Welcome Guest!
 RECIPE DU JOUR
RDJ-- GNR, 09-07-12  RDJ
 Sep 11, 2012 06:55 PDT

_______________________________________
Volume 15     Number 165
US Library of Congress ISSN: 1530-3292

_______________________________________

It’s Good Neighbor Recipes Friday!!

Welcome to our Good Neighbor Recipes edition of Recipe du Jour! On
Fridays we turn over the recipe presentation to you guys to share and
showcase your favorite recipes with the RDJ neighbors. If you have any
questions about any of the recipes offered today, write an email to the
address given with that specific recipe. If you wish to submit your own
favorite, guidelines are at the end of this mailing. And don’t forget to
forward this mailing to all your friends!

Guidelines for submitting recipes are at the end of this mailing.

Table of Contents:

Baked Chicken Breasts (Crockpot)
Abuelo's Tilapia Veracruz™
Greek Salad with Shrimp
Honey-Vanilla Yogurt w/ Fruit Salad
Tomato Mozzarella Salad
Spaghetti w/Braised Kale
Brown Sugar Baked Bologna
Smothered Chicken Crockpot

and don’t forget that our sister ezine, Dessert du Jour, is featuring
Good Neighbor Desserts this and every Friday. To subscribe, address a
blank email to
dessert-s-@topica.com

For metric conversion, try
http://www.onlineconversion.com/cooking_volume.htm
_______________________________________

Baked Chicken Breasts (Crockpot)

4-6 each chicken, breast halves, skinless if desired
2 Tbs. butter, or margarine, melted
10 3/4 oz cream of chicken soup, condensed
1/2 cup sherry, dry
1 Tsp. tarragon OR rosemary
1 Tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/4 Tsp. garlic powder
4 oz mushrooms, can, sliced, drained

Rinse chicken breasts and pat dry; place in crockpot. Combine remaining
ingredients and pour over chicken breasts. Cover and cook on LOW for 8
to 10 hours or on HIGH 4 to 5 hours. Makes 4 to 6 servings.

Sue Cookinc-@aol.com
_______________________________________

Nine out of ten times when I go to Abuelo's this is my order. I was
lucky enough to befriend the chef at my local restaurant and he was nice
enough to give me the recipe. It is divine! I've doubled this with
great luck. Any questions ... sharo-@q.com

Abuelo's Tilapia Veracruz™ - 1 Serving

1 large tilapia fillet
salt and pepper -- to taste
1/2 tablespoon butter -- clarified
Veracruz Sauce:
1 teaspoon butter -- clarified
1/2 teaspoon garlic -- minced
2 large scallops
5 medium shrimp
1 poblano pepper -- cut into 6 strips
salt and pepper -- lightly to taste
1 tablespoon white wine
1/4 cup Bloody Mary mix
1 small chili pepper -- güero, serrano or jalapeno, your choice
3 small green olives, pitted
1/4 cup diced tomatoes

Preheat oven to 400F. Season fish with salt and pepper.

Place clarified butter in an oven proof sauté pan. Preheat over medium
flame. Place fish in pan with the skin side facing up. Sauté for 1
minute. Turn fish over and place in oven for 2 minutes to finish
cooking.

Veracruz Sauce: Heat butter over medium heat. Add garlic, sea scallops
and shrimp. Sauté for 1 minute. Add poblano strips and seasoning.
Continue cooking for 30 seconds.

Add white wine to mixture and reduce. Add Bloody Mary Mix, chili pepper,
olives and tomatoes. Combine all ingredients. Do not overcook. Remove
from flame and pour over fish.
_______________________________________

Greek Salad with Shrimp
Serving Size : 4

4        quarts water
1 1/2 pounds large shrimp -- peeled and deveined
6        cups torn romaine lettuce
1 1/2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
1        cup slices red onion -- (1/4-inch-thick) separated into
rings
1       cup cucumber -- halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch
slices
1        tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
3        tablespoons red wine vinegar
2        teaspoons Dijon mustard
1        teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
3/4      teaspoon dried oregano
1/4      teaspoon salt
1/4      teaspoon black pepper
2        garlic cloves -- minced
1/2      cup crumbled feta cheese -- (2 ounces)
8        kalamata olives -- pitted and halved
4        peperoncini peppers

Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add shrimp; cook 2 minutes or
until done. Drain and rinse with cold water. Place shrimp in a bowl;
cover and chill.

Place lettuce, tomatoes, onion, and cucumber in a large bowl; toss to
combine. Combine parsley and next 7 ingredients (parsley through
garlic), stirring with a whisk. Spoon 1 tablespoon dressing over shrimp;
toss to combine. Add shrimp mixture and remaining dressing to lettuce
mixture; toss gently to coat. Spoon about 2 3/4 cups salad onto each of
4 plates. Top each serving with 2 tablespoons cheese, 4 olive halves,
and 1 peperoncini pepper. Serves 4.

Pat Kersteter chilipe-@yahoo.com
_______________________________________

This is an Ina Garten/FoodTV recipe. No need for tweaking, delicious as
is. Great for breakfast or a light lunch, as well as a dessert for those
watching their fat/calorie intake. Lisa B. kaits-@gmail.com

HONEY-VANILLA YOGURT WITH FRESH FRUIT SALAD

2 cups plain yogurt
2 tablespoons good honey
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Seeds scraped from 1/2 vanilla bean
1/2 orange, juiced
1 banana, sliced
1/2 pint fresh blueberries
1/2 pint fresh raspberries
1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and cut in half
1 bunch seedless green grapes, halved

Combine the yogurt, honey, vanilla extract, and vanilla bean seeds in a
bowl and set aside. Combine the orange juice and banana slices in a
separate bowl. Add the berries and grapes and gently mix the fruit
mixture together. Spoon the fruit into serving bowls and top with the
yogurt. Serves: 4.
_______________________________________

Tomato Mozzarella Salad

3 large tomatoes, sliced
8 oz mozzarella, sliced
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
dash pepper
1/4 cup minced fresh basil

On a large serving platter, alternate tomatoes and mozzarella slices.

In a jar with tight fitting lid, combine the oil, salt and pepper.
Shake well. Drizzle over tomatoes and cheese. Sprinkle with basil.
yield 6-8 servings

rambli-@yahoo.com
_______________________________________

Trying to add more veggies to my diet, and not sure if I liked kale, so
I decided to try this recipe from epicurious. It was pretty good, but I
think I'd like to try it with fresh spinach next time. I also stirred
in some goat cheese instead of sprinkling with parmesan. What good's a
recipe if you can't tinker with it, right? margo-@gmail.com

Spaghetti with Braised Kale

1 pound lacinato kale (about 2 bunches), large center ribs and stems
removed, cut crosswise into 1/2 inch slices
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 medium onion, finely chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
8 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced (I used 2 cloves)
1/2 pound spaghetti
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (I used 1 tsp bottled)
finely grated parmesan cheese

Rinse kale. Drain; transfer to bowl with some water still clinging.

Heat 2 tblsp oil in heavy large pot over med heat. Add chopped onion and
cook until soft and translucent (about 6 min), stirring occasionally.
Add sliced garlic and sprinkle with salt; cook until onion is golden
brown (about 5 minutes). Add kale and remaining 1 tblsp oil and toss
until wilted (about 3 minutes). Cover pot and reduce heat to med-low.
Continue cooking until kale is very tender, stirring occasionally and
adding water by teaspoonsful if dry (about 20 minutes).

Meanwhile, cook spaghetti in separate pot til al dente. Drain, reserving
1/4 cup liquid. Add cooked spaghetti to kale mixture. Add lemon juice
and 2 tblsp reserved cooking water. Toss. Add more liquid if too dry.
Sprinkle with parmesan.
_______________________________________

Brown Sugar Baked Bologna

    1 (6 1/2-pound) all-beef bologna
    1/2 cup Dijon mustard
    1 1/2 cups golden brown sugar
    1 loaf sliced white bread
    1 jar yellow mustard

Preheat the oven to 250F. Line a large roasting pan with foil to cover
well. Using a small sharp knife score the top of the bologna, cutting
about 1/4-inch deep, to create a diamond design.
Place the bologna, cut side down, in the foil lined pan and spread a
thin layer of Dijon mustard on the exposed areas. Using your hands,
press the brown sugar onto the Dijon mustard to create a coating.

Carefully turn the bologna over, so that the cut side is up, and spread
the top and sides with the remaining Dijon mustard. Press the remaining
brown sugar onto the mustard to coat the entire bologna well.

Place the bologna in the top third of the oven. Bake for 5 hours,
rotating the bologna slightly during cooking to keep the bottom from
burning.

Remove the bologna from the pan and place it on a large platter. Slice
the bologna 1/4 to 1/2-inch thick and make sandwiches on fresh white
bread with yellow mustard.

Note: I like to serve this with escallop potatoes and make it a main
dish instead of a sandwich. From   lou3-@webtv.net
_______________________________________

Smothered Chicken Crockpot

4 each chicken breasts, boneless
12 oz mushrooms, fresh
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can French onion soup
1 vegetables of choice: celery, chopped or baby corn, etc.

Cut chicken breasts into stew size chunks, and saute while washing and
cutting mushrooms in half. Then simply add all ingredients to chicken
and simmer for about 1 hour. You can also do this in a crock pot and
simmer all day till dinner if your want.

Sue Cookinc-@aol.com
_______________________________________
_______________________________________

_______________________________________

rrow-@gmail.com    Use “GNR” and the title of your recipe as the
be able to use your recipe!

to any and all family and friends.

only.

mailto:rdj-sub-@topica.com

resubscribe from your new address.

mailto:rdj-unsu-@topica.com

Recipe du Jour is strictly an opt-in service. We do not sell, loan, or
give our subscribers’ addresses to anyone for any reason. Our features
are intended as entertainment only.

.