minutes or until bubbly around edges. Let stand 10 minutes before
serving. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

(nutritional info not available)
_______________________________________

TAKE TWO
By Walt Mills

Less than Human

A friend from the West Coast sent me an article about the rise of robots
in manufacturing that gave me a chill. The article noted that in some
plants in China, robotic arms guided by video cameras perform tasks more
reliably and in many cases far more accurately than human workers. In
the process, hundreds of factory workers are made redundant.

The same is happening with factories and warehouses in the US. Robots
are expensive, but they work for nothing and don’t need to sleep or take
a break. Neither do they have unions or care about working conditions.
At a farm in California, robot arms pack containers of organic lettuce
into shipping boxes, each arm replacing two to five workers. At a Tesla
automobile plant, 8 to 10 foot tall robot arms are capable of changing
their robot hands to perform a variety of tasks: welding, riveting,
bonding, and installing a component. On the East Coast, wirelessly
connected robots whiz through a warehouse at high speed finding and
technicians are all the human workers required.

The most chilling quote in the article was from Foxconn chairman, Terry
Gou. Foxconn employs more than one million workers in China and makes
the Apple products like the iPad and iPhone we all seem to want in our
hands. Gou was quoted in the official news agency as saying about his
desire to replace humans with robots: “As human beings are also animals,
to manage one million animals gives me a headache.”

I think of the Amish who live in our community and drive their buggies
in slow motion on the roads, wear farm clothes from a hundred years in
the past, have their telephones in small booths at the end of their farm
lane for emergencies, but not in their homes to disrupt their peace.
Every transaction with modernity is a decision, carefully mulled over by
elders over the course of years. Some technology is accepted, most is
rejected. Yet their children run barefoot and healthy, clear-eyed and
un-neurotic, as far as I can tell. They smile at me and wave from the
back of the horse cart.

It is dangerous to romanticize the past, and the future will arrive in
the form of robots and economic disruptions whether we are ready or not.
But where are our elders who will guide us through the changes that are
coming, and who will manage our transactions with modernity? Not, I
hope, the chairman of Foxconn, who already sees his workers as less than
human.

Read more of Walt's writing at his blog:
http://americanimpressionist.wordpress.com/

(The above column is copyright © 2012 by Walter Mills. All rights
reserved worldwide. To contact Walt, address your emails to
awmi-@verizon.net ).
_______________________________________

Link of the Day:

Udacity is a free online university offering courses in computer science
and robotics taught by professors from Stanford University. Anyone in
any country can enroll without charge in the same classes taken by elite
undergrads. You won't receive credit from Stanford for taking the
course, but you'll be given lectures, homework, even exams!

All courses currently offered are computer science classes ranging from
beginning programming to advanced cryptography.

http://www.udacity.com/

from Wendy
_______________________________________

Off The Shelf

Have you tried a new product lately? Want to share your opinion with
others? This is your chance to review new grocery items. Name the
product. Say what it is. We ask that you be specific about the qualities
you like or dislike without getting “long-winded.” We also ask you to
mention your city and state (or country) because all new products aren’t
available everywhere and some are just in test markets. Please, no
direct marketing items.

Put OTS or Off The Shelf in the subject line and send to
rrow-@gmail.com
___________________

I tried the recipe for baked eggs. 350F for 20 minutes cooked them
perfectly. I am the deviled egg maker in our family and this trick will
save me time in so many ways. Thanks to Barb the roadrambler for
posting this!!

Peggy from PA
____________________

Our local Harris Teeter supermarket has a pizza kiosk. I have been
skeptical about it, but Susan and I both worked yesterday (Labor Day)
and were tired when we got home. We decided to order a pizza, but the
local pizza place was closed for the holiday. So I ran up to Harris
Teeter, remembering they had a special on their freshly baked pizza on
Monday nights ($7.99 rather than $11.99). I got there 15 minutes before
they shut down the kiosk. The pies were fresh and hot. I bought one.

I should not have been skeptical. It was surprisingly good.

Rich
_______________________________________

Do You Remember?

Ooh Baby Baby
The Miracles 1965
William Robinson/Warrem Moore

Ooo la la la la
I did you wrong my heart went out to play
But in the game I lost you
What a price to pay, hey I'm crying

Ooo baby baby
Ooo baby baby

Mistakes I know I've made a few
But I'm only human
You've made mistakes too, I'm crying

Ooo baby baby
Ooo baby baby

I'm just about at the end of my rope
But I can't stop trying I can't give up hope
'Cause I feel that one day I'll hold you near
Whisper I still love you
Until that day is here I'm crying

Ooo baby baby
Ooo baby baby