Welcome Guest!
 RECIPE DU JOUR
RDJ-- Ham and CheeseScones, 09-10-12  RDJ
 Sep 12, 2012 14:24 PDT

_______________________________________
Volume 15      Number 167
US Library of Congress ISSN: 1530-3292

_______________________________________

Ham and Cheese Scones

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
3 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded reduced-fat extra-sharp cheddar cheese
3/4 cup finely chopped 33%-less-sodium ham (about 3 ounces)
3/4 cup fat-free buttermilk
2 large egg whites
Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 400F.

Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine
flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and pepper in a large bowl; cut in
butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse
meal. Stir in cheese and ham. Combine buttermilk and egg whites,
stirring with a whisk. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead lightly 4 to 5
times with floured hands. Pat dough into an 8-inch circle on a baking
sheet coated with cooking spray. Cut dough into 8 wedges, cutting into
but not through dough. Bake at 400F for 20 minutes or until lightly
browned. Makes 8 servings.

Nutritional Information
Amount per serving
    Calories: 217
    Calories from fat: 30%
    Fat: 7.2g
    Saturated fat: 4.1g
    Monounsaturated fat: 1.6g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
    Protein: 10.4g
    Carbohydrate: 27.1g
    Fiber: 0.9g
    Cholesterol: 26mg
    Iron: 1.8mg
    Sodium: 519mg
    Calcium: 235mg
_______________________________________

Rich's Note:   Wonderstruck

Wonderstruck is a novel by Brian Selznick. It’s one of those childrens’
books for adults, which are becoming more and more popular. I loved it.

Don’t let the size of the book daunt you. Despite the novel being over
600 pages long, it’s mostly drawings. I read and finished it in two
lunches and one breakfast. Really. By way of explanation, here is the
official synopsis:

“Playing with the form he created in his trailblazing debut novel, The
Invention of Hugo Cabret, Brian Selznick once again sails into uncharted
territory and takes readers on an awe-inspiring journey.
“A boy named Ben longs for the father he has never known. A girl named
Rose dreams of a mysterious actress whose life she chronicles in a
scrapbook. When Ben discovers a puzzling clue in his mother's room, and
Rose reads an enticing headline in the newspaper, both children set out
alone on desperate quests to find what they are missing.
“Ben's story, set in 1977, is told entirely with words, while Rose's
story, set fifty years earlier, is told entirely with pictures. The two
stories weave back and forth before ultimately coming together. Rich,
complex, affecting, and beautiful–with over 460 pages of original
artwork–Wonderstruck is a stunning achievement from a uniquely gifted
artist and visionary.”

I don’t want to tell you much more about it because it’s best to
discover it yourself. Please do. You won’t regret it.

Rich can be reached at rrow-@gmail.com
_______________________________________

Link of the Day:

On May 24, 1989, the Australian photographer and mountaineer, Roderick
Mackenzie, reached the summit. He was number 271 since 1953. He made, as
far as is known, the only 360 degree panorama from the top.

http://www.panoramas.dk/fullscreen2/full22.html

When you see the panorama, click the icon on the top right corner to
make the image full-screen. There is also a + and - sign in bottom right
of screen to allow you to zoom in or out

from Wendy
_______________________________________

Do You Remember?

SECOND HAND ROSE
Barbra Streisand 1965

Father has a business strictly second hand
Everything from toothpicks to a baby-grand
Stuff in our apartment came from father's store
Even clothes I'm wearing someone wore before
It's no wonder that I feel abused
I never get a thing that ain't been used
I'm wearing second hand hats
Second hand clothes
That's why they call me
Second hand Rose
Even our piano in the parlor
Daddy bought for ten cents on the dollar
Second hand pearls
I'm wearing second hand curls
I never get a single think that's new
Even Jake, the plumber, he's a man I adore
He had the nerve to tell me he's been married before!
Everyone knows that I'm just
Second hand Rose
From second Avenue!
From Second Avenue!
_______________________________________
_______________________________________

rrow-@gmail.com    Use “GNR” and the title of your recipe as the
be able to use your recipe!

to any and all family and friends.

only.

mailto:rdj-sub-@topica.com

resubscribe from your new address.

mailto:rdj-unsu-@topica.com

features are intended as entertainment only.

.